Darkness | Teen Ink

Darkness

By ShadowKing9336 BRONZE, Asheville, North Carolina
ShadowKing9336 BRONZE, Asheville, North Carolina

Read the book and find out the plot.

Chapter 1: Monsters and Magic Rings

I ran through the pouring rain, only one thought in mind, get to my base. Ever since I found a ring in my grandparents’ house there have been shadows every where I go. Let me explain from the beginning. I was staying the night at my grandparents’ house because my dad had to leave on a one week business trip. I get there and start having nightmares.
          A week later my dad calls and says he won’t be coming back for three months (b.t.w. he works for an army facility).
          So after another week of nightmares I go to a doctor. He goes into this whole magic talk and my grand dad just sits there like it’s a normal conversation. Anyways later that night i'm attacked by a no faced, long armed, shadow who kept saying ‘he said you must die’ so I run through the forest and then back. Then I run into my grandparents’ closet and find a secret door that leads to a cave with a stand in the middle.
          By now the monster has lost track of me and I’m alone so by the instinct of a 12 year old I walk over and look on the stand. On the stand was a ring of fire (A finger ring on fire). I stood there, looking at it for a few minutes, so I decided to pick up-against all sense I had. It glowed a dark red. As I slipped it on to my finger, things started to get dark. And I fainted.

Chapter 2: The Power of the Ring

I woke up in the morning with the ring on my finger.
“Oh no. Oh no, no, no.” I said to myself as I struggled to get the ring off. “This can not be happening.”
The ring wouldn’t come off. I kept on trying everything but nothing worked. I stopped trying after I broke a hammer trying to get off the ring. I quickly checked the time on the guest room clock. It was 7:03. I had 12 minutes before the school bus came.
“Nathan,” I heard my grand mother holler from downstairs. “come eat breakfast before you’re late for school!”
“Coming!” I yelled back as I threw on a Hollister shirt and a pair of blue jeans. I sprinted downstairs, putting on my socks as I ran. I got down to the dinning room and ate a hot-pocket at almost in-human speed.
“Quickly!” my grandmother said as I threw on my grey op shoes. I ran out to my bus stop right as the bus turned onto my street.
“You’re a little late, don’t ya think?” said my neighbor/friend hank.
“Yeah.” I replied, walking on to the school bus.
“What’s with the cool ring?” asked hank as he took a seat next to me.
“Found it in the guest room.” I lied.
“So how long will you be stay in this part of town?”
“Three months.”
“Extended business trip I presume.”
“Yep.”
“You know what the next stop is?”
“Oh crap.” I said as my childhood friend walked on to the bus. It’s not that I didn’t like her anymore, in fact, that’s why I didn’t want to see her. Brooke Wellington was one of my first friends when I moved here to California. I had moved when I was 3. And when we were in preschool once, I had asked to marry her.
I searched through my backpack for a hoodie. I found one and threw it on.
“Nathan,” I heard Brooke say. “Are you seriously trying to hide from me using a Hollister hoodie?”
“Dang it!” I said, cursing at myself. She giggled a little before taking the seat across from me and hank.
“So, Nathan, How’s life?” She asked.
“Good.” I said with my hood still on, even though she knew who I was.
“What’s with the ring?” she asked, eyeing it like she thought she had seen it before.
“He found it in his grandparents’ guest room.” Hank said, speaking for the first time since Brooke had gotten on the bus.
“Yeah what he said.” I replied, dumbly. All of a sudden, the bus shook. Me, Hank and Brooke looked outside. A bunch of the other kids on the bus screamed. Scraping the side of the bus was a no faced long armed, shadow. The same one from my grandparents’ house. I looked at it and it stopped it assault. Through deep, dark eyes I could see hate and want in the monsters eyes.
  The monster’s hand retracted long claws. It shredded the side of the bus.
“Everyone evacuate the bus!” yelled a horrified bus driver.
“What is that thing?” asked Brooke.
“I don’t know.” Said hank, watching the beast start its way through the hole it had shredded.
“Satrion.” I said out of nowhere.
“What?” asked Brooke and hank in unison.
“Where did that come from?” I asked to know one in particular.
“Um, Nathan, my dear, dear friend. Where, the heck, did you find that ring?” asked Hank.
“A cave.” I said, fearing that I wouldn’t have time to explain. “That monster tried to kill me so I u-turned it in the woods and found a hiding place where I found the ring glowing to my touch.”
Just then, the monster grabbed me by the leg.
“Nathan!” yelled hank, trying to pry me from its bony grip. The monster pulled me out of hank’s grasp and out of the hole in the bus. It threw me to the ground.
“Nathan run!” yelled Brooke, throwing her book bag at the monster. It barley affected the monster but it was enough to make the monster turn in disapproval, giving me time to get to my feet and run. I was almost to the woods when I heard a scream from Brooke. The monster had gone after her, Knocking hank unconscious in the process.
“No!” I yelled. The ring started to glow purple as I yelled out words at random.
“Satroise, fudijiof, shigefiol.” I yelled, as a purple bolt of magic shot out of the ring. The monster flew back dropping Brooke on its way to death. It screeched as it crashed through the other side of the bus. For a few moments, everyone was silent. Then everyone started screaming and shouting “Magic! Monsters!”
“What.” Brooke said. “The. Heck.”
“I have no idea.” I replied. How had I known what to say? How did the words just spill out of my mouth like that? And worst of all… Why was the monster coming after me?

We walked towards Hank and picked him up as I thought of the words and the bolt. Why me?

Chapter 3: Reunion

“So how’s you’re life been?” Brooke asked me. Looking at the sunset from the roof of her house. We had dragged Hank down to her house and Brookes dad let us lay him on the couch until he recovered. “Aside from being magic and being the assassination target of freaky faceless monsters?”
“Fine.” I replied coldly. I didn’t mean to be harsh but everything that had happened was just not normal. A magic ring. A faceless monster trying to kill me. And the fact that I can use the magic ring without even thinking about it.
“Well!” She said, obviously offended. “What did I ever do to you?”
“Nothing.” I said looking back at her. “Sorry I’m still trying to comprehend everything.”
“Oh.” She said, pinching me. 
“Ow!” I yelled. “What was that for?!”
“To make sure you hank and I aren’t having a bad dream at the same time.”
“Oh.” I replied. “Why do you think the monster attacked me?”
“I... uh… don’t know.” She said, obviously lying.
“What aren’t you telling me?” I asked.
“Nothing.”
“Brooke…” 
“Fine. There’s a prophecy.”
“Of course there is. There’s always a prophecy.” I said sarcastically.
“Whatever.” She said, sighing. “I knew about the attack before it even happened. It’s in the prophecy. But the prophecy wasn’t clear about when it was supposed to happen. So in that case I was supposed to tell you everything. I just… didn’t.”
“Why?”
“Because it said that if you knew there would be sacrifices.”
“Sacrifices?”
“Yeah.” She said with teary eyes. “As in me.”
“what?” I asked. Nothing she said was making sense.
“I was… your magic guardian. If you knew about the magic ring and the prophecy before you turned 13 you would die.”
“Well I turn 13 next week, so start thinking up a good speech.”
“I will. If I'm still alive.”
“You’ll be alive.”
“How do you know?”
“Because I’ll protect you.”
She looked at me with her deep, brown eyes. Then out of nowhere, she rolled on top of me and kissed me. I kissed back while embracing her. Running my hands along her back.
She stopped and looked at me, then got up and walked back to her bedroom window. I stayed there where I was for a few minutes, then got up and went back inside.