Pig Boy | Teen Ink

Pig Boy

May 21, 2015
By Anonymous

“Pig Boy! Pig Boy!”, “Oink!”, “Scary Garry!”, those words are carved into my memory, carved with a big meat cleaver. My flashbacks only make me more and more angry, each one presents me with a new idea for revenge. As I’m sitting in my lounge chair that barely  has any stuffing left in it, I think back to the times of my childhood. When most people hear childhood, they think of simplicity and joy, only I think of living h---. Ever since I was old enough to talk, I knew I was different than the other kids surrounding me, not only did I notice but they did too. People pointed and stared, with looks of fear and confusion wiped across their faces. Each and every look added another drop to the jar that holds my sanity. Back then, the jar was barely filled but now that jar is so full it busted into a million shards of glass, each shard belongs to someone who has judged me, and trust me, they are going to feel that shard. Suddenly, a ripping noise caught my attention, I looked down and my fingers were ripping the cloth of the chair I was in. I stood up and walked to the bathroom mirror and turned to the side. I examined my tail, short and curled, like a pig’s. Yes, I have a tail. I have a disorder with my spine that has been there since I was born, it’s called a vestigial tail, it’s when the end of your spine is on the outside of your body, instead of the inside.
My whole presence on this earth has been occupied by my tail, I would cry and cry to get rid of it but there is no safe way to do so.  That wasn’t a risk I was willing to take, I would rather have a tail than have to be pushed around in a wheel chair. I continue to observe myself in the mirror, I see deep crevices between my eyebrows and around my mouth, and my skin around my eyes looks cracked, almost like I was an antique doll who was dropped on the ground. I walk around my one story house, wallpaper that covers every inch of my home is stained and ripping, revealing mold infested walls, water stains and more. Before I lived  here, another man did, I think his name was Allen, he passed away so he didn’t need it anymore. I live here alone, I have no wife, all women seem to avoid me as soon as they see the growth sticking from my back. Just thinking about how judgemental people are  makes it feel like there is literal steam blowing from my ears.  I have years and years of pain stored up in me and I am ready to let it out, and share it with all the people who casted it upon me. There is no other way to diffuse this anger, to release the fire that has been growing larger and larger in my stomach everyday for my whole life. This fire is huge, I can feel it scorching the insides of my body, heating my heart and pushing it to pump faster and faster to try to burst out of my chest and get away from this pain. This fire is massive, maybe that’s the steam I feel escaping from my ears., when I get closer to the mirror I can almost stare deep enough into my own eyes to see the flames sparking all throughout my body. This Friday, I will be ready, that's when I get my revenge, sweet lovely revenge, this revenge will be the water that finally defeats the fire, the water that will rush relief and happiness through my veins, and cool my insides that have been burning for 47 years.  I feel a smile stretch across my face as I think about it, which for some reson makes the fire crackle even more.
I sit at my desktop that was the new rave in 1984, but now people have these little laptops, my dinner plate is bigger than those things, and my dinner plate is pretty big. I open a microsoft app on my computer and start to design invitations. At the top in big bold letters they say, “ High School Reunion”, under that is says, “Friday, July 12th”. I print out 100 copies, that should be enough, I have a barn rented out for this event, it’s in the middle of nowhere, I wrote the address of the barn on the invitation and anonymously sent them to my highschool classmates. They can’t know it’s me throwing the party, no one would show up, because everyone was weirded out by me and hated me in school.
It’s Wednesday and I start preparing for the party, I get in the car and drive towards the barn to see it in person, my GPS told me to take a left, onto this dirt road that has a cape of trees, I kept driving for about half a mile, I must be in the middle of the woods! Suddenly I saw a huge, brown wooden barn, surprisingly it was beautiful, a bunch of shiny windows, I never would have guessed for it to be this nice. I park the car and get out, I walk up to the door and it’s locked, but when I rented it they sent me a key, I pulled it out of my back pocket and turned it in the lock, it clicked open. I walked into the barn, revealing perfect hardwood floors, chairs, and a boombox in the back corner! This is perfect, this is definitely big enough. Next, I have to go to the gas station, I pull up and get a little nervous before I get out, I haven’t been in public during the day for a long time. I sit in my truck for a few minutes and then get the nerve to go into the store. I walk around and I pick up my usual, lighter and cigarettes. I was walking around the store to get a bottle of coke and a saw a little boy at the refrigerator where the soda was, he looked over at me, dropped his soda and ran. It felt like a knife just jabbed me, I can’t even go in public without scaring someone. I got my soda and I also got a gallon of gasoline, I walked up to the cash register and the blonde lady behind it was kind, or at least she was trying to be, but I could see her eyes quickly looking at my tail and back up to my face. I gave her the money and quickly left, I bring all my stuff to my black pickup truck and drive back home.
It’s Friday, the big day, it’s 2:14 pm and everyone should be arriving at the barn around 5:00, excitement drips through my body, making my hairs rise and raise goosebumps on my skin. I have had a smirk on my face all day long, and I can’t wipe it away.  I go to my room and find a pair of my blue jeans and my black t shirt that fit pretty tightly. My grey hair was almost down to my eyebrows, because I haven’t taken care of it in so long. I pushed it back with water and put a white ball cap over my head. I then get into my car and drive to the barn to start prepping for the party. I had food catered for this, I had pulled pork sandwiches, chips, salad, green beans, corn and more. I also have drinks out for the guests too. I set them all out on tables in the barn, with plates, forks, knives and cups. I walk over towards the boom box and I fiddled with it for a while, I have never used one before, it wouldn't play any music, suddenly a black cloud of frustration formed over my head and rained anger down all over me, causing me to kick the boom box with all my strength, and then I heard the music start to play. The cloud quickly disappears, leaving me with only the sun and the rain dripping off my skin. I walk over to the outside of the barn and hang balloons and streamers, and a banner that says Wenger High School Reunion in bold black letters. I take a step back and look at what I have created, it’s perfect.  I get back in my car and go back home, it’s 4:45, I can’t be there when other people show up, or else they will know it was me who planned it. 6:00 is when I will show up, when I will get my vengeance, show all these people who tortured me for years, causing me so much misery, just what all that pain felt like.
It’s 6:00 and my car is parked in front of the barn, I can see people in the windows, talking and eating and dancing and I know that it’s my time to shine.  I grab my jug of gasoline, and my lighter, I pull my pig mask out of the trunk and pull it over my head, they will instantly recognize me, pig boy. I walk to the outside of the barn and pour the gasoline all around it, every drop that falls out of that container represents the water flowing through my body burning out my fire, bringing me relief, I then have my lighter in hand, and know I have the power to use it whenever I want. I hold it up in front of my face and look at the flame, I see it dancing, and it reminds me of the flames that have been inside of me for years. Tonight, they will feel those flames too. I suddenly hear a crack of a twig, I turn and look around, but I don’t see anything. I then hear whispering, but I can’t make out what the voice is saying. I walk around, looking for the source of the sound, but I can’t find it, suddenly, it stops. I walk back towards the barn and hold the lighter in my hand, and squeeze it a little bit tighter. This is what I have been waiting for for years, it is my time. My time to have not a broken jar of sanity, but a brand new jar of happiness, and not fire running through my body, but joy and peace. This is it, I turn on the lighter, and hold it up, I count down to myself, ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, my heart is pumping faster than it ever has before, trying to push the lighter to the barn splattered with gasoline itself, I’m so ready, four, three, a loud noise fills my ears, sirens and I see blue and red flashing on the side of the barn, I quickly turn around and see that I am surrounded by men, wearing black uniforms, holding guns to every side of my body. I scream “ THIS IS MY NIGHT!”, I feel these flames in my body burning more than ever before, turning my insides black and crisp. “ YOU ARE NOT TAKING THIS AWAY FROM ME” I light the lighter again, and then I feel a sharp pain in my side and it feels like my joints grow weak and crubmle to ash, I fall to the ground and everyting goes black.


The author's comments:

Man with Vestigial Tail gets revenge on all people who have made fun of him in the past.