Concealed part:1 | Teen Ink

Concealed part:1

February 4, 2016
By MelancholyGalaxy BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
MelancholyGalaxy BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Drip… drip, The reminisce of the storm lingered in the air. Water droplets fell from metal mailboxes to the puddles on the ground. Grey storm clouds were rolling in the sky. The dreary landscape that laid before me looked like it came straight out of a black and white photograph. Rivers seemed to rapidly flow down the middle of the streets,, glistening in the dim light above. Smoke from the tops of houses dissipated into the haze.
Tightening my cotton jacket around my body, I sauntered towards the corner. Deep, cold breathes of air with every step I took. With several dollars in my pocket, I turned the corner and opened the glass door. Warm air greeted me like it was waiting for my arrival. Walking around the vacant store, I finally found what I was looking for. I placed two mountain dews and a bag of peanut m&m’s on the counter. The clock on the wall behind the clerk read 15 passed 6 o’clock. My increasing paranoia finally exploded. I shook fiercely when the service bell rang. In walked a tall guy, who’s face I couldn’t see except for the eyes. Blue eyes glistening with green, that reminded me of the ocean waves from when I was younger. A happier time before my mother went missing. Drawing my attention back to the contents in my hand, I walked up to the counter and started pulling change from my jean pockets.
“Excuse me Miss, but this isn’t enough.”
The cashier spoke up, startling me. Panic rushed through my body. I was already late, If I don’t return with any of the sweets placed on the counter, I was doing myself in for another helpless night. Green flimsy dollars were placed next to me. Looking up into the guy’s ocean eyes, a feeling struck me hard. I lost the air within my lungs, and I couldn’t couldn’t breath. The hair on my arms and neck stuck up on ends. He struck fear into me and I didn’t understand why.
“Thank you.”
I said barely audible before grabbing the plastic bag and walking out as calmly as I could out into the damp neighborhood.
I tried taking a breath of relief but chocked. I felt eyes on me, watching me, stalking me. A sudden memory flashed in my eyes remembering the last time I was late. He would be waiting angerly on the broken, grey recliner, watching his favorite football team losing the game. Beer bottles scattered all over the floor and side tables. Stacks of cigarette packages lay about the house. The snapping of a twig brought me back to the reality I was now facing. I froze mid step and looked around. My skin started to crawl and my left eye started to twitch slightly. Not only was I terrified, but I was not alone like I believed I was.
My shoes splashed water on the hems of my blue jeans as I ran. That negative feeling was stuck to the pit of my stomach as I ran. Dread hit me, multiplying my paranoia. My foot hit the frost covered grass of my front yard.  Inside I could hear my father yelling at his tv in anger, keeping my head down I slowly made my way to the front door. Mentally, I prepared myself for the trouble I knew I was in. I knew that I was going to be late, but I shouldn’t be afraid of the consequences yet I was. Slowly, I took my last breath of fresh air before entering the poisonous home. A small creak sounded as I opened the front door.
The roar of my alarm clock exploded into the emptiness that surrounded me. I scrambled for the blaring noise, to shut it off before my father came to consciousness and I wouldn’t be late to school. A throbbing pain thumped in the rhythm of my heartbeat. My head pounded with a migraine. On my nightstand stood a small orange bottle of painkillers. I shook out 2 white, oval pills onto my hand. Taking a gulp of water, I threw the pills into mouth and swallowed. Getting up and out of my musty room. I headed toward the small bathroom down the hall, being careful not to wake my father.
A deep purple was now swelling around eye. Deep cuts and cigarette burns littered my body. Old bruises were now fading into green and brown, surrounded by new marks of black, purple, and blue. My jaw clenched but pain would shake through my figure. Not knowing if it was just the nerves or if it was dislocated, I continued getting ready through the invigorating pain. I watched my arms disappear behind a thin layer of white cotton material. It concealed the horrifying marks left on my pale skin. I had shoved my arms the rest of the way in my black blazer, and grabbed my bag.
My feet slapped hard on the wet concrete. The same feeling crept into my stomach as the day before had. Each step I took, the quicker my heart would beat. My rapid breaths hung in the frosty air around me. The bag sat low on my folded arms. I walked along the silent street, filled with still homes. No one in sight, yet I could feel the eyes on me. Watching my every move. The sloshing of car tires moving on the drenched asphalt brought me out of my deranged thoughts. Mud was splattered along sides of a computer fixing company van. It zoomed passed me in a fast speed before turning onto another road. Settling my nerves, and trying to calm myself. I heard more wet tires coming back. I tried biting my lip to contain the quickly regained fear.looking off to the side of the road, pretending not to see the car.
Trees were towering over me. blocking out the rising sun, complete darkness. Shadows were peaking out behind the tall lumber. Sneaking out into the frigid morning air. I can only remember that moment, with the tall darksome trees. It’s like a nightmare. Fear over took my small figure. I pounded on the ground and felt slime splash onto me every time I hit the concrete. My eyes twitched, my mind raced. I felt trapped in darkness. There was a single light that illuminated a small cardboard box with the words “Open Me’ scrambled on it and  the edges were frayed out. My eyes were filled with salty tears as I got up onto my feet and headed toward the box. Each step I took got heavier, and the smell of raw sewage become prominent. My hands hit the metal wall, making it ring out. Drowning out the sound of honking horns and traffic from above. Sinking back to her knees, she curled back in a ball. feeling like all hope was lost.