Where'd the inventions go? | Teen Ink

Where'd the inventions go?

March 9, 2015
By Rohan Inampudi BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Rohan Inampudi BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Thump, thump, thump. Joe’s heart pounded as he got closer and closer to finishing the hardest training obstacle course in SA-10’s (A secret agency) history. Joe just had to navigate through the flaming ring of fire, dodge a couple of tranquilizer darts and hit the buzzer to end the training. Joe took a deep breath and began to run toward the ring of fire. As he neared the flaming ring, he jumped up in the air, threw his body into a streamline like position and smoothly glided through the ring. Then, out of nowhere, darts started to fly past his eyes. Joe realized that the darts were shot every 6 seconds. The buzzer was just 50 meters away from him. Joe decided to make a run for it. He waited for the darts to shoot once, then he took off. Joe's speed was mind-blowing. He finished the 50 meters in just a couple of seconds! That’s why Joe was a perfect fit for a secret agent. He was smart, athletic, and made great decisions. Joe hit the buzzer and was finished with his obstacle course.
Joe  exited the room which contained the obstacle course. Outside the room. Mr. Whiteside, the head of SA-10, was waiting for him. Joe thought to himself, why is Mr. whiteside here? He never leaves his office unless something important occurs,
“Hello Joe” Mr. Whiteside said. “How are you doing?”
“I’m fine, what brings you here Mr. Whiteside?”
“ Well, you see, the agency has just been notified the Jursuf Masuf, a highly trained and skilled thief, has escaped from jail. Word is that he still has not learned his lesson about stealing things because apparently, he has stolen some of Brixton Burks’ (a world renowned inventor) secret inventions. Joe, we need you to help bring this man to justice and recover the stolen items. I know you are just 20 years old Joe, but you are the future of this agency and the perfect man for this job. Now if you choose to accept this mission, I will give you some new gear, intel on Jursuf’s whereabouts, and you will begin your mission.” Mr. Whiteside said.
“Mr. Whiteside, I will gladly accept this mission. Now sir, why pick for this mission?” Joe asked.
“ You have never failed any test or obstacle course, your grades are stellar, and most most importantly, you have the drive and determination of a fat pig looking for good. What i’m trying to say is that you never give up, and that’s a quality that everyone should have.” replied Mr. Whiteside
“ Thanks you sir, now lets gets started on this mission.” Joe said.
“Okay, let’s get started! Follow me. I will take you to a room where we store all our devices.
Joe and Mr. Whiteside followed the hallway all the way to the end. At the end of the hallway, Mr. whiteside opened a door that led into a large room. Inside the room laid many cool technological devices. Many of these things Joe had never seen, although working here for a couple of years. Mr. Whiteside side pulled out a couple of devices and put them on a tray. There were 5 devices that Mr. Whiteside picked out.There was one mechanical pencil, an eraser, a toothbrush, an Apple tablet, and a computer wire. Mr Whiteside explained to Joe what these “normal” household items had been modifie to do.
“The pencil is a laser.” Mr. Whiteside said. “ Simply press the button on the side and the laser activates. The eraser is a very strong blade that can cut through almost everything. All you have to do is move the eraser bath and fourth on the object, and it will cut right through it. The toothbrush is indeed just a toothbrush. Don’t want your teeth to get dirty during a mission right? Get this, it has a built in paste dispenser in it too! Just press the button in the middle. The tablet is where you can report the progress during the mission to us. It pretty much can do the same things as a normal tablet, except it has thermal and X-ray vision. Also, if you want, it can display a holographic map right in front of you, and of the places you want. All these features can be accessed in the camera and maps app on the tablet. Finally, the computer wire is a mic. Tuck it in your shirt so you can communicate to us what is happening. This can be useful when you are in a crunchtime situation and you don't have time to take out your tablet and talk to us about something. Also, this wire can act as a tazer. Well, thats all I can give you.”
“Thanks Mr. Whiteside. I guess its time to go on my mission.” replied Joe.
“ Yes, it is time. Jursuf is expected to be hiding on Muai, an island in Hawaii. We think he is at the edge of the city, near the beaches. We have gotten intel that his ship has docked there. All if Brixton Burk’s stolen inventions should be on that ship. I will send you on a plane to the island. You will be escorted to a hotel near Jursuf’s boat, then you will make your move.”
“Ok. I got it Mr. Whiteside.”
A cool breeze passed by Joe’s nose. He heard the waves crashing on the sandy beach floor. Joe looked up and saw a beautiful palm tree. He looked down and saw some dazzling flowers. Joe had landed in Maui. Muai is a beautiful place thought Joe.
After waiting outside the airport for a while, a man walks up to him and said, “Are you Joe?”
“Yes, I am Joe.” he replied.
“ Follow me, I will escort you to the hotel. By the way, I am agent Carter. Mr. Whiteside told me about you, you are very impressive.” Carter said.
“Thanks.” Joe replied.
Agent Carter and Joe walked to the car. They got in and agent Carter began to drive. During the ride, Carter handed Joe a picture. Carter said, “This is a picture of Jursuf. This is the man you are looking for.” From the picture Jursuf looked like an ape, but a bit less hairy. He had scraggly hair and a huge mustache which curled in a spiral on the ends. Carter handed Joe another picture.
“ Here is the boat you are looking for. It is called Los Platanos.” Carter said. Los Platanos was a huge ship. It was literally as big as cruise ship. Joe though to himself, this shouldn't be so hard to find.
Carter drove a bit longer and they were at the hotel. Carter dropped Joe off at the hotel and drove away. The time right now was 8:00 in the night. Joe entered the hotel. His room was room 544. Joe took the elevator to the 5th floor and walked over to his room. Joe entered the room and decided to shut it down for the night, but before sleeping, he took out the tablet Mr. Whiteside gave him and contacted SA-10. Joe let them know that he had reached Maui safely. Just before sleeping, Joe remembered that you don’t want your teeth to get dirty during a mission, so he jumped off his bed, picked up the toothbrush and began to brush. Finally, after brushing, Joe slept peacefully.
Joe woke up at about 7:00 am next morning. He got dressed, packed his devices in a small sack bag and began his journey to find Jursuf Masuf. Lucky for Joe, the hotel was right next to the coast and port, so that’s where he started looking. Joe decided to march up the side of the beach where some boats were docked. He quickly scanned the area hoping to find Jursuf or his huge boat. So far, nothing had been found. Joe continued to walk along the coast until a ringing sound came from his sack bag. Joe stopped, opened his bag, and pulled out the ringing tablet. It was a call from Mr. Whiteside. Joe answered the tablet and Mr. Whiteside propped up on the screen.
“Joe, we have some new intel. Jursuf’s ship is docked on the port near pier 35” Mr. Whiteside said
“Nice! I’m just 10 minutes in walking distance from that pier. Thanks for the heads up!” Joe said.
“No problem. Remember to be careful Joe.” Mr.Whiteside replied.
Joe began to run toward the port. he got there in no time at all. Joe looked for signs that led him to pier 35. Currently he was standing a pier 20. Above him, Joe saw a sign saying Piers 30-40 on your left. Joe obeyed the sign and walked left.
After a couple minutes of jogging, Joe finally reached pier 35. To his surprise, a huge gate prevented him from actually entering the pier, but that was no match for Joe. He dug into his sack bag and pulled out the modified eraser. Joe began to “erase” the gate with the eraser’s sharp blade. Within a couple of seconds, Joe had created a nice opening which he could fit through. He stepped through the opening and saw Jursuf’s ship. Los Platanos. The ship was huge. It was even bigger in person than it was on paper. The ship could easily carry over 10,000 people. Joe predicted that things could get pretty heated in there, so he took out his computer wire mic, and stuck it down his shirt to communicate with SA-10 when he was inside the ship.
Joe slowly walked over to the ship. He didn’t want anybody to notice him. Once he arrived at the ship’s door, he realize that it was locked, so he pulled out the eraser once again and carved himself a hole to enter the ship. Since the ship was huge, it would be nearly impossible to find where Brixton Burk’s inventions were hidden. Luckily, Joe could scout out the ship with the x-ray and thermal vision from the tablet and locate the invention and see if anybody was there. Joe found out that there were a bunch of packages lying in the ships’ basement and there was only 1 person on the ship in the basement along with the packages. Joe quickly communicated his findings to SA-10 through the computer wire mic.
Now it was time for him to take those packages and take out the man guarding the packages. Joe spotted the packages and the man. He realized that the man was Jursuf Masuf, Joe had to fight the Jursuf to get the packages. Jursuf randomly turned around, saw Joe and said, “What are you doing here boy? I think you may have wondered off into the wrong ship.”
“No, Jursuf. I’m here to take those inventions back and bring you to justice.” Joe said.
“Come at me boy,” Jursuf said mockingly.
Jursuf and Joe charged at eachother. Joe jumped and kicked Jursuf right in the face, but Jursuf wasn’t fazed at all.
“Is that all you got?” Jursuf said.
Joe responded by landing two punches punches at Jursuf’s head and a kick right in the gut. Now Jursuf was fazed. He pulled out a gun, pointed it a Joe and said, “You're done boy. Give up now.
“Never!” Joe cried. Joe quickly ran near the boxes of inventions to take cover. While running there, Jursuf got off a few shots from his gun, but missed Joe. While taking cover, Joe pulled out the not so ordinary pencil, which was actually a laser.
Joe quickly asked through the computer wire mic, “How far can this thing shoot?”
A SA-10 employee at the other end answered “100 feet.”
That was just enough range for Joe to shoot Jursuf. Jow peeped over the boxes and saw that Jursuf was just a couple of feet away from him, with his gun locked and loaded. Joe only had one shot to hit the man, or else he would get shot himself. Joe leaped out of cover and pressed the laser button. Boom! Joe landed a perfect shot on Jursuf! Right on the shoulder, right where Joe wanted it to hit. Joe didn’t want to completely kill Jursuf , so the SA-10 could question him and find out some important information.
Joe said through the mic, “The inventions are here, Jursuf is down, mission accomplished.”
From the other side of the mic, Mr. Whiteside answered, “Great job Joe! I will send a team in there to pick up Jursuf and the stolen inventions.”
“Okay sir. Jursuf is not fully dead yet, so you can take him into questioning.” Joe said.
“Great!” Mr. Whiteside replied.
A team of 20 men came and took the inventions and Jursuf Masuf. Joe was flown back to the SA-10 headquarter. When he entered the building, applause filled the room. Many people were saying “great job” and “you’re the best,” to him. This was definitely one of the best days in Joe’s life.