Dishonored | Teen Ink

Dishonored

September 17, 2015
By JoyceJoycie BRONZE, Toronto, Other
JoyceJoycie BRONZE, Toronto, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you do it right, once is enough."


DISHONORED
    Corvo Attano woke up to the sound of a boat’s engine rumbling.
    “Had a good nap, did you?” the boat’s driver asked jokingly.
    “Quite. It was a long journey to and from the talks with the other kingdoms. And also, after a while, the duty of being the Empress’s personal bodyguard starts to wear down on you.” Corvo answered.
    “So did you do it? Do we have a cure for the rat plague yet?”
“Yes, but I will need to speak with the Empress Kaldwin in person first.”
“Alright then, hang on tight. We’ll be there in a flash.”
Once Corvo’s boat docked at the dock, Corvo thanked the driver and started walking towards the gazebo but was surprised by the Empress’s daughter, Emily, who sprang out from behind a railing and hugged him.
“Corvo! I’ve missed you so much!” squealed Emily happily.
“And I you, Emily.” Corvo replied with tired happiness in his voice.
“Do you want to play a game of hide and seek, Corvo?”
“First I have to go talk to your mother but I promise that I will play with you later, alright, Emily?”
“Fine. Hmph! Being an adult is no fun at all. You don’t have any time to play hide and seek!” At that, Corvo laughed, hugged Emily one last time, and walked into the gazebo with her and was surprised to see Spymaster Burrows talking with the Empress. Once Corvo walked into the gazebo, the Empress turned around, broke into a big smile, and hugged Corvo.
“Well, if it isn’t Corvo Attano.” the Empress remarked happily.
“It is good to see you again too, Empress.” Corvo replied with equal contentment.
“How many times have I told you to call me Jessamine?”
“I will try to remember next time.”
“I’m glad you’re back.” This last remark was said in a whisper, intended for Corvo’s ears only. After that remark, Corvo smiled, broke off from the Empress’s hug, and turned to Spymaster Burrows.
“It’s good to see you too, Spymaster.” Corvo said.
“Likewise. Out of pure curiosity though, how is it that you are back here two days early?” the Spymaster questioned.
“The talks with the other kingdoms went faster than anticipated so when I had the opportunity to return two days earlier, I took it.”
“Ah, I see. Well, small matter. It’s all over anyways.” said Burrows with a gesture from his hand.
“What do you me-” Corvo’s sentence was suddenly cut off as three assassins suddenly appeared from the shadows and ran towards the Empress and her daughter.
“Get back!” Corvo yelled to Jessamine as he pushed her behind him and shot the first assassin. As the first assassin fell, Corvo barely had time to pull out his sword and parry the sword of the second assassin. But soon, Corvo gained the upper hand on the assassin and stabbed his sword through his heart. But out of nowhere, Corvo felt a dart go into his neck and suddenly, he couldn’t move. He couldn’t move his arms, his legs, all he could do was watch as the Empress made a futile attempt to fight off Burrows while he stabbed her in the chest and just as Corvo lost consciousness, he caught a glimpse of Emily being kidnapped by the third assassin.
Once Corvo finally regained consciousness, the sun had already travelled a sizable distance across the sky. Corvo staggered over to Jessamine to find her lying in a pool of blood.
“Jessamine, are you alright?” Corvo asked worriedly as he took her in his arms.
“Corvo, I-” the Empress’s sentence was abruptly ended when she started to cough up blood.
“Jessamine!”
“Corvo, I don’t have much *cough* time left, so listen closely.”
“I’m listening, Jessamine.”
“I now give you your two final duties. First, find and save Emily, and second, enact revenge on those who did this *cough*.”
“I will Jessamine. I promise.” Corvo promised solemnly.
“Good. Knowing that, I can rest in peace.” the Empress said weakly.
“Wait Jessamine, hang on! We’ll get you medicine soon! Just hang on!”
“Goodbye, Corvo.” the Empress said as her eyes closed for the last time.
“JESSAMINE!” Corvo screamed in anger and sadness.
At that exact moment, Burrows came rushing in, accompanied by police officers.
“Yes, see? He’s the one who killed her!” Burrows exclaimed fearfully.
“Alright then. Corvo Attano, you are under arrest for the murder of Empress Jessamine Kaldwin.”
“BURROWS! YOU’LL PAY FOR THIS!” Corvo yelled as the officers handcuffed him.
“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Burrows said innocently.
And as Corvo was being dragged away, he saw a letter tucked under the Empress’s body that said: Revenge Solves Everything.

End of Part I


The author's comments:

A retelling of the popular game Dishonored.