Dream | Teen Ink

Dream

November 19, 2014
By AlexND18 BRONZE, Peachtree City, Georgia
AlexND18 BRONZE, Peachtree City, Georgia
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

          I lay outside as my eyes wonder from side to side. The trees sway as a gust of wind blows by. The sun shines down on me as my eyes slowly shut. The scene goes black and everything changes.
          I awaken to an unknown place I have never seen before. Lying in an open field, with trees in the distance, the sounds of strange animals linger in the distance. The fear sets in, not knowing what lurks in the woods, but I don’t panic. I see people hesitantly stalking me. They advance, I run. I stood no chance; they ambush me from the trees. The strangers lock me up in a cage once they caught me. After a few hours the people unlock the cage and let me out.  I chose not to run this time. I ask where I am. The man replies with a soothing and calm voice, “You have been sent here by the prophecies” and then introduces himself as Darius. Curiosity strikes me, wondering what the problem is, but he doesn’t share. I wonder around my new surrounding observing the people. Now that I have more freedom I can explore a bit more, the trees rustle in the wind and again I hear strange animal noises from the forest. The people live very simple, the food they get is just from the cattle and the crops that they had grown. They all have a role to do and none of them slack off, because they all live as a community and they all have to do what is best for the community.
          An alarm blares; the strange animal noises are getting closer. People run for cover, while others scurry around gathering armor and weapons. The man I was talking to earlier threw me armor and a sword. I look at the battle gear at my feet in confusion. The animals were not animals but large beasts with hundreds of sharp teeth getting ready to shred anything to pieces. They had eight legs that pierced the ground, and a long body with a tail of a scorpion. I quickly put on my gear and hold my sword with caution, having never used one before. I look around as the other fighters thrash their swords at the beasts with no hesitation. One of the smaller ones charges me and I don’t have a second thought but to run this, however, was the worst idea that I could have come up with. Just as the beast is about to lunge and tear me to shreds an arrow hits the monster in the side of its chest and vaporizes into a cloud of smoke. I look around in thanks to the archer, but he has already moved onto a new target that had no better results than the last. I finally build up the courage and charge; I slice one as it’s about to pounce, and another from behind. The few that now remain huddle up in a ground and flee.
          After the beasts had left all of the fighters looked at me like I hadn’t done what I was supposed to do. I again was confused, because I didn’t know what they wanted me to do. They must think that I have some kind of magic powers of something along those lines. Darius walks over to me and tells me to follow him. I follow him and he leads me to his cabin. He tries to explain to me that many years ago the community had received a message stating that the person will be able to solve the one problem no one else can solve and that is to slay the beasts that lurk in the forest. As Darius reaches into his cabinets, I wonder around this unfamiliar building. The walls are covered in paintings, the floor is made of dirt, and the roof is made like a barns. Scrambling around in his cabinets he finally finds what he is looking for, the message.
          I read the message:
          He who has red hair and blue eyes shall be the restorer of peace and harmony to your village. The man who possesses these traits shall be from a far away land and with no memory. The man who awakens in an unfamiliar location shall be frightened at first but prevail his challenges that lay ahead. This man who lands in your village shall be the restorer of peace and harmony.
          I say aloud, “Yeah I do possess those traits and that I was scared at first but, the message still doesn’t state what I am supposed to do with the beasts.”
          “Yes” Darius says “you do contain the two traits and you are right, you were scared at first, but only you have the knowledge to know what powers you have and don’t have.”
“But look at me, I’m me. I could barely stand up for myself when you all need me most. All I did was run away at first and then got lucky when one of your warriors killed the animal.”
“All I’m saying, Alex, is you have to want to know, not wish it,” says Darius.
          Once again a familiar darkness comes to my eyes and no sound hits my ears. I awaken groggily from my nap to the sound of my mom yelling that dinner is ready. I wonder what powers I could have possessed but I quickly forget because the growling of my stomach awaits to have dinner.