Fiction Story Prologue | Teen Ink

Fiction Story Prologue

November 18, 2014
By Amber R. SILVER, Fayetteville, Georgia
Amber R. SILVER, Fayetteville, Georgia
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

With my head down in grief that was too much for a nine-year old girl to contain, I lead my crying twin sister into the woods. Silently, I promise myself that my father’s death will be avenged. The pendant around my neck feels heavy. It is the last gift that I received from him. Crystal fingers her own necklace, unable to calm down. Her pale, sightless blue eyes stream tears as she wails and hiccups. To distract myself from overwhelming memories, I urge my already aching legs to go faster, putting distance from our broken land and destroyed home. Crystal gasps at my brief absence and holds her hand out for me to grasp. I turn, seize her waiting hand, and lead her deeper into the maze of trees. “Karan?” Crystal manages to squeak through her tears. “Yes, Crys?” I ask, using her nickname. Her face momentarily regained the humor and happiness that it had formerly known despite her blindness. Then, in a flash, it was gone. Malai had called her that, and the presence of our father’s name in my mind almost made me cry too. But, as the eldest daughter of Malai, I had to be strong. For Crystal’s sake. “Where are we going to live?” I pause as her voice returns me to reality. “Let me check the map.” I say, retrieving the ancient parchment scroll from my red and gold waist bag. “There appears to be a cave a couple yards away from the lake. We could stay there.” I return the map to my bag and lead Crystal to the lake. The late evening sun shines through the rain and clouds, treating my eyes to a beautiful sight. The colors of the sunset reflect off the shining lake. “If only you could see the colors of the lake, Crys.” I stated cautiously, not wanting to offend her. “Bring me to the lake. I want to feel the water.” She said, reaching her fingers out. Leading her by the shoulder, I bring her to the lake’s edge and gently pull her onto her knees. She stabilizes herself with her right hand and tentatively touches the rippling surface of the blue-green water with her left. She pulls her hand back immediately and gives a laugh. “It’s cold!” She says, smiling. Then, she splashes me in the face with the water. I sit there, shocked, then scoop a handful and splash her back. Feeling the cold spray, she turns and runs away, squealing with delight. We play in the water until the sun fully sets and the crickets begin to chirp. I grab our two canteens and ask her to fill them while I seek out the cave and make camp. Once the sleeping bags are ready, I call for her. When she doesn’t come, I go and look for her. “Crystal?” I yell. “O-over here.” I hear her quiet voice say. I turn and find her behind a bush. She is crying. “Come here.” I say, and she reaches towards the sound of my voice. I fight my own tears. I bring her back to the small camp as she dries her tears. “Are we going to stay here tomorrow Karan?” She asks. “No,” I respond. “We’re going to go to the Hidden Falls.” “What is that?” She asks, confused. “I read in a book once that the Hidden Waterfall is a sacred place. We would be protected.” “And what else did your travel guide say?” Crystal asked sarcastically. “I remember it saying something about a cave at the base of the falls. The book made it sound like a paradise.” I recalled the beautiful images and recall that, when I read the book, it was almost as if I could hear the falls. In my heart, I knew that Crystal and I would love it there. “Go to sleep, Crys. We have a long journey ahead of us.”