Man's Best Friend | Teen Ink

Man's Best Friend

By cameron222 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
cameron222 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida

There once was a man named Tim. Tim grew up as a foster child. He never knew his real mom or dad, and they didn't know him. It never really bothered him though. Since he never had someone like a parent figure, he never learned to swim, ride a bike, throw a football, etc. He was a smart guy, but he was lacking a childhood. Tim grew up to be a custodian in his high school. He enjoyed his high school, and couldn’t find a job anywhere else so he decided to work there. He didn't have much money, and he didn't have anyone close to him. One day he decided to save up to buy a dog, a golden retriever! They're known for being great companions. This was an iffy decision for Tim because of his low income but he went with his gut and bought the dog from a breeder. The dog's name was Gary. Gary was a big dog, around 130 pounds. Tim loved Gary very much, and they became best friends instantly.  But he didn't really have the time to tend to him because of the long hours he was working as a custodian. After a long inner discussion, he decided it would be wise to give the dog back to the breeder, because he felt bad leaving the dog in his apartment for such a long time alone. Tim didn't have a car, so he had to walk Gary back to the breeder. He was so sad.

"I just don't want to let you go, Gary." Tim said while sobbing.
Suddenly Gary's walk turned into a full on sprint. He saw a river up ahead, and sprinted towards it, pulling Tim with him.
"No! Gary stop!"
Tim was holding on to the leash for dear life as the dog leaped five feet into the river, still pulling Tim with him.           
Of course, Tim didn't know how to swim. And Gary didn't know that. The dog looked around and noticed Tim was under him, drowning. The dog dunked himself underwater and saved Tim, brought him out of the water to safety. Gasping for breath, Tim realized that Gary had saved his life. He hugged the dog and cried. Suddenly, a news reporter walked over to the two.
                "Wow! Your dog just saved your life, I saw it! How would you like to be on the news? This is a great story!" Said the news reporter with excitement.
Everything was moving so fast. Before Tim could bat an eyelash, he was on the news being interviewed by a whole crew. He told his story on TV, and was paid handsomely. His life was turning around.  A week later, he got a call from a movie producer and was asked to be on a movie, where he would be the star and reenact his whole life which was suddenly turned upside-down because of his dog. Tim quit his job as a custodian and became a movie star, and was rich. He lived happily ever after with his best friend, Gary. Dogs truly are man’s best friend.

This short story is about how loving and caring dogs are for us. And it expresses that ones life could change in the blink of an eye.