Close Call | Teen Ink

Close Call

By noserp GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
noserp GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“It’s not working,” Wally muttered.
“Well, you better get it to work because in five minutes we’re going to be blown to pieces,” I said.
“Great. Thanks for the heads up, Russell. Like I didn’t know that already.”
The red numbers flashed across the little digital screen and my heart jumped each time another minute went by. Beads of sweat rolled down Wally’s forehead and his round glasses slipped down the bridge of his nose as he worked furiously. Connected to the screen were a bundle of wires and then a bunch of red, cylindrical sticks: the explosives. Wally dug through the wires, snipping certain ones with a bolt cutter. Walter and I had worked as partners in the FBI for years. He was the brain and I was the brawn. We had been in many life-threatening situations before but none as bad as this.
“Two minutes, Wally,” I said, panic coming through in my voice. The bomb continued to beep with every passing second.
“Is everyone out of the building?” he asked, sternly.
“Yes, but if we don’t get out of here soon, there’ll be nothing left of us.”
“The agency is counting on us. If we let this thing blow, this building will be wrecked and innocent civilians killed. I’m working on it, okay? I just need another minute.”
“Well, that’s just perfect because you only have one more minute.”
Dread and panic were setting in and I began to pace the smooth marble floor of the office building. The only sound I could hear was that dreadful mechanical beep every second and visions of my body exploding into pieces of flesh and guts kept popping up in my mind. Time continued to pass and I suddenly felt like I had lived my whole life just to be blown up in a Wall Street office building.
45…44…
“We’ve got to get out of here now!” I shouted.
“Wait, I’ve almost got it!” he yelled back.
By this time his whole face was soaked in sweat and his glasses were hanging off of one ear. His fingers moved frantically but nimbly.
32…31…30…
“Come on!”
I tried desperately to pull him away from the bomb but he pushed me back and continued cutting wires, trembling all over. Normally, I’d be able to rip him away easily but right then, I felt faint and weak. At this point we had a slim chance of making it out and even if we did, the building would collapse on us.
19…17…16…
There were still so many things I wanted to do in my life: places to go, things to experience, people to meet. I couldn’t die now. I tried again but he refused to get up. For just one moment, I considered leaving Wally behind. Without having to struggle and pull him along, there was a tiny chance that I would survive. But I knew I couldn’t. He was my best friend and I would feel guilty for the rest of my life if I survived and he didn’t. 
10…nine…
“WALLY, WE HAVE TO GO NOW!”
Seven…six…five…We were going to die.  Four…three… Wally’s hands shook violently and he cut random wires, panic surging through him. I screamed like a madman. Two…one…
“I DID IT!” Wally shouted, holding up four fat wires.
I waited a second in disbelief and nothing happened. I collapsed to the ground out of relief, tears pouring out of my eyes like faucets. I looked up at Wally. He was still shaking and it looked like he had taken a shower in his clothes.
“That was a close call, buddy,” I said, trying to smile. Wally grinned.