Chase that Crush of yours | Teen Ink

Chase that Crush of yours

Would you ever chase down your missing crush? It would probably take a lot of guts to chase down someone missing, but where would you start? You apparently might not actually risk your life trying to find your crush. You’ll forget and find a new one. The author, John Green, creates a story book, Paper Towns, in which a boy falls madly in love with a girl, but she suddenly one day disappears.
Quentin Jacobsen goes on an adventure to find Margo Spiegelman. Quentin and Margo had been best friends in elementary school, but over the course of time, they both grew up and became strangers. Quentin is a geeky kid who hangs out with his fun quirky friends. He loves to play video games, and chat with his friends on his computer. On the other hand, Margo has been the most daredevil, popular, and beautiful girl in the entire school. Margo loves to tell her adventurous stories, and hangout with her friends at the mall. Quentin and Margo have their own sets of friends. For Quetin, the nerd and the gamers, and for Margo, the popular and the showoff. One day Margo knocks on Quentin’s window to ask if he wanted to go on an adventure with her. After spending the entire day with each other, Margo unexpectedly, and mysteriously, disappears.
When she sneaks out at night, Margo has a record of leaving clues behind for anyone who wants her location. Quentin starts to find clues leading to Margo’s disappearance, and slowly begins to think Margo isn’t the person he thought she was at all.  Starting with several books of poems, Quentin and his friend, Ben, discover a clue in Margo’s door jam, telling them to go to an address she had written down. But it was the next clue that made Quentin determined to find Margo. Quentin and his friends had gone to the address, which led them to an abandoned building, where they found a hole that led into another section of a broken down building. As one of them dropped his flashlight, making it shine onto the wall which had fresh wet paint on it, the indirect light caused hidden words to pop out and read, “YOU WILL GO TO THE PAPER TOWNS AND NEVER COME BACK.”
I am not really much of a reader, but this book really had me on edge every time I read it. I loved how the things John Green talks about Quentin and his friends caused made me to relate to the adventure of solving a mystery and of how it can be scary. This book is a book for someone who appreciates mystery, and wants to know what happens. What I really liked about it was that it was a quick read,  instead of having five or six chapters introducing every character in the book. In the book, Paper Town, John Green wrote a short introduction, and jumped right into the fun mystery and adventure of the story. I did not regret reading this, and I hope you would read this great novel.