Defying nightmares | Teen Ink

Defying nightmares

By TheEukaryote17 PLATINUM, Hull, Massachusetts
TheEukaryote17 PLATINUM, Hull, Massachusetts

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” - MLK

It's done, I am asleep. Do you follow your dreams? I know I do. I can do things in my dreams. I always know I'm dreaming when I am too. I try to blend in, like I'm a detective. It is very fun. It is like a game. The things I try to blend into are the people around me. They act like normal humans, but they're just subconscious projections. Sometimes I do very well and become a world leader, and sometimes I do bad and get a life sentence in jail. I'm never afraid, only if the invader comes. He's a bad man. He acts like everyone else, but he's searching for me. For some reason I can't keep him out. Sometimes it's like a nightmare with him. But recently, he's been different. He's more dark. Sometimes I can't wake myself up. There are some nights I try not to fall asleep. But this night is different. This night, I will try to stop him. So like I said, I'm now asleep. I did my usual things. I always start off in a apartment that I have bought. I do my morning routine, then ask my neighbor to lunch. "Hey, Sarah, want to go to lunch?" I said as I always do, the same way, the same tone. "Yeah, let's go to Albert's diner!" She said. That's how I know that the intruder is here. She suggests certain places if he's in my dream. All the people act different. I tried to act casual as always. "What about the coffee shop?" I asked. "Sure, that's great too!" She said. We went there. In my dreams I'm not in sixth grade anymore, I'm an adult. So we drove to the coffee shop. That is where I usually go to keep an eye out for the intruder. He's not like the humans who seem like they're programmed to have almost the same responses every time. I ordered the same coffee as usual. Everything was fine so far. I hadn't seen the intruder yet. The intruder is different every time. Sometimes he's wearing different clothes, sometimes he goes to different places, sometimes he looks different all together, and sometimes he's even a girl. Then I got a phone call. I thought that it may be the intruder for a second because this was not on schedule, but I couldn't assume everything was the intruder or else it would be no fun. I answered it and told Sarah I needed to take this call. "Hello?" I asked. "Leave the coffee shop now without Sarah!" The person on the phone said. Then they hung up. I was afraid it was the intruder, but if I didn't go I was afraid something bad may happen, so I went anyway. Sarah started following me. I told her to stay here. She continued to follow me. "I can't do that..." She said. I was freaked out then. But suddenly a man burst end out of the shops bathroom with a gun and started shooting. Sarah pulled out a gun and started to return fire. She grabbed me. "Let go of me!" I screamed not knowing who to trust. The people in the shop just took cover. "I'm saving you!" Sarah yelled at me in response. I didn't know who to trust. Why would Sarah not let me leave? Why did Sarah have a gun? Why did that guy randomly start shooting? It made no sense. But I knew one of them was the intruder. I chose to trust Sarah because I usually hangout with her in every dream. We ran away. The man with the gun yelled something at us as we ran away and started to chase us. We continued to run and we ran into a building. We climbed to the top floor. "Why would you bring me here?" I yelled at Sarah. "I have a plan! You'll knew what to do! Stay here I'll meet you back at the apartments!" She said starting to run back. "Wait!" I yelled to her not wanting her to leave. "There's no time!" She said back practically out the door. Then I saw the man emerge about 45 seconds of wondering later. "Hey, I'm not here to hurt you... I promise." He told me sounding sincerely. "Prove it." I said calmer. "I don't know how. I just need you to trust me." He said. He kept walking closer to me. "Not another step." I said to him. He continued as if he didn't hear me. I repeated it. Then I threw my hand in front of me and he fell backward. I realized that I had moved him with my hand without touching him.  "It's my dream, I can do it." I said to my self. Then he stood up. "That's right, but please don't do that again." He asked nicely. He started walking towards me again. "I'll do it again if you don't stop!" I threatened. I tried to do it again but it didn't work. I kept trying. Then he started to run towards me. I closed my eyes and tried to do something to not be tackled off the building by him. Then I flew straight up. He stopped himself. Trying to balance himself from falling. I flew to the apartments. "Hey Sarah, I escaped. I knew what to do like you said." I told her. "Good, I knew you would." She replied. "He's the intruder, right?" I said expecting her to know. "Yes, we need to get rid of him." She said. "I still have his number in recent calls." I said. "Okay let's call him, meet somewhere and trick him" she said. I started to dial his number back. I put him on speaker. "hey kid, I know you think I'm bad but I'm not the intruder, I'm here to help." He said quickly. "I know. I want to meet somewhere so I can go with you instead of her." I told him lying. "Okay, let's meet in the alleyway of everdon street." He said. "Okay, on my way" I told him. I flew there with Sarah quickly. We waited for him for a few minutes. Eventually he came. "Hey! Why did you bring her?" He asked worried. "No, it's a trick." He said to himself out loud for some reason. "Yeah, it is." Sarah told him. "I wasn't lying like you kid. I am really here to help." He said. Then I noticed it. He said kid. Only a subconscious projection would know who I really am and that they're not real humans. "You aren't the intruder..." I said. "Yes! He is!" Sarah yelled panicking. "You know I'm a kid." I told him. "See? Exactly!" He said happily. "Then." I said not being able to finish my sentence nor my thought. "Sarah is the intruder" the man said finishing my thought for me. I stepped away from her quickly. Then I faced her and stared. "Yeah, I'm the intruder!" She said. "Run!" The man said. I continued to stare at her. "Why would you admit it?" I asked her. "Because it's true!" She said trying to scare me. "I'm not afraid of you." I admitted truthfully. "Yes you are! I'm intruding your dream! I'm your worst nightmare!" She said with hope that it was true. "No, not anymore. You have no power." I replied. Then everything started to fade to white. "You cannot defy your nightmare!" She screamed as everything faded. I opened my eyes, I was awake. I looked around my dark bedroom. I thought to myself, and then said, "it isn't hard to get over a nightmare, if you know that your living your dream." After that night,the intruder never returned in any form.

This is my second submission and it is about a child who, in his dreams, defends himself from an intruder. He doesn't know who the intruder is, but he must find out and defend himself.