the car ride | Teen Ink

the car ride

May 18, 2015
By MoiMoi BRONZE, ----, Illinois
MoiMoi BRONZE, ----, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As I look out of the car window, I focus on a tiny, gray lump of snow hit the windshield and stick to it, staying there until the car’s long and barely visible windshield wipers come up to whisk the almost frozen water away into the night. I lean back into the stingingly cold, leather seats and shut my eyes, letting the gentle hum of the engine and the swaying of the body the nearly two ton beast lull me back to sleep. I force myself to stay awake and adjust the warm, dry air from the vents and look back out the window. Above us are countless stars and planets, once guiding the way for the natives of this land. Everything down here is a dark, inky black with the only light coming from our minivan. Now and again, a road sign appears almost out of nowhere, telling about an upcoming rest stop or giving us directions to the nearest exit that we have already memorized from years of traveling the same path.
My Mom’s voice cuts through, asking me to watch for crossing deer on my right side. Not one of my sisters stays awake or bothers to help watching. I can’t say I blame them. Watching for deer in this weather isn’t something most people would be willing to do, as most would rather focus on driving or trying to get to point “B”. I raise my eyes to the little mirror and see that Devin is still up, the soft glow of whatever electronic device she brought with her this time, peeking out from under the pile of warm blankets. Rowyn, on the other hand, has fallen asleep with her headphones still in her ears.
I once again resume the job of looking for deer in the now blinding rays from the sun. The light peaks through the woods, allowing us to see past the thick bushes and dead trees, the perfect home for the sweet but highly irritating native plant eater.
By the time the car reaches Mount Greenwood, the only things I have seen are birds, raccoons and what appeared to be a cat on someone’s house. Deer don’t jump out in front everyone’s cars every day, but I know it does happen quite often, thankfully when I not around. For now, I step out of the car and make my way into the little house.