Strong and Free | Teen Ink

Strong and Free

December 2, 2014
By Lillyloo SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
Lillyloo SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Alyssa could hear the shouting of the police behind her. She sprinted into the forest to avoid them, but the police were too well trained to let her escape. She knew that because she was a woman it was against the law for her to be outside, but she wanted to go out and see the world for what it was. Not sit around in her house like a cat, oblivious to the world around her.
The shouting got quieter and she looked back. As she did this, Alyssa stumbled over an old tree root that she couldn’t see and heard a crack as her ankle got stuck under the root. When she got up, the hurt ankle seared with pain under her weight. Alyssa cursed and held back tears as she tried to keep running, but all she could manage was a slow, lopsided jog and then she fell down again because the pain was too much. Was this a mistake? she thought.
She knew that she would have brought more freedom to women. More freedom to work. More freedom to earn money. But maybe the men in rule were right though, maybe women were too weak, and too fragile to be outside, work with the men, and earn their own living.
The yelling of the the police got louder and Alyssa couldn’t decide what to do. The police were only thirty five yards away when she realized: This is my purpose. This is why I am here. I will show them how strong a woman can be.
“I won’t go down without a fight,” Alyssa proclaimed to the world “I will be strong, and I will be free!” She stood up straight and tall, clenched her fists, gritted her teeth, and waited for them to come.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece in 7TH grade and it is my personal favorite so far.