Squash Cemetery | Teen Ink

Squash Cemetery

March 8, 2016
By mathewstar100 BRONZE, Edison, New Jersey
mathewstar100 BRONZE, Edison, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was midnight on a windy day. The wind was howling like wolves at night. Benjamin the pumpkin, Sam the squash, and Robert the tomato went trick or treating in the Squash Cemetery. “You think we should be here?” said Robert shivering. “Totally! I heard that you get the most candy inside the house of the cemetery!” exclaimed Benjamin proudly. The gray rusty sign laid on the ground with the words “Squash Cemetery”. Sweating, the three vegetables walk into the cemetery. Inside were line and lines of graves of dead vegetables. “There’s the house!” shouted Sam. They ran to the old black house that was at the center of the cemetery. “Come on, let’s go!” Benjamin said excitedly. He stepped on the porch, but because the house was 500 years old he broke a hole on the porch. “Ouch ouch!” screamed Benjamin in agony. Robert and Sam pulled Benjamin out of the prickly porch. “Are you ok Benjamin,” said Robert worriedly. He saw that Benjamin had cut his hip and was bleeding pumpkin juice. “Ok, if we want to get in that house, we have to be quiet and careful.” planned Benjamin. “Are you sure,” said Sam. “ I heard that some pepper went into this house and never came back. All that was left was a pepper pie.” “AAHHHHHHH!!!!” screamed Robert. Everyone looked at Robert with an annoyed look. “Oh sorry, got too into the moment.” apologized Robert. After the talking, the three vegetables walked through the porch carefully and got to the door. Stuck with slime, Benjamin pushed the door with all his might and finally got it open. The hallway was pitch black and Benjamin could've sworn that he heard spiders crawling and creeping around. “I think I’ll go home.” said Robert anxiously. “No!” barked Benjamin. “We came all this way to the cemetery which is really far away and for goodness sake I cut myself just for this moment! So you are not giving up just because of your fears!!” Benjamin shouted angrily. “Fine, but if we end up dead in this haunted house, I’m blaming you.” said Robert. They walked carefully in the haunted house. As everyone got into the door, it slammed behind them. “Now what, we can’t even see where we are.” whined Sam. Luckily Robert came prepared and got his flashlight. “Wow,” said Benjamin in amazement. “See, told you it was worth it!” Throughout the whole house was spider webs, slime all over the wall, and the old moist wood ready to break. “Come on let’s go into the kitchen, that’s where the candy is.” commanded Benjamin. The three vegetables walked through the hallway, passing through spiders, furry creatures, and slime that occasionally dropped from the ceiling. Luckily none of these obstacles harm them. “Over here!” exclaimed Benjamin excitedly. They head over to the door that said kitchen. Robert was excited until he saw the door had a picture of a vegetable salad with tomatoes. “Umm…” said Robert nervously. Maybe I can stay while you get the candy.” “Yeah, me too.” Sam said joining. “Ok, suit yourself, but I call dibs on most of the candy.” said Benjamin excitedly. Benjamin walked into the kitchen. Robert and Sam stood by the doorway cowering in fear. After a few minutes, there was a scream. “AHAHAHAH!!!!” This blew Robert’s mind. “Oh no!! What are we going to do! What if Benjamin is in trouble!” screamed Robert in a tense manner. Sam said “Ok, here is the plan. We go into the kitchen…” Robert started walking away. “Hey!! Come on!! We got to save Robert!!” “Fine.” Robert agreed. “But you go first.” The two vegetables walked into the kitchen. They tiptoed across the ceramic floor. They started to climb the kitchen table. Once they got to the top Sam and Robert almost vomited. What stood in front of them was a hot ready pumpkin pie. “Oh no, it’s too late!!! Benjamin was cooked!!” shouted Robert. “We got to get out of here!” screamed Sam. They quickly got down the table running out the kitchen door through the hallway. They ran and ran until they bumped into a large figure. “Benjamin!!!” shouted Sam and Robert in excitement. Benjamin was standing in front of the vent. “What happened?” asked Sam. “You see, what happen is that when I got to the kitchen, I climbed the table all the way to the top. Then I saw a pumpkin pie. I got terrified and climbed down the table to the door, but the door was locked. So I had no other choice but to go down the vent.” explained Benjamin. Sam and Robert weren’t pleased. After a fantastic yelling from Sam and Robert, the three vegetables planned to get out of the house. Hopeful, the brave vegetables hopped to the door, but in horror, the door slammed shut. “Great, now what do we do?” said Robert sarcastically. The three decided to go to the bedroom looking for hope. “Maybe there’s a vent here so we can escape,” explained Robert. The three pulled as hard as they can trying to get the icky muck out of the edges of the vent. After what seemed hours of pulling, panting, and sweating, the vent flew open. “Finally!” exclaimed Benjamin. But Benjamin spoke too soon. The vent blew the three vegetables out of sight into to the wooden shelf. “This has to be the greatest day I ever had in my whole entire life!!!” shouted Sam angrily. “Woah…. look at this.” awed Benjamin. Next to them had been a small door that said exit. “Woohoo! We found an exit!!!!” shouted Robert in excitement. The three opened the door and pushed themselves out. Well, they should have thought sooner, but below them was nothing. They were falling to what seemed for hours. The three hoping for life hoped at the right time. As they reached the ground, they landed on an old tattered mattress. “Phew… that was a close one.” said Benjamin thankfully. The three ran off to their house and never returned to the cemetery.