The Start of Humanities Revival | Teen Ink

The Start of Humanities Revival

By Anna2001 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
Anna2001 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

Fifty years ago our world changed completely when a radioactive explosion destroyed our earth’s ecosystem. It wiped out all of our advanced technology and we were left in the dark.

Luckily, our nation’s president, Mr. Spadico , led all of the survivors into a bomb shelter as big as Delaware.

Thirteen years later and they were losing resources and fast. They needed a way to stop reproduction, so he separated the women and men. Each side would govern and provide for themselves. You could not try to run to each other’s side. The punishment for trying was DEATH.

Then, they started making test tube babies. Only twenty a year. Ten girls and ten boys. My name is Saint and i am only a mere test tube baby, but I will stop this and reunite our men and women because we are dying out.

Together, the rebels will fight to save humanity.

Together, we will win.

Part 1

I come home to find my mother and sister reading the newspaper. It’s called “ The Joint “ and it’s about both the men and women’s sectors. It reads:      “ Four Dead in Rebellion Rush”

“ I’m home from school! “ I yell as i walk across our compact apartment. “ How was school, honey?” my mom asks.” I’m going out. Be back at dinner.” I rush out because I know that sooner or later the question of where I am always headed to after school will pop up. I am going to the rebellion meeting that takes place behind the school’s kitchen stove. Let me explain. Long ago someone blew a tunnel up and now there is a giant room behind the stove. Anyways, while running to get to the kitchen before the school closes, I am stopped by a chatty girl named Gabby. Ironic, right? I guess that it’s good that she stopped me because I need someone to distract the guard at the school. “ Hey Gabby, that guard over there keeps asking about your scene in drama. Will you go show her?” She gallops off into the direction of the guard.

Now that I am alone and the guard is distracted, I can sneak around to the back entrance. When I get to the meeting everyone is quiet. Probably because of our plan to take over the men’s sector TONIGHT. We are then split into two groups.

The plan is to have group one charge at the sector and group two sneak into it through the back tunnel.” How are we going to do this without dying?” As soon as this woman says this, an outrage assembles. There are people yelling and screaming. Some people are even leaving. I decide to get to the podium to remind them about what we are trying to achieve. “ We need to do this or our future isn’t looking so great. Our population will go extinct if we don’t do this.” I say. “ Well, there won’t be anyone to carry on our population if everyone tries to fix it.” A woman chips in. “We’ll all die” “ Yeah!” More people are starting to leave. This is my worst nightmare come true.

Part 2

By the end of the meeting only I remain to carry out our mission. Or, my mission. I decide to run group two’s mission. Sneaking.

There’s a small tunnel leading into the men’s sector. Pitch black and one mile long, I think I can make it.

I start down the tunnel at a jog. Eager to get there but not willing to lose my breath, I keep pace with the drops of water dripping off the wall. All of a sudden I trip and fall onto a hard material. It feels rubbery and round. I strike one of the matches that I brought with me. The object  is a boot. Then, I look up to find a guard. Everything starts to sting and then turns black.

Part 3

Waking up to a sharp stinging in my neck, I hit my head on a metal plate. Sweet, a cage. Where am I? I start to look for some sort of a clue as to where I am. A man comes out of the shadows. “Who- Who are you? Where am I?” I am shaking with fear. “My name is President Spadico and you are in sector 11897 , otherwise known as the men’s sector. You should be pleased that you are here, Saint.” How does he know my name. “The punishment for trying to cross to another sector is death. Shot at the scene.So, you’ll be surprised to find that we don’t kill children under 18. We do assume that you are apart of the rebellion and we can’t just have children running around and trying to break apart our sweet and peaceful world. He knows?!?!? Everyone makes him out to be this amazing Ghandi of our time. “ So Saint, unfortunately we have to bring your acts to the gro--.” A triplet of knocks rings throughout the room and frankly I’m glad that it stopped this idiot from talking. I catch a glimpse of the security monitor to my right and see four people at the door. Could it be? It’s the people from the newspaper. The four thought to be dead.

They burst through the door. Everything seems to go slow motion. Fists are punching and knives are stabbing. Guns are blazing. It seems like forever but I know that it was only a few minutes.

When the smoke rises, President Spadico is on the ground. I run to one of the rebels that are lying on the floor, a man named James. I can’t help but feel sad for him and can feel the tears rolling down my cheeks. “ This is not the end, you have to save them” And just as his eyes close, I reply “Yes James. This is not the end. This is only the beginning. The beginning to a peaceful end.”

End of Piece 1.