Return Of The Squirrels | Teen Ink

Return Of The Squirrels

By EClaus76 BRONZE, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
EClaus76 BRONZE, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Tim knew that this day would come. Once he took that acorn from that squirrel everything was going to change, but it was all too sudden. Everyone at the park knew it was about to get real... the invasion was here.

It all started when Tim and his friends Alex, Connor and Christo were in the park.They were playing a game of touch football. The teams were Tim and Connor versus Alex and Christo. The teams were tilted towards Tim and Connor because they were stronger and faster. Alex threw a soaring pass to Christo but Connor, playing safety, leaped up and intercepted the ball. He yelled at Tim to block for him so he could score. Tim charged full speed at Alex and sent him flying. After Connor scored on the pick-six, they all sprinted to Alex who was whimpering in pain.

Christo was the first to speak:”Dude, I think he is hurt!”

The other boys replied,”No Duh!” They thought it looked serious enough to take him to the doctor.

The doctor explained that Alex had a broken arm and he would need at cast. Connor murmured,” At least Tim and I won the game,” obviously trying to brighten up Alex’s mood. It really didn’t work. They were all still depressed and Alex and Christo didn’t even win the game.

Once Alex got his cast, they went straight to the football coach, Coach Quintupleretski, or Coach Q. They had to tell him that Alex got hurt. This was going to have a huge impact on their team. All of the boys were on the Walra Gators. The Gators’ starting quarterback was Alex, so Tim would have to switch to quarterback from his normal wide receiver position. Tim was ready for the change because he had always had an astounding arm and was envious of Alex being QB and not him.. The receiving core was going to be good without Tim because they were already the best in the country. Christo played defensive end while Connor was a cornerback. Last season, Connor had twelve interceptions which led the state and was third in the country.

Coach Q gave them a long speech about how losing Alex was going to hurt their team. But after that, Coach Q calmed down and gave them the playbook so Tim could learn the plays with Connor and Christo as his running backs/wide receivers. They practiced for hours and hours, getting more tired as they went. But the more tired they got, the more they memorized the plays.  They returned the playbook to Coach Q, and then went to Alex’s house to eat pizza. Then the boys went home and sat on the couch with some Gatorade and some Cheetos.

The next day, all four of them stopped by Coach Q’s house to get the playbook again. Once they got it they went to the park. They practiced for an hour before Christo spotted a ginormous bag of nuts that was just overflowing with all of its contents. A scurry of squirrels were gathered around. They shooed the squirrels away and started to throw the nuts into the pond. They tried to see how many skips they could get on the water. The squirrels were furious when they saw the boys doing this. The squirrels were just steaming when Connor started chomping on their nuts.

Later,when Alex,Tim, Christo and Connor were leaving, they heard a little squeaky voice. “Hey big guy, those were OUR nuts.” The voice made them stop dead in their tracks.
“Yeah, I’m talking to you guys.” There it was again. The  four boys slowly turned around and realized that the voice came from a squirrel who looked to be the squirrels’ leader.

It must of been an odd feeling to be hearing a squirrel talk. It was like seeing one of those amazing talents someone has where they can manipulate their bodies in an odd way. They didn't move for a couple of minutes because of their state of shock.

The the squirrel tossed a nut at Tim’s head, “Hello? Is anybody in there?” That seemed to knock them out of the trance they were in.

Christo said, “We don’t care and what will you  do about it?”

The squirrel replied, “THIS!” The little squirrel pounded the boys the boys with a bunch of mini nuts that were in the trees.

The boys fled from the park and planned to get back at the squirrels. So they packed up on all the nuts they could find. When they finished they all had about four pounds of nuts hidden all around in places that nobody would expect. It felt a little uncomfortable for them.

When they came back to the park, they had a plan to converge on the squirrels. Tim and Connor would stand on the side while Alex and Christo started to run at the squirrels with sticks. The battle was fierce, it was something that all the boys would remember. There were nuts flying all over the place.

Once the battle was finished, the squirrels and the boys were sprawled on the ground, exhausted. All of the boys had scars from the squirrels’ little teeth and their vicious claws. It was going to be awhile before the guys recovered from the battle. It felt so odd to the boys that they just attacked a bunch of squirrels over something that petty. But to the squirrels, it was the highlight of their year. It would be an experience that had everybody sitting there with their mouths hanging open, they were very surprised at what had gone down.

Since no one team had clearly won, they decided to have a peace treaty that would keep both the squirrels and the boys safe. Little did the guys know, the squirrels didn’t actually sign the peace treaty. The war was still on.

on Mar. 26 2015 at 5:30 pm
Graham02 BRONZE, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.

This story was ridiculously funny. I loved it!