Escaping the Hospital | Teen Ink

Escaping the Hospital

Bob was about to go into surgery at the Stevenson Medical Center. He was receiving a heart transplant. Bob was a short man who was very overweight and bald. It was October 2021 in New York. Bob didn't have any family still alive so he was by himself. When he heard his name called by a doctor, he followed him into an elevator where they went a few floors up. Bob laid down on the table where he was told and asked the doctor how long the surgery would take and if he would feel any pain.
The doctor said, "The surgery will take about two hours and you won't feel any pain once I give you this shot." Then he pointed at two needles on the counter next to him. The doctor gave Bob two shots. The first one was to make him fall asleep, and the second was to make the surgery painless.
When Bob woke up, he couldn't remember anything that happened after the first shot. He was still laying down and had stitches in a square shape on his chest. Bob couldn't hear or see anyone so he assumed all of the doctors were on their lunch break or doing something else. Then he fell asleep again.
He woke up again, but this time it wasn't so peaceful. It was pitch black and Bob couldn't see three feet in front of him. The only light was flickering and was on the other side of the large room. The hospital seemed abandoned. When Bob stepped off the operating table, he yelled. He stepped on broken shards of glass and his foot had a long deep cut on the bottom. Bob couldn't tell where the glass came from but at that point he really didn't care. While still in tremendous pain, Bob pulled out the piece of glass digging in his foot. After he got the piece of glass out of his foot, he found his socks and shoes next to the operating table and put them on. There weren't any windows in the hospital, so Bob had no idea if it was light or dark outside.
He walked out of the operating room and chills ran down his spine. He walked down the hallway with operating rooms on either side of him. There were a few very dim lights in the hallway. Once he reached the end of the hall, he stepped into an elevator. The elevator panel had seven buttons. There were six, five, four, three, two, one, and basement. He pressed one. He felt the elevator going down, but it wasn't a very smooth ride. It shook and felt like it was barely holding on. It only traveled down one floor when the elevator stopped. The doors opened halfway and then the power on the elevator shut off. Bob squeezed his way through the doors to get off and just got through when he heard a loud snap! The elevator went crashing down the shaft. And then there was a loud thump!
  Once Bob felt somewhat comfortable again he started moving down the hallway. This floor was lit up better than the last one so Bob felt safer. Bob walked down the hall to the first door on the right. He opened the creaky door slowly and carefully. He could see it was a room where medicine was stored. There were green oval shaped pills on the ground next to an orange bottle laying on its side. Bob picked up the bottle and read the side of the container. All it said was XXX. Bob took the bottle with him just in case he needed it. He then walked out of the room and closed the creaky door behind him. He moved on to the next room on his left. This room had a different door than all the others in the hallway. It was made of thick metal with large metal bolts surrounding it. Bob decided to try to open the door and just as he got it about a foot open a hand push its way through from the inside, flailed around, and tried to grab Bob. Bob slammed the door shut and the arm pulled itself inside before it was crushed. The arm had a greenish tint and looked like it had a disease. Bob started to hear grunting noises from the inside so he ran to the other side of the hallway in fear, and rushed down the stairwell at the end of the hallway. He made it all the way down to the first floor, which was the lobby.
Then he looked out of the large glass windows around the entrance of the hospital and saw the bright orange sun. No one was in the lobby but there were papers and trash everywhere. Inside the lobby it smelled like a mix between a dumpster and a porta-potty.
Bang! "What was that," Bob whispered to himself. It sounded just like the big iron door upstairs being slammed open. Bob started to hear grunting and yelling and the clamoring of footsteps coming down the stairs. Bob picked up a metal beam on the floor and smashed through one of the glass windows. The chill from that cold frigid air blew into his face and he shivered. He ran as fast as he could with his little stubby legs carrying him along. Bob had been to jail many times for different reasons but one reason being that he stole cars. He was very good at this because no one could catch him because he was so short and you couldn't see him in a car driving down the road. So he had no problem hot wiring one of the cars in the hospital parking lot. As Bob frantically touched the two wires together under the steering wheel, a crowd of zombies came dashing out of the stairwell, just as the car started. The strange creatures look aged and some had skin rotting away. He drove a few miles thinking about where he should go. He decided to go to his house and see what he could find.
He drove down the highway for half an hour then got off the exit to Georgeton Ave. No one was anywhere to be seen, and everything was abandoned. After a few more turns he passed his local gym and saw writing of spray paint on the left side of the building. It was a tan colored building that was constructed in 2004. Bob had only been inside a few times and it wasn't too unusual. He parked in the parking lot and read the letters on the wall. They said, "if you are a survivor go to the Charleston International Airport at 10am and wait."
Bob had never been out-of-state never on a plane either. When he got there, it was a small airport with one airstrip, a few hangers, and the main building where you go for normal passenger flights. It was getting dark so Bob decided to sleep in his car until about 9 o'clock in the morning when he woke up. For an hour and a half Bob anxiously waited for something to happen. Finally at about 10:45am Bob could hear the faint sound of a propeller. He got out of his car and looked around. He could see a small plane so he stood on top of his car and waved for help. The plane saw him and landed on the runway so Bob drove up to it. The man in the plane didn't say anything except get in. Bob gathered a blanket, his iPod, and some headphones from his car and he definitely did not take his time. The plane had a small cabin behind the pilot so Bob got in. Right as he stepped into the plane, a door to the main building of the airport opened, and hundreds of the quick zombies came rushing out. Bob ran into the aircraft and shut the door as quickly as he could.
"Take off! Fast!" Bob shrieked. As they were about to lift off, a zombie grabbed onto the back of the plane. And they lifted off. Bob saw the zombie fall off and hit the ground.
"Where are we going?"
"To an island in Hawaii where other refugees are," the pilot said.
Finally Bob got to the island where there were other survivors. There were many huts and tents set up for people coming in every day. Bob then spent the last remaining years of his life on that island.
The End