Tween Wolf? | Teen Ink

Tween Wolf?

November 9, 2015
By elliefeltovic SILVER, Simsbury, Connecticut
elliefeltovic SILVER, Simsbury, Connecticut
8 articles 3 photos 0 comments

“R-E-N! B-R-O! O-K RENBROOK LET’S GO!”
As our team finishes the chant we stalk onto the field, giving venomous looks to the opposing team; predators closing in on our prey. The Renbrook Varsity Field Hockey team is known around the state for its predatory demeanor and quite vexing habit of pulverizing our opposers. While our girls would never stoop so low as to belittle the other team or flaunt our victories, we can’t help but take pride in the abashed look of our opponents.
I play right back, which is a defensive position on the right side of the field. I am the first line of defense, so my job is to fend off the advances of the opposing team. I walk to my place on the twenty-five yard line and get into a crouched stance. My knees are bent, head down, eyes on the ball. The whistle blows and I run slightly forward so as not to be too far up. The ball come nears me, and I send it back up the field. As one of my team members, Samantha, dribbles the ball up towards the goal, I notice something in the middle of the field. As soon as I saw it, it was gone. I must have been mistaken because it almost looked like… no. Those aren’t real, but if anyone asked I would have sworn I saw a monster.
It wasn’t a monster exactly, more like an enormous wolf. In the quick second I looked I saw that it had shaggy and matted fur that appeared dark green while its stomach was bright white. It was the size of a small bull and its paws looked as big as a grown man’s hand. As the game winds down to another victory for Renbrook, my mind keeps cycling back to the image of the creature. I knew it was outlandish to think that I had actually seen something, but it had felt so real. When I got home, I went on my computer and searched what I had seen. To my surprise it came up with results. The creature I had seen was a Cu Sith, a large wolf from Scottish folklore. As I scrolled down the Wikipedia page my blood ran cold. The Cu Sith was an omen of death, something like a Grim Reaper. I became so engrossed in delving into the information about this creature that I didn’t even hear the doorbell ring.
Dylan walked into my room with a cool swagger and his distinct smell of cigarettes and cologne. Dylan and I have been friends since we were three years old when I moved next door to him. His mother was a heavy smoker, so I had become accustomed to the smell, which used to nauseate me as a child. Since I was so used to the smell, I did not know that had Dylan walked in. It was only when he came up to my desk and leaned over my shoulder, so as to see what I was looking at on my computer, that I gave a start.
“Dylan! You scared me half to death! When did you get here?” I asked.
“Not long ago. What are you looking at?” His voice more curt than curious. He seemed uneasy.
“You’re going to think I’m crazy, but I thought I saw this Cu Sith at my field hockey game today. I wanted to get a good look but as soon as I saw it, it was gone.”
“This was at your game?” Dylan asked, aghast. Why did he look so scared?
“Dylan what’s wrong? You look like you’ve seen a ghost,” I said.
“Katherine. You have no idea what this means. I have so much to tell you”
      ??
The last thing I expected Dylan to say was that he was a werewolf. At first I scoffed, thinking it was a joke, but as I saw the growing trepidation on his face I knew he wasn’t joking. After I had grappled with this revelation for a while, I was ready to address the task at hand. Dylan imparted to me that the werewolf gene had been in his family for generations, and on his thirteenth birthday he began showing the signs. He also told me more information about the Cu Sith. The Cu Sith is an ancient creature who stalked people in villages, ravaging them at night and making them believe that it was werewolves. The werewolves began having to go into hiding. Dylan’s pack is a sworn enemy of the Cu Sith, and it is their job to kill it. My heart plummeted when I thought about Dylan going up against that foul creature; it would have dire consequences.
The next day at school Dylan and I devised a plan. We figured out that the Cu Sith was targeting me because I was close to Dylan. We figured that the monster would plan its first attack at the IDMA, this is a pivotal time because the whole school would be in disarray making it easy to slip into the chaos. The plan had to be foolproof or it would end in calamitous consequences.
As I was walking around the IDMA I caught a glimpse of the creature. I gave the cryptic signal to Dylan. We then slipped out of the crowd and headed towards the capacious library. I felt like King Arthur leading a crusade in Camelot, although I was a bit nervous about the impending scene. I habitually go to the library so I knew the route by heart, which was good because I was quite distracted. We ran up the ramp to the library and I knew it was already there. I could hear it.
The volatile screeching it produced was enough to make any gallantry I might have had slip away. The creature stared at Dylan with such enmity you could feel his burning stare. At that moment I saw Dylan’s image swept away and when I looked where he was standing just moments ago, I was staring into the eyes of a wolf.
Wolf Dylan is an amazingly beautiful creature. His fur is a deep auburn and his eyes are a vibrant, piercing blue. He seems to have a newfound vitality that he didn’t have before. Before I can register what happened, the Cu Sith slashes his claws into Dylan. I scream and try to mediate the fight but to no avail. The fight was rankling me because all I wanted to do was help Dylan, but I knew it was best to cower in the corner of the library and wait. As the two fought, books were flying off the shelves, pages scattering everywhere and computers were being ripped off desks. The library was going to be completely defaced by the time this was over. Then I saw them. Coming in through the library door were three of the Cu Sith’s cronies. I knew I had to distract them because Dylan could not fight off four wolves. I then thought of the perfect ruse. I took a stapler off of the librarians desk and crept slowly to the windows. Once I was there I made a racket; throwing books on the ground, knocking over chairs, and scratching the tables. When the wolves heard the noises, they came over to the windows, thinking it was Dylans accomplice. I then threw the stapler out the window and my plan worked perfectly. All three wolves jumped after it and didn’t realize their blunder until it was too late. I basked in the glory of my successful plan until I realized that I had negated to think about any plebeians walking around below. Before I could upbraid myself, I heard a yelping noise.
I raced over to where Dylan lay on the ground yelping. Seeing him in pain only fueled my anger towards the Cu Sith. I saw it snarling over me and knew I had to make it rue the day it decided to mess with me. I knew exactly what to do. At first I wanted to stab it with a piece of a beaker from the science labs, because I knew they had been tainted with all sorts of chemicals, but I knew that would never work because it was not big enough. I then ran as fast as I could down to the woodworking room. When I got there, I grabbed the biggest hand saw I could find and took to waiting. As soon as I heard the snarling sounds of the Cu Sith I jumped out and brandished my weapon. To my surprise, the animal ran right into it and dropped dead onto the floor.
Right after the creature died he disappeared into a golden dust. When I went to go get Dylan, he was human again, and looked at me with such renown it made my heart glow. I was honored to be the recipient of his friendship. Later that month I had to stand in front of the werewolf council and tell them about what had happened. They bestowed upon me a medal of honor, and I was ecstatic. It was ornate and beautiful.
Life after that incident went back to normal for the most part. School was still school and Renbrook was the same except that the library was a mess. Dylan and I have become even better friends now that we can be completely open with each other. I will never forget that exhilarating action-packed adventure as long as I live.