The one Unmasked | Teen Ink

The one Unmasked

December 9, 2014
By MazeRunner19 BRONZE, Stockton, California
MazeRunner19 BRONZE, Stockton, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you ain't scared..you ain't human"


I had fallen asleep last night while watching a movie with Caleb. I think he was on the couch I'm not sure. I heard loud banging on my door so I woke up and started walking towards the door. While I was walking towards the door I had seen Caleb asleep on the couch. I guess he turned the tv off before he fell asleep because I don't remember what happened only that I fell asleep with my hand in the popcorn bowl. The loud banging continued which knocked me out of my thoughts.

 

“I'm coming!” I yelled while passing the kitchen. I finally reached the door so I looked through the peep hole. It was Cristina my best friend that I really don't want to talk to I thought as I opened the door and saw her standing with a basket full of muffins. Cristina is a really nice girl my other best friend Thomas had introduced me to her a while back. She is a classy girl and she is into a lot of bands that I don’t really care for. We have some things in common but it took us time to get to know each other. Thomas helped me open up to her because I was really shy on my first year at college.       
”Good morning sleepy head,” said Cristina
“Good morning,”I said while walking to the kitchen
“Come in so why did you come so early in the morning?” I asked while pouring a glass of juice.
“It’s not even morning its two o’clock,” said Cristina, as she put the basket on the counter
“ Oh we must have slept all day then,” as I poured a glass of juice for her.
”We?”she asked, while grabbing a muffin from the basket.
“Oh yeah Caleb came over last night to watch a couple movies and he’s still here,”I said while walking over to the couch. I started to think I didn’t really meet Caleb on my own either. Thomas had introduced us at a party and from that point on we have been getting along together. Thomas and Caleb both dress casual like I do. We all have brown hair and live in the same neighborhood.  
“Oh sounds fun,”said Cristina, as she put the muffin on a napkin. I had reached the couch and crept over to the end where Calebs head was.
“Caleb!”I yelled while hitting him in the head with a pillow. He had fallen off of the couch and onto the floor, I started laughing while walking back to the kitchen.
“Ow good morning to you to I’m going to get you back!”said Caleb, as he got off of the floor.
“Okay go ahead but I doubt you can think of anything to do to me I have cat like reflexes,”I said, while grabbing my glass of juice.
“Come here,”said Caleb, as he grabbed me and pulled me away from my seat.
“Let go!” I yelled while trying to break free out of his arms. I then realize that I am being thrown onto the couch.
“Ha I got you back,” Caleb said, while walking into the kitchen.
“ You guys are so weird,”Cristina said.
“Whatever,”Caleb said.
I then started to hear them whisper I couldn't make out what they were saying. I think it was about me because I think I heard my name in there somewhere. I decided I should get up but I thought of  a funny prank to pull on them.
“Ow!”I said, while dropping my glass onto the couch.I heard them stop whispering and look to see what happened.
“What's wrong?”asked Caleb, as he started walking towards the couch.
“ I don’t know my hand just really hurts now,” I say, while holding my hand.
“Caleb you better not have broken her hand when you threw her on the couch,” said Cristina, as she ran to the couch.
“Here let me see,”She said as she examined my hand.
“I am so sorry lets go take her to the hospital now!”said Caleb, as he goes and grabs the keys to his car.
“Yeah lets go I can't tell if its broken or not,”Cristina said, as she goes to grab her bag.  I knew Cristina would be confused because she is in medical school to become a pediatrician. I decided that I should tell them so we don't have to go to the hospital for nothing.
“No I don't think that is necessary im fine,” I say, while laying down on the couch.
“NO! you're going,”said Caleb.
“No really I’m fine Caleb its,” but before I could finish Caleb lifted me off of the couch and started walking towards the door.
“Caleb put me down my hands are not broken I was just joking,”I said.
“Are you sure because that was some pretty good acting to me?”He asked while slowly putting me back onto the floor.
“Yes look,”I say while wiggling both of my hands in his face.
“Wow you really got me worried there,”said Cristina, as she puts her bag back where she had picked it up from.
“Yeah me too,”mumbled Caleb, as he walked back into the kitchen. There has always been something wrong with Caleb. He actually has anger issues but that’s not what im talking about he has always cared a lot about whether if I'm okay or not.
I think he likes me more than a friend, maybe thats what him and Cristina were whispering about. I looked around the room and saw Cristina and Caleb were whispering again. I walked into the kitchen and it instantly stopped then I knew it had something to do with me.
“What are you guys talking about?” I ask, while walking slowly towards the counter.
“Nothing just about how you tricked us into thinking your hand was broken,”said Cristina. I know she is lying because every time she does her eyes move everywhere except who she is talking to.
“Really because before I faked having my hand being broken you guys were whispering,”I say while I go to sit on one of my high chairs that make my feet dangle.
“I was just saying how it was funny to see you go flying onto the couch,”said Caleb, as he plays with his hands.
“Why are you guys lying to me?”I ask.
“What do you mean?”asked Caleb, as he looks at me worried.
“I can tell when you and Cristina lie so spit it out!”I say, while banging my hand onto the counter.
“Okay fine,”says Cristina, as she gets up and walks towards me.
“No Cristina she can't know!”said Caleb, as he grabs her by the arm.
“We have to tell her sooner or later,” She says while getting out of Calebs grasp.
“ But I'm not ready to tell her,”Caleb says, as his eyes start to form tears.
“Nevermind you don't have to say anything if you guys don't want to but, obviously you guys don't,” I say, while getting up and walking towards the couch.
“ I want to but I'm afraid of what you will think of me,” says Caleb, as he sits back on his stool.
“Its okay you don't have to I just got mad because you guys were lying to me,”I say, while grabbing a blanket and wrapping it around me.
“No im telling you now,”Says Caleb, as he walks towards the couch. He had walked to the couch and plopped himself right next to me while looking down at the floor.
“Okay so I like you a lot but please dont get mad at me,” he says, while covering his face with his hands.
“Really?”I ask in amazement.
“Yeah are you mad?”he asks.
“No why would I be mad at that?”I say, while taking his hands of of his face.
“Oh well I don’t know,”He says.
“Awww I have been waiting for this for a long time!”Cristina says as she runs over to the couch and hugs us both. I knew it had something to do with me,but I just can't believe Caleb actually likes me. I look outside and see the sun already setting.
“Oh wow it’s getting late,”I say while pointing outside at the sunset.
“Wow that is so pretty!”said Cristina.
  “Caleb are you staying another night I have your bag here from last time?”I ask while picking up my glass that was on the floor.
“Um I don't know I might go home,”He says, while getting up and grabbing his stuff.
“Are you gonna stay over Cristina?”I ask, while going to sit on the couch.
“Yeah I got nothing to do but clean at home,”Cristina says, as she goes to grab her phone from her purse.
“I guess I could stay to,”says Caleb, as he goes and puts his stuff in the corner.
“Okay should we invite Thomas and David?”I ask.
“Yeah sure let me text them,”said Cristina, as she unlocks her phone and starts typing.
“So what are we going to eat?”asked Caleb, shyly.
“Um I guess we could order pizza?”I ask.
“We had that yesterday,”said Caleb, as he walks into the kitchen.
“True how about chinese food?”I ask, while getting up and opening the window.
“Oh yeah I have been craving chinese food!”says Caleb.
“Okay let me call and order some,”I say while going to grab my phone.
An hour later David and Thomas showed up with some soda and by then I had to go get the chinese food. I had to make several trips in and out of the restaurant with loads of foods.
It ended up being like ten when I got home. We ate and everybody eventually fell asleep after that. I couldn’t fall asleep so I went out on my patio.  I never noticed that it was so pretty at night, all of the lights in the city were on and it was so bright. All I could hear were the waves crashing onto shore. I then heard the door open slowly, I knew it had to be one of my friends.
“Hi,”said Caleb.
“Hey,”I said.
“What are you doing up?”he asked.
“Oh nothing I just couldn't sleep,”I said,while going to sit down on one of my chairs.
“Oh,”he said, while also taking a seat next to me.
“Wait what is that!”he yells.
“What?” I ask, while looking out to the city.
“Oh my gosh,” I say, while still looking at the city. All I see is a black plane carrying a black bomb by what I think are hooks. 
“We need to leave now!”I say while getting up and grabbing his hand and dragging him inside. I then quickly turned on the lights in the kitchen and the living room where everyone was sleeping.
“Everybody up!” I yell while letting go of Caleb's hand and running towards the front door.
“Caleb turn on the tv and put on the news!”I yell. I know I have to block the door so I grab multiple chairs and prop them up to close it tightly. I then run and go to the living room and sit on the couch.
“What are you guys doing?”asks Cristina.
“Are you guys mad?”asks Thomas.
“It’s like four in the morning!” yells Cristina.
“I know me and Caleb saw an airplane with a bomb,”I say, while messing with my fingers nervously.
“Hey its going to be okay,”says Caleb, while putting a hand on my shoulder. Before I could say anything the news starts.
“Breaking news terrorist have been spotted over downtown of San Diego. We have yet to know who is controlling the plane but the military are doing everything they can to communicate with whoever is in the plane. We advise for everyone who is watching to stay calm and try to stay indoors until everything has been dealt with,”says the news anchor.
“Guys I think you should see this,”says Thomas, while pointing outside. I then get up from the couch and run towards the window. I see people all in black with guns and metal masks covering their face with black ak47 guns.
“Who are those people?” asks Cristina.
“I don’t know but I think they have something to do with that big plane,”says David.
“Look they are all across the beach!”says David, as he walks towards the patio door. I was looking outside when the lights turned off in the house. Cristina started screaming and I had to put my hand over her mouth to keep her quiet.
“Who turned off the lights?”I ask while still covering Cristinas mouth. I am pretty sure we stood there for about three minutes in the dark.
“Um I did on accident “says who I think is Caleb.
“Well why didnt you say so?” I ask while I take my hand off of Cristina's mouth.
“Oh well I hadn't realized I was leaning up against the wall that had the light switches on it,” said Caleb.
“Oh well can you at least turn one of the lights on?”asked who I think was David.
“No because the people on the beach will notice us!”I yelled.
“So what they won't do anything to us!”said David.
“Well I'm not turning on the lights because I agree with Bella,”said Caleb.
“Oh I know why its because you love her!”yelled David, in a very annoying voice.
“I guess I will just have to turn them on myself,”He said. I then let go of Cristina and ran to where he was walking I then jumped on his back and tackled him to the ground. I really didn't know what I was doing because it was practically pitch dark. I had eventually grabbed his arm and put it behind his back and pinned him on the ground. He was trying to get up but I pulled his hair and lifted his head so that it was right next to mine.
“If you turn those lights on I will make sure that you are the one to die before all of us and I better not hear another word come out of you for the rest of the night got it?”I ask while still pinning him to the ground.
“Yes,”says David, in a muffled tone.
“Good,”I say, while letting go of his hair which caused his head to hit the ground pretty hard. I got off of him and walked towards the kitchen to find a certain drawer. It took me a while because in the process I hit my side on the countertop while walking and I had to open multiple drawers.
“What are you doing?”asked Cristina.
“I am looking for my flashlight oh, I found it hold on,”I say while sliding the button up.
It took my eyes to adjust to the lighting because of the dark. I then walked to another drawer and grabbed a lighter. After that I walked into the living room looking for my favorite lemon scented candle.
“What are you looking for now?”asked Thomas, as he took a seat on the ground.
“My candle have you seen it?”I ask, in a annoyed voice.
“Oh yeah it’s on one of your shelves by the tv,”says Thomas, as he points in the direction that it’s in.
“Thanks,”I say, while flashing the light towards to shelf. I found it and lit the candle. I then put the candle on the coffee table and sat next to Thomas.


“Hey guys come here and try to get some sleep,”I say while leaning my head on Thomas’s shoulder. I then saw Cristina, Caleb, and bruised David come and sit in a semi circle. It was quiet for a while Cristina looked as if she saw her life flash before her eyes. David looked as if he didn't want even to be near me because every time I went to go look at him he would instantly turn away. Caleb on the other hand looked sorta embarrassed and hurt. I knew that he looked that way because of what David had said. I still can't believe that he said that because I think everything between us is going to be awkward from now on. I hadn't realized that I was slipping off of Thomas’s shoulder until he caught my head before it fell.
“I think you need some sleep,”he said, while leaning up against the couch.
“No I’m fine I can stay awake”I say while yawning
“You just yawned which sorta means you're tired so go to sleep,”He says while putting his hand on my shoulder.
“Well now that you're bringing it up I guess I'm a little tired,”I say while laying down on his left leg.
“Here,”he says, while handing me a couch pillow and a blanket.
“Thanks,” I say, while getting comfortable on his leg again.
“Anytime,”he says, while slowly putting his hands through my hair. I then start to think that Thomas has always been there for me. I had met him on my first day at college. I had gotten lost and I asked him for help to find my class. Since then we have been the best of friends. I then wanted to think of all the good memories I had with everyone but I then started falling into deep sleep. I then woke up to some shuffling around me and realized that Thomas was trying to break free from my tight hold on his leg.
“Oh sorry I tried so hard not to wake you,”he says, while getting back into his position I had last seen him last night. 
“Oh no It’s okay I want to see if those people are still out there,”I say while letting go of his leg and walking towards the patio door. I reached the door and saw the same people standing all along the beach. I then started walking back towards the living room until I stopped when I heard banging on the front door. I looked to everyone in the living room and they had heard it too because they all looked in the same direction.
“What do we do?”asked Cristina as she started speed walking towards me.
“Um everyone get over her,”I say, while going into the kitchen and opening a cabinet.
“What are you looking for,”asked Caleb, shyly while walking over to me.
“This,”I say, while pulling a handgun out from the cabinet. Once I pulled it out everyone backed up a little and looked at me in amazement.
“What?”I ask, while shutting the cabinet.
“Hey a girl has to have protection,”I say, while holding loading the gun with seven bullets than seem to be made out of copper.
“Okay lets just go see who it is,”says Cristina.
“Okay come on,”I say, while walking towards the front door. I then hold up my hand to tell everyone to stop moving so I can go look. I then went towards the window on the left side of the door that had a dark blue curtain that hung inches from the floor. I pushed the blue curtain back a little to see five guys about my age holding guns and blocking a girl with long blonde hair that fell to her chest.
“I don’t know who they are but they look our age”I whisper while slowly putting the curtain back into place.
“Let me see”says Thomas as he walks past me and doing the same movement I did when I opened the curtain.
“Oh its fine its Meghan, John, Charlie, Michael and Noah,”he says, while putting the curtain back into place.
“Should we let them in?”I ask, while walking towards him.
“Yeah we should because I think they can help us,”he says.
“How do you know them?”I ask.
“School, it’s fine we are really close and you can trust them,”says Thomas.
“Okay if you say so,”I say, while unlocking the door and slowly opening it.
“Hey is Thomas here?”asks a tall boy with brown hair wearing black converse, blue jeans, and a white shirt with a gun on his side.
“Yeah I’m right here Charlie,”says Thomas, as he opens the door a little more.
“Dude we have to get out of here now everyone is going crazy and those people on the beach are putting people on edge,”says Charlie as he points towards the beach.
“Yeah we already saw at least twenty people dead and a couple people attempting suicide on the way here,”says another boy behind Charlie.
“Oh wow okay we should get out of here,”says Thomas, as he puts his hand through his hair.
“Hey come inside so you guys don't get seen by anyone,”I say, opening the door more while gesturing for them to come in.
“Wow its smells good in here what is it lemon?”asks the blonde headed girl who I assume is Meghan.
“Yeah I put a candle on last night for light, you must have a really good sense of smell because it got turned off last night, ”I say while closing the door.
“Oh, yeah I guess you can say that,”she says as she gets behind Charlie again. I was about to ask her what she meant by that but her and Charlie started whispering.
“Cristina will you show them to the living room?”I ask while locking the door. I then started walking behind the just a few feet away. I thought it was odd that she started whispering to that kid Charlie. I think there is something off about her because of that. I had finally reached the living room and I sat on the floor next to Thomas. The group started talking about what they had seen and what their plan was to get out of here. I was starting to question how they got all of those guns but, I really didn’t want to speak up because I don’t know them. So, I decided to ask Thomas since he was right next to me and he knew them better.
“Hey Thomas do you know where they got the guns from because they haven't said anything about that,”I whispered, while scooting closer to him.
“Uh..well I don't know probably there house,”he whispered, as he scratched the back of his neck.
“Really because they have like ten guns just lying around their house,”I said.
“Well I don't know,”he says while playing with his fingers.
“Well whatever so how did you meet these guys?”I ask.
“Uh..well I.. um I think met them at a party,”he says unsurly. I can tell he’s lying and nervous because he plays with his hands whenever he is.
“Oh cool so do you know where they are from?”I ask curiously.
“Uh.. lets not talk about that now lets just listen to what they have to say alright?”he says.
“Okay then,”I say while playing with the tips of my hair.
A little after my conversation with nervous Thomas I started to look around at everyone and Caleb was looking down at the floor he seemed to be thinking about something that was bothering him. I decided I should go and comfort him. I then got up and went over to him and plopped myself right next to him. He seemed a bit startled but relaxed when he knew it was me. I then grabbed his hand and intertwined it with mine. He looked up at me and I smiled which caused him to smile to. I then started to look around again, I saw Meghan and she seemed to be bothered by something. I don’t really want to say anything to her because of what happened when they were entering my house. 
“So all we need is a place to go after we get out of here”says Charlie.
“Oh well I wanted to go to my parents but they live in the mountains which is pretty far from here,”I say.  
“Thats perfect!”says Meghan.
“Okay so it’s settled you're coming with us,”asks one of the other boys who name is John. I looked around at everyone for reassurance and finally answered with a yes. I took us all about three hours to shower and get our stuff and pack it into the white van Thomas’s friends had showed up in. We all finally got settled in the van Meghan and Cristina were next to me. Charlie was driving and Thomas was in the passenger seat. In the backseat Caleb, David the rest of Thomas’s friends were sitting with guns at their sides so they could shoot at a moments notice. The van isn’t in the best of shape but a car is a car I guess. There was a strong smell of car freshener and parts of the gray seats were torn off which made it look old and used. We had started getting closer to the end of San Diego when two black vans started following behind us.
“Don't fire till they fire at us,”says Charlie, in a calm tone as he kept on driving. I don’t know why Charlie is so calm right now he should be the one scared for his life because he has to drive. I am so nervous because I don't want anything to happen to anyone.
“Woah,”says Charlie, as he comes to a stop. I look and see that we are surrounded by more people dressed in black with guns.
“What do we do?”asks Meghan, nervously.
“We wait,”says Charlie.
“How about if I go out already,”says Meghan, as she grabs my hand for comfort.
“No we already talked about this,”says Charlie.
“I have to, It’s putting everyone in danger”says Meghan.
“No,”says Charlie, angrily while pounding on the steering wheel. It looked as if Meghan was about to say something but she was cut of by someone shouting outside. We all looked to see that it was David who was shouting.
“If you want you friend back then give us the girl,”says an old man that is dressed like the people around him but without a mask. I look and see that he has a gun pointing at Davids head. I don’t even know how  David got all the way out there without anyone hearing. I guess I was too busy listening to Charlies and Meghans conversation that I didn't hear him get out of the car. Wait but why would he go outside when Charlie just told us to wait.
“David!”Cristina yells while swinging the door open.
“NO!”we all shout. I start rushing towards the door where Cristina came out from to go get her but I stop when I hear a gunshot go off. I already know its Cristina because I can see her arm on the floor as I get closer to the door. I instantly start to tear up while closing the door.
I then feel a body slide down from the seat behind me. I look up to see that its Caleb offering me if I would want a hug. I accepted his hug and started to cry into his shoulder while he rubbed my back telling me it was okay even though when I knew it was not.
“Oh my bad I meant the other girl perhaps the one that is named Meghan,”says the old man that I now want to kill .
“Charlie I love you so much but you have to go with out me I don’t want anyone else to die because of me,”says Meghan.
“No you can’t I already lost mom and dad I can’t lose you,”says Charlie.
“Just please don’t leave me!”
I then lift my head up to see that Meghan let go of my hand and is already gone and that David is speed walking back to the car. I then start thinking how she got there so fast without me hearing the door open and close. David then enters the car looking very frightened and quickly closes the door.
“Hey how did she leave without opening the door?”I whisper while looking at Caleb.
“She just..I..I don’t really know she just got there,”says Caleb as he looks at me with worried eyes.
“What do you mean she just was here then there?”I whisper.
“Yeah I guess...I knew we shouldn't have came,”says Caleb as he leans his head on the old car van door.
“What do you mean?”I ask.
“I never really got fully introduced to these people I only met them once and that’s when I accidentally walked into one of their conversations,”said Caleb. ”They were all yelling about Meghan and saying that she needed to leave the city that night,”
“Wait when did you hear that?”I ask.
“I don’t know about two weeks ago I didn’t think it was that important because I didn’t know them that well,”he says, while shifting me onto his lap. I lean my head on his chest and think about what he just told me. I then start to think about when the group had arrived at my house. Meghan and Charlie were whispering when I questioned her about the candle.     
“Thomas why do they want her?”I ask, while lifting my head off of Caleb's shoulder.
“Bella just don’t,”says Caleb, as he tries to pull me back down on his shoulder.
“No Cristina got shot right now and I wanna know why they want Meghan?”I ask, angrily. After I said that nobody said anything.
“What do you guys not know how to speak all of a sudden?”I ask, to no one imparticular.
“Isabella calm down alright just don’t worry about it,”says Charlie, as he turns to look at me.
“You do not tell me to calm down, those people just killed one of my best friends and you want me to just not worry about it!”I yell while getting up and grabbing Charlies shirt.
“ Bella!”yells Caleb, as he tries to pull me back. I look into Charlie's eyes and notice that he has the same expression on his face that David did when I tackled him. I then let go of his shirt and fall into Caleb’s arms.
“I..I’m...sorry I don’t know what came over me I just...nevermind I don’t want to know,”I say, while burying my head into Caleb's shoulder.
“It’s fine..I guess I should have told you guys that..well Meghan..isn’t normal,”says Charlie. The words that just came out of his mouth made me so confused. 
“You can explain it to them later can we just get out of here?”asks David shakily.
“I can’t just leave without my sister,”says Charlie. All of a sudden I hear a voice that seems to be Meghan’s.
“Charlie you need to leave now they will hurt you if you do not go,”says Meghan. I look around and see that she is still standing outside and that everyone seems to be hearing what I’m hearing to. I look up at Caleb and he seems terrified. So, I grab his hand and intertwine it with mine which causes him to relax a little.
“Thank you for telling them that, your friends may leave now,”says the old man holding onto Meghan and gesturing for us to go straight out of the city with a now clear path ahead. I then turn to look at Meghan and see that she is mouthing the words “go”to Charlie. I look at Charlie and see that he has tears falling down his cheeks. He then starts the car back up and starts to drive. I don’t want to ask any questions because I can tell everyone is still in shock. I do have a feeling that it will be like this for the rest of the way so I plan on not bothering to try to start any type of conversation.  
The End.