Stranded | Teen Ink

Stranded

November 21, 2014
By cjmayes SILVER, St. Paul, Arkansas
cjmayes SILVER, St. Paul, Arkansas
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
(dont got one)


Today was the day; I’m finally going deep sea fishing for my 16th birthday. I’m going with James and Ben, my two best friends, who say they are experienced fishermen. It’s 82 degrees, a perfect day to go fishing. Nothing can go wrong. Well, that’s what we had thought; now it’s been two hours, and we have been floating in the strong current hoping to found land. James said the engine had failed, and we were going to be here until someone found us.
Now I’m worried. It’s getting dark, and we are low on food and water. We need to set up a watch schedule, so we volunteer Ben to start. He will watch if any rescue boat comes. All of a sudden, I heard a big crash sound out by the front deck. I ran to investigate the noise, and when I got there, James was crawling down the side of the boat to see what had happen. Then he yelled and said, “We hit a rock and began to sink.”
So I grabbed all of the food that I could and James grabbed the life boat. James quickly inflated the boat and threw it into the water and jumped. Ben was right behind him, wasting no time. Then I began to run right before the engine blew and threw me back like a rag doll against the wall. I could barely move. All I could do is call for help. I realized that I need to get out of here before I die, then I see James running towards me to save me.
He throws me off the boat, and I land in the water. Then Ben threw me into the small lifeboat. All of a sudden, James jumps into the lifeboat and says “Let’s get out of here while we still can.”  So James and Ben started paddling and hoping to find land soon. All of the sudden, I wake up hearing Ben jumping up and down and crying out “I see land, I see land.” Then I grab a paddle and started to paddle as fast as I could.
We wash up on the beach, running around to celebrate that we had found land. After a while I go and start making a fire pit and a shelter and made James pick up sticks, and I made Ben find anything that would help us start the fire from the life boat. They both came back with a big armful of sticks and a water proof fire starter and enjoyed the rest afterwards. The next morning I went and explored while trying to find anything to eat or drink and succeeded by finding six coconuts by a waterfall and went back to camp. When I had got back, I went to set the coconuts into the lifeboat with all of our food. Then I saw our life boat floating away.
I ran into the cold, dangerous water to save our lives. My heart beat fast, and I could barely breathe. Then I grabbed something hard and wooden and pushed myself up onto the lifeboat and rested for a couple of seconds that seemed like forever. I looked back at the beach and saw my friends pointing behind me, so I look behind. Then I see something in the distance, something big that could save our lives, and I grabbed a paddle and started to paddle to the mysterious thing wondering what it was. When I got close enough, I heared someone yelling “Stop where you are and stay right there. Someone will come to help you.”
Then I see someone coming on a boat with a medic, and I was relieved to see a search and rescue boat. When they got close to me, they helped me onto the other boat, and I told them that I had two other friends on the island waiting for me to come back to them. So they sent me back to the main boat and told me to rest and not worry about my friends because they will be here soon. I went to the captain’s cabin to talk to him. When I reached his cabin door, I heard a deep voice telling me to come in.
He introduced himself saying, “My name is Hank Davidson, but everyone calls me Captain David for some odd reason. Now what can I help you with?”
  “I just wanted to say thank you for saving me and my friends back there and wanted to know when we will be back.”
“We will get you back home around dark tomorrow.”
“Ok.”
Now we are feet away from the docks, and I can see all of my family and friends waiting for me. When the boat hit the dock, I ran to my family to hug and thank them for being here for me. Now after that experience, James and Ben and I are closer than we were before and ready for the next time we go fishing.