Crime Story | Teen Ink

Crime Story

By Noah Zinn BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Noah Zinn BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

Chapter Two
Brenton raced through the gateway of the docks and he looked back in the rearview mirror and he saw the other two cars that were parked at the docks race through the gate way. Brenton sped up to try and lose the two cars following him, he took a quick right hand turn onto a dirt road. He took another glance in the mirror and he saw the two cars from the docks make the turn he had just made.
Up ahead of Brenton was a Y- intersection one road lead into the city and the other road lead into the country. He thought that it would be easier to lose them by taking the backroads, Brenton veered off to the left road which lead into the country. The road was bumpy and was covered with small rocks and slightly muddy from the damp air. He checked his rearview mirror and saw that the two cars from the docks had caught up to him.
One of the cars was a black sedan and it pulled up alongside Brenton’s car, Brenton looked over at the driver of the sedan. He saw that the driver was a man that was in his early thirties and he was aiming a pistol at Brenton. The man shot two rounds at Brenton, the sound of the pistol was deafening. The bullets punched through Brenton’s driver’s window and completely shattered it. Brenton slammed his car into the black sedan causing the sedan to swerve into the ditch, the sedan hit the ditch at a forty five degree angle and caused it to flip on its side.
Brenton looked back at the car on its side and he smiled to himself, he then noticed that the other car was gaining on him and was close behind him. The man was also driving a black sedan and he smashed into Brenton’s bumper which caused Brenton to hit his head on the steering wheel. Brenton felt a wave of pain come over him from hitting his head, he pulled out Vinnie’s pistol from his coat pocket and then he started to slow down, so the sedan could come along side of him.
The sedan pulled up along the left side of the Brenton’s car, Brenton fired three times at the driver of the sedan and two of the bullets he fired punched into the driver’s shoulder. Blood splattered the windows of the sedan, and the impact of the bullets caused the driver to veer off of the road. Brenton watched him crash head on into an oak tree, the sedan met the tree with a loud crack and smashed the whole front of the sedan.
Brenton stopped his car and got out and walked over to the totaled sedan, he could see that the driver was still alive and he was in a lot of pain from the crash and from being shot twice. He opened the door to the sedan and roughly pulled the passenger out and set him on the ground. The man was grimacing in pain and was holding his shoulder, he had a young face with wavy brown hair.
Brenton crouched down next to him and said “what is your name?” The man stared at the ground and grumpily said “my name is Johnny Mackenzie” Brenton replied. “How old are you Johnny?” Johnny continued to stare at the ground and finally answered “I’m twenty two.” Brenton said “who do you work for Johnny.” Johnny snapped out of his daze of staring at the ground and looked up at Brenton with a fearful face.
Brenton asked him who he worked for again with a mellow tone, Johnny went into a panic and said “if I tell you I will end up dead in a ditch, I would much rather go to prison and get out in a few years.” Brenton scratched his chin and said “well Johnny if you cooperate I will put a good word in to the judge, he might even lower your sentence to a years’ worth of time.” Johnny said “you don’t understand I will die if I tell you the name of my employer.” Brenton looked at Johnny hard for a moment and said “I can give you protection from him.”
Johnny thought about this for a moment and said “ok the man I work for is very powerful and his name is Jack Lemone.” Brenton said “you mean baby Jack Lemone?” Johnny said “yes that’s him, now I told you what you wanted to know now get me to a doctor.” Brenton helped Johnny up and put his arm around his waist to help him walk. He walked Johnny over to the sedan and laid him down in the back seat. Brenton got into the driver’s seat and started the ignition.
An hour latter he arrived at the hospital, Brenton pulled up to the front of the hospital and walked to the rear of the sedan. He opened the door and lifted Johnny out of the seat, Johnny was unconscious and was very pale from loss of blood. Brenton carried him into the front doors of the hospital, the hospital was very clean and there was a waiting room next to the reception desk. He walked up to the reception desk, behind the big desk were two women sitting in office chairs filling out clip boards.
Brenton yelled “this man needs urgent medical attention.” The two women looked up at him startled and the one nearest to him said “what is the matter with him, he does not look well at all.” Brenton replied “he has been shot twice in the shoulder and has been in a nasty car accident. The woman picked up the phone next to her and she called for two doctors and a stretcher. A few minutes later two men in lab coats ran up to the desk carrying a stretcher.
Brenton said urgently “this man has been shot twice in the shoulder and needs immediate attention.” The doctors set the stretcher on the floor and took the man from Brenton and set Johnny in the stretcher. The doctors took one end of the stretcher and disappeared around a corner with Johnny. Brenton asked the ladies at the desk if he could use their phone, they replied “of course you can.”
He dialed the number to the police department and requested to speak to the police commissioner, he waited a few minutes and Commissioner Thompson answered in a raspy voice “hello who is this?” Brenton answered “this is detective Charles Brenton sir.” The Commissioner replied “well what do you want detective.” Brenton said “I want to inform you about a case I’ve been working on.”  The Commissioner was getting impatient and said “well spit it out son, I’m really busy at the moment.”
Brenton then told the Commissioner about the mystery and about the events that unfolded after he went to the eastside docks. After was Brenton was finished talking about the case the Commissioner replied “that’s one heck of a case you got there detective, I will send a squad of men to investigate the ship you were held captive on and they will search every inch of it.” Brenton replied “could you also send a squad of men to the abandoned apartment complex?”
The commissioner replied “I’ll get right on it detective and by the way good work with the case so far.” Brenton replied “thank you sir” and he hung up. Brenton walked out of the hospital and noticed that it was drizzling slightly. He opened the door to the sedan and was thinking about going to his office and taking a nap.

NoNamer0102 BRONZE, Providence Forge, Virginia

“Where there's hope, there's life. It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again.”
― Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition

That's very good i like it.