Misty | Teen Ink

Misty

By abpeelz03 BRONZE, Greenwood, Indiana
abpeelz03 BRONZE, Greenwood, Indiana

It was dark and cold in that room. A distant memory of last week’s brutal ending of homeschool. Just a reminder that I would be here for the rest of my life. No escaping of this terrible place I used to call home. I was only 11 then, though. I am 18 now. I can almost remember the day I left home, not even thinking it was kidnapping.  I simply thought it was an aunt helping a niece, or something like that.
I was in the middle of tired thoughts as I heard a ping on the steel wall. I dragged my chair and rusty chains over to where the sound came from. It was a bullet from a gun. I peered across the room, only to see nothing.
Ms. Morrosome came running in with an urgent look on her face. She grabbed my chains and tried to drag me along the room.
¨What is going on,¨ I demanded, flinging my chain to the floor angrily.
She looked as if she were about to reply, but someone came into the room.
¨Hally Morrosome, you are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent,¨ The officer said, motioning to the handcuffs.
As he turned, I saw that he had a vest on that said FBI on the back of it. While I noticed these details, Ms. Morrosome started to run, but the man was faster. More and more of the vests started to appear in the usually empty room.  They gathered around her and a woman hopped in through the shattered window. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t noticed the glass on the floor beside it.
The woman had flowing auburn hair that matched mine. She smiled kindly and motioned for me to come near. Somehow this woman looked really familiar. I could almost recite her name. Almost. Her green eyes, yes again just like mine, flickered to the chains I was bound to. She walked over to me with her lips pursed.  She walked swiftly to Ms. Morrosome with a paper in hand.
My eyes glanced over to Ms. Morrosome, who was crying out something about loyalty and payback, but her days were numbered already. She raised her hands above her ahead in surrender, tears rolling down her face.
I was watching everyone as they blew past. The woman came towards me again with a sweet look on her face.
¨Do you remember me,¨ she asked while peering at my face. She looked as if she was staring deep in my eyes with some ancient longing.
¨Um. Maybe. I don’t honestly know,¨ I stuttered. All I could think of was a distant memory of a meadow. A swing going back and forth and her face pushing my back. Then I was falling… Into Ms. Morrosome’s arms. Memories flooded my memory. Tears were falling, people were laughing, and I had a family. ¨Mom,¨ I questioned, with a  thoughtful look on my face.

It was two days later. It turned out that the lady was my mom.  She looked a lot like me, but my dad was almost identical to me. I had two three year old brothers who were twins.  I thought it was crazy how things were happening so quickly for me. First, the FBI, then the mom thing, and lastly, (so far,) was the brothers part. I might sound totally insane, but I think my brothers are already driving me to the brink of Crazyville.  I love them and all, but they run around wayyy too much!
Anyway, that night, it was the Welcome Home party for me. I have to admit that  I am not a party gal. Every party I have ever heard about sounded absolutely awful. There would be dancing, fancy food, and talking to strangers. It sounded like my worst nightmare. I cringed at the thought of other people. I was going to be dead by the end of the night, or maybe I am just paranoid.
I was dancing, or maybe I was just bobbing my head… I had a drink in hand, and I was avoiding all people like the plague. My body language screamed STAY AWAY! Not my fault I was pushed into this party and an uncomfortable cocktail dress.
The dress was pink and short by my circumstances. It was strapless and new. This dress seemed too lovely to be put on a girl like me. I swished around in the cocktail dress, awkwardly.  I was wishing for something to take this horrible, pretty dress away.
A guy with a blue shirt on that said, ¨Copyright Jace,¨ on it. He had on khaki pants, and he looked like the epitome of a cool guy.  His hair was perfectly messed up, and it was a light brown. He was holding a red solo cup filled with something clear and bubbly, probably Sprite. He smiled a half smile at me, at least that’s who it looked like he was smiling at.
Anyway, I made myself walk over to the copyright guy and say something. So I pulled my clumsy, awkward self over to Jace. As I was walking over to him, I got pulled aside by my mother.
¨Word of advice, never get involved with that boy. His father always complains about him for various things,¨ she droned. She squeezed my shoulder and walked to greet some newcomers.
I decided I was still going to talk to the guy. I had waited 8 years for the rebel phase, and I wasn’t going to turn down the chance to be a predictable teenager. So I rushed over there, more like penguin speed walking in the dress I was wearing.
¨Hey, I saw you over here all alone. So yeah, that’s why I’m here,¨ I stumbled. The words seemed like they were foreign and forbidden.
¨Sure, sure. You look so different Misty. I remember when we used to play together when we were three,¨ he spoke with such casualness that I could almost remember making mud pies with him, but not quite.  He saw my nervous grin and introduced himself, ¨Ah. You must not remember me, I’m Jace.¨
¨Ÿour shirt is so clever. If my memory suffices you weren’t always such a sharp cookie.¨ I joked.
¨I always was clever. You just never got to see it. Everybody’s an idiot when they’re three.¨
¨Not me, I was the smartest munchkin around. I wasn’t just adorable, I was a genius,¨ I laughed. The conversation went on and on until I had to briskly walk away to avoid my mom.
I am dating Jace Farisweel. I cannot understand why my mom hates him, my father likes him, and why the twins simply don’t care. It is in love, crazy understanding of him, or stalker mode. Okay, maybe not the last one… Besides, what does it matter? I have way too much to deal with right now, so maybe I should just drop the family. They’re only holding me back from a summer fling. Next thing you know my mom will be the one chaining me to a rusty, old chair.
  There was a knock at my door. I opened it and saw that my mom and dad were in the room. Great, this might just mean family discussion.
¨I am dating Jace whether you like it or not.¨ I blurted out unthinkingly. I crossed my arms and braced myself for a lecture.
My father opened his mouth first,¨ Sweetie, we, well I understand that you are grown up, and I can’t help but be a little upset that you are already so close to Jace. It kills me to see you so unhappy, though. So I am one-hundred percent okay with Jace.¨”He opened his arms up for a hug.
On the other hand, my mom was on the other side of the room looking as sullen as ever, ¨ You may think you are grown up, but you are still my ten year old little girl. I never was preparing for you to come back after the first year. Honestly, I thought you were dead. And here we are in Indianapolis, in our home, together. It breaks my heart that you want to be with a guy and leave.¨
I just sat on my bed, plotting my next move. I decided on blunt honesty,¨ I wasn’t planning on going off with a guy. Not then, not now. I could leave, but I will not. I’ve been waiting for a family and freedom. I want the package deal.¨
¨Which is why we are wrapping up this deal with a bow no matter how much I dislike this idea. Just remember, this is just a promise,¨ my mother said gesturing to a shadow.
  Jace came out of the shadow carrying a box, ¨ Will you marry me?¨
My eyes widened in confused shock, ¨Okay?¨
¨Okay,¨ replied Jace.
I sat on the ledge by the staircase in my white, flowing dress. I was hunched over reliving the past year. It started with justice and ended with vows. I sat up as I heard my cue to walk down the aisle.  I stood in the three inch heels that were woven to my feet. I sauntered down the aisle trying not to let the nerves set in with my dad holding onto my arm to keep me sturdy.
The vows were asked and Jace had said, ¨ I do.¨
It was my turn to promise,¨ I do.¨
And with that, we kissed.

I was sitting in writing class one day, and my teacher told us for a final assesment we had to write a short fictional peice. I immediately thought of an action story with many twists. This is the final draft of it. I hope you loved it as much as I did.