The Accidental Mad Women | Teen Ink

The Accidental Mad Women

By AdeleandLoriforever SILVER, Brecksville, Ohio
AdeleandLoriforever SILVER, Brecksville, Ohio

The good thing about bad days is they only last 24 hours. <3

He was three years old when he died. They came and took him. I watched my as my son was thrown from the wagon and crushed by animals. It was 1939 and I was an Arm Nurse Corps. I was unmarried and I spent all of my time with the army. My name is Grace, I am 26 years old and my job is hard and I have lost so much from it but it is the only thing I have left. When I got out of college I joined the army after my husband died of Tuberculosis. He left me with my two sons. One was five years old his name was John and the other was two. His name was Henry. Two years later I married again. My father chose him and I didn't love him at all. He abused me and John. I ran away and left John with him. I took Henry. As soon as I left John I regretted it and thats why I decided to join the army. I wanted to make my way back to my son. Henry was different. When he talked he had a bit of a slur and he limped a lot. I loved him just the same thats what made it harder to watch him be thrown from the wagon. Every night since he died I had woken up screaming. I replay his death in my head except I was the killer. I was the one who let him die. I would wake up screaming every night and the pain was eating at me. I lost the only person who I had left. I was completely alone. The troop decided to kick me out and leave me behind at a neighboring village. I couldn't let that happen. I had to make my way back to John so I volunteered to fight in the war if they would keep me. They agreed and so I joined the arm with no experience. One day I knew it would be worth it though to see my son again. If I survived..
Six months later I was sitting under the tent writing and I heard men screaming and gun shots go off. The enemy attacked suddenly and to protect myself I took the life of a young child. I watched his face as I saw the pain run through his veins. I shot him in the chest and he fell. Down he went, I looked him in the eyes and saw something I had not seen for a very long time. Blue crystal eyes staring back at me. I didn't know where I knew them from so I ran. I ran into the woods and hid. I stayed there for two days and finally I came out. The army had moved and no one was in sight. I knew the direction in which they had come from, the bodies were scattered all around. After two weeks of walking I reached a village. Everything was quiet and there was no one around. It looked as though the whole village had been wiped out. I went into one of the houses and got food and water. The bread was dry and the water was dirty but I needed it. I heard voices from inside one of the houses and I looked in the window. The general was there and two other men who I did not recognise. They were wearing the uniform of our enemy. I met one of the mens eyes and I ran. He pulled out a gun and aimed it at me. I heard the general yell somehting but I couldn't hear it. Thinking fast I grabbed a gun from my pocket and fired. I kept my eyes closed and hoped I missed. Just then the general ran up. He grabbed my arm and shook me. What the helL he screamed. He slapped me across the face. What did that boy ever do to you? You are a traitor I screamed you were talking with the other team. No he said the boy just wanted to find his mother thats why he was here. He needed to know if we had seen her. We have a photo of her would you like to see. I shook my head, No. He lead me back into the house and handed me a photo I glanced at it and I froze. Without thinking I ran back to where the boy lay. By now half of his face was covered in blood. I checked for a pulse, there was none. The general caught up to me, out of breath and pulled me off of the boys body. He smacked me and yelled what is wrong woman. I handed him the photo and pointed at me then burst into tears. The general carried me back to camp and three days later I woke up and walked outside. The other troops were not around, they had left me behind. I went back into my tent lifted up my pillow and pulled out a gun. I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger.

This short story is about a mom who lost her son but also herself