A Ride to Remember | Teen Ink

A Ride to Remember

By Ian Hartl BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois
Ian Hartl BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois

It was a calm and cool late summer’s day in the peaceful state of Michigan, perfect for a ride. The sun was just beginning to rise over the lake looking like a golden coin slowly floating to the surface. Along with the sun came new life and fresh starts for all that it awoke. The dew on the grass started to glimmer, almost as if it had rained diamonds the night before. A few birds were rising and fluttered to multiple bird feeders hanging on the triumphant oak tree that was in the center of the yard. Peter was in love with it all, the birds, the grass, the lake, even the smell of everything. It was peaceful to him, that is when everyone was asleep and not fighting with each other. “For christ sake,” Peter thought, “it’s supposed to be a vacation home for the family, not a center for arguing and rehashing old family feuds.”
The mornings belonged to Peter, just him and his thoughts. If only they were longer, Peter wished. However, the mornings weren’t Peters only escape. A rusted blue and white Rockhopper bicycle from the 90’s was one of his good friends. Maybe it was the cracked brown leather seat that looked like it had been sitting in a desert for 10 years, or maybe the rusty gears and chains that screeched like a seagull with every pedal. Maybe it was the broken hydraulic brakes that oozed brown sticky bile every time you squeezed the handles. Needless to say, it was a piece of junk, but to Peter it was his prized jewel.
Next to the house was a tin trailer that looked like it could barely hold two people let alone five, and in that trailer was Peter’s best friend Ash. “Hey Ash,” Peter tapped on the door lightly, “You up yet?”
“Nooo,” groaned a soft voice from inside.
“C’mon,” said Peter. “Let’s go for a ride. I’m bored.”
“And I’m tired. Now leave me alone.” yelled Ash.
“Pleeeeaaasse. I’ll get my aunt to make you some of that coffee cake you like.” said Peter trying to persuade Ash.
And in less than two seconds, Ash was out of that trailer like a guy running trying to win a race. “Alright, lets get going. The faster this is over the faster I get my coffee cake.”
Ash picked up his rusty lowrider and Peter picked up his Rockhopper. They were just getting ready to go when out of the house yelled Peter’s mother “Peter where are you going this time? You need to spend more time with your family than with your bike. It won’t bring your dad back.”
“Shut up mom.” yelled Peter, “Lets get out of here Ash.”
“Whatever you say.”
The two turned right onto the one way road and slowly pedalled out of site. They moved in synchrony like they had been practicing. It was just them, their bikes, and the road. Only the sound of Peter’s Rockhopper broke the silence, but besides that, it was serenity for the both of them. Some people enjoyed running, Peter and Ash enjoyed riding. There was never really a true destination on eithers mind. The goal was to go as far as they wanted, see all the scenery of the trees and farms, and then sadly turn back.
The sun shined on their light sweat covered skin. Peter watched Ash as his long sandy blonde hair flowed in the wind revealing a tan freckled face with a long scar on his right cheek. To Peter it was one of the coolest things about Ash because he thought it made him look tough. Peter tried to emulate Ash and slightly looked up to him. When Peter rode, thoughts and nerves flooded his brain. On the contrary, Ash looked like there wasn’t a thing on his mind that could phase him when he rode. Oh how Peter envied that, not thinking and just relaxing. It sounded fun.
They had been riding for about a half an hour when Ash butted in “So what was that all about. I mean with what your mom said. I know about your dad and everything but that was still a low blow.”
Peter pondered for a second then took a big sigh and said “Eh. It happens. She doesn’t like the fact that I don’t get along with my family and she thinks that because my dad taught me how to ride a bike is the reason why I ride one.”
“Well then why do you ride your bike?” asked Ash.
“I don’t know? It’s relaxing to me. It gives me time to think and be away from constant bickering. And I’m sorry if that gets people upset but I just don’t find any joy in arguing. If that makes me weird, then I guess I’m weird.”
“I feel you buddy.” said Ash comfortingly.
They continued again and passed a nice little abandoned barn with red paint that had long ago turned to a rust brown from years of wear and tear. However, the peacefulness was short lived as from behind them came a roar of an engine. In half a second a giant black truck was about to run them over on the one lane gravel road. “Look out!” yelled Peter.
Trying to avoid the barbed wire fence on the right, they jerked to the left as it was the only way of avoiding being run over. However, to the left was a four foot deep ditch filled with rocks and both Peter and Ash fell hard.
“What the hell was that about? Jerk.” yelled Ash as the truck drove off. “Man that really hurt, and on top of that my bikes busted.”
A sense of fear, panic, and pain came over Peter as he groaned “You think you're in bad shape, look at me. Dude he really messed up my leg. Am I gonna be okay? Oh man it hurts so bad. What do I do?” motioning to a good size gash in his left calf that was starting to drip blood.
The calm factor in Ash disappeared when he saw the cut and said “Okay, we need to get you help fast. Here take my shirt and tie it around your leg as tight as you can. It'll hurt but it’s gonna help.I also need you to calmed down, you’re going to be okay. Don’t go full mental on me.”
Peter tied the tourniquet then asked “Now what?” and the panic started to ease.
Ash took a moment to think then said “Well we have to get back home and we’re a few miles away. My chain is broken and your front wheel is off.”
Peter hadn’t even thought about his bike up until Ash had mentioned it. Then he looked at it and his heart sank. Even though it was fixable, Peter was still crushed. It just wasn’t right to see such a timeless and prized possession in pieces. The thought of his leg was completely gone and all focus was on the bike. “Why don’t you go check that abandoned barn that we past a couple of minutes ago. Maybe there are a couple of tools or something like that. You know, something you could use to work some of your magic. Like how you and your uncle fixed up that old chevy with practically only a hammer and a screw driver.” said Peter.
“You bet we did.” responded Ash, “ Now I’m gonna go over to that barn. You just sit tight and I’ll be back in fifteen minutes or so.”
It was the longest fifteen minutes Peter had ever had to wait through. The hot sun was making him sweat, his leg was throbbing, and he had no idea how he was going to get home. Thoughts once again entered Peter’s mind as he thought about his past. The bike had been a present from his father when he was eight. A few months later he was gone. However, those few months contained some of his best memories with his father, including how to ride a bike. His father also taught him to look after it saying “If you take care of this bike, it’ll sure take care of you.”
Peter was a little ashamed as he had failed to follow this life lesson. Ash eventually came back with a wrench, a small hook, and couple bolts and screws.
“Man what took you so long?” asked Peter with a slightly annoyed tone.
“Sorry, didn’t realize I had been gone so long.” responded Ash, “I got just what I need though.”
Ash worked for about ten minutes and then Peter got angry. “Can’t you work a little bit faster. I wanna go home and I can’t walk that far.” complained Peter.
“Well at least I’m doing something. Remember, I didn’t even want to go in the first place. You were the one that woke me up in the middle of the morning to go on one of your stupid bike rides.” yelled Ash
“Man shut up. This isn’t my fault. I didn’t plan for us to nearly die.” responded Peter.
The two of them sat in silence for a couple of minutes while Ash worked on the bikes. “Sorry I just lashed out on you. I’m just pissed off.” apologized Peter.
“It’s alright. I don’t blame you. I’m sure you must feel like crap and I’m not helping by making you wait. I also didn’t mean what I side about these bike rides. I enjoy them just as much as you do.” responded Ash, “Anyway, I’m about done so here let me help you up.”
Peter struggled to get up as Ash helped him out of the ditch. Ash then picked up the bikes and instructed Peter. “Now what you’re gonna do is slowly get going and then hang your left leg off to the side and have your right leg do all the work. Just shout when you need a break. Okay? Good.”
Peter looked at Ash with a questioning look but Ash just smiled back encouragingly. He hoisted his left leg over the seat but immediately felt searing pain. His face must have showed discomfort because Ash responded with “It’s okay. Just take it easy.”
Peter eventually got on and Ash followed. He began to pedal and once he was stable, he let his right leg do all the work just like Ash had said. Ash began to follow and they were off back home.
The journey home was grueling and much less relaxing than the ride away from home. For the next hour and a half the two rode for ten minutes at a time and then had to take a break, either for Peters leg or for bike repairs. It was approaching the afternoon when the two finally arrived home and relief rushed through them. As the house came into view, all the fear and anger left Peter’s body and was replaced by sheer joy. A smile began to form on Peter’s face as he asked Ash “Hey do you wanna come in side? I’ll get you some coffee cake, you deserve it.”
“No thanks man. Go be with your family right now and have your mom fix that cut. See ya later.” said Ash as he walked into his trailer.
“See ya later.” responded Peter as he walked into the house and ended his day knowing Ash was right. Peter should go be with his family and he was looking forward to it as well. He thought to himself for a moment thinking how lucky he was to have such a great friend and a family, despite it being rough around the edges.

I got the main idea of the story from my uncle. My uncles' name is Peter and he used to live in Philadelphia. He once told me a story about when he was younger and was riding his bike far away from his home when the chain broke and he had to get help from a nice old lady who had an extra bike in her garage. I got the idea of the main character not getting along with his family from my own life. Not to say that I don't get along with my family, but they do fight alot. I hope that after reading this people will be able to build better relationships with their families and realize that they will love you no matter what.