The Boy Who Lurks in the Shadows | Teen Ink

The Boy Who Lurks in the Shadows

The wind was howling, the trees shaking shedding any leaves left on those bare black branches. I trudged through the frosty cold, closing my eyes and receiving only a second of warmth, out of everything this was the worst and after I had just found her… We all have a beginning, but it’s our choices that define us. It always seems like the bad guy was born evil, though that is not always the real truth. I am Encitico, the boy who lurks in the shadows.
      When I was a child I lived with just my father, my mother had died from an illness, which had eliminated more than half of our city. There were few survivors, which were haunted by the illness, making them just as good as dead. I had been one of those children that had survived, I was always left alone; it was as if I never existed. My father he abandoned me running off when I was only 12, I was an orphan. The only friend I ever had was before the Killing. We were mere children, but it was as if the flu had sped up our age, we never talked or even looked at each other anymore. All I ever saw if they gave a mere glance my way was pity in their eyes I saw, Pity! I was the one in the shadows, as I grew older I became more isolated from the rest; I took pleasure in scaring children and giving murderous glares to everyone. There was one day in my early years as an adult where a boy I had remembered from my childhood, had given me an invitation to a party, that they I had thought Yes! My one mistake, I had showed up at the party, upon entering scornful glances were thrown upon me and it seemed as if everybody’s eyes were on me trying to figure out why I was here. I raced out, anger sparking a flame inside me, turning my already evil self into the bad guy you know now. And then I grew up I became a tough, stiff, scary looking man that terrorized the city. I had moved to the other part of town, lurking in the shadows haunting people when I met her, the most pretty person in the world, but she just had to go with Mr. Good Guy. We all know villains never get happy endings, and I am no exception.

THis short story is about how a villian views life.