Facing Fear | Teen Ink

Facing Fear

By polinka4God BRONZE, Battle Ground, Washington
polinka4God BRONZE, Battle Ground, Washington

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

Prince Darik's throat was dry and it was hard for him to breathe. Fear. The only element that could have made this happen. He looked at the figure in black that was nearly five feet away from him, but it was hard to see through the foggy darkness. The figure stepped towards Darik but Darik stepped back until his shoulders hit the hard wall behind him. With no hope for survival Darik knew he would have to face his fear.

A few days earlier, the young prince stood in a wide field, facing the round target. Dressed in a tunic with designed sleeves and a leather belt, he formerly placed an arrow in the bow and aimed towards the worn out target. The prince released the arrow and it hit the target right in the middle. Bullseye!

The prince practiced his shooting every day at the field which was located behind the castle. Currently, his father was very sick and old of age. Everyone knew that soon time will come and the King will pass his crown to his son, Prince Darik.

Suddenly, the atilliator came running on the path that led from the castle. It was Robin, a small man with auburn hair and a trimmed mustache, who was a skilled castle worker who made crossbows and was in charge of Prince Darik's hunting equipment.
"Ah, Robin! You had come in time, I need you to retrieve my-"
"Your Royal Highness!" Robin panted, "You are called to come to castle immediately!"
"What is it?" Prince Darik turned his attention to the atilliator with concern.

"The King! He is not feeling well. His Majesty wishes to see the Prince," Robin replied with a bow.

"Right away," a wrinkled formed on Prince Darik's forehead. What he had feared had come; his father was at the edge of life and death.

In short time, Darik and Robin arrived at the bedchamber of the King. The smell of death had already enveloped the big room. With a heavy heart Darik approached his father’s side. The king opened his eyes and with a weak smile proudly looked at his son.

"My son, I will be leaving this world very soon. I want you to know that I love you very much and-" a raspy cough broke out from the Kings lips.
"Father, I think it’s better for you to rest. Now isn't the time to talk."
And with a heaving sigh the King fell back on the bed and closed his eyes.
That night the King passed away peacefully in his bed chamber.

Prince Darik grabbed the reins of his black stallion and led it out into the wilderness. Darik decided that he needed to get away from the palace. Away from people and go as far as the eye can see into the unknown. He wasn't ready to take the throne that his father had  left for him. Fear enveloped him. The more he thought about it the faster he went.

At dusk, Darik decided to rest in a cave he had found while traveling through the wilderness. After making a fire and eating the little amount of food he had brought with him, Darik decided he was going to take a rest when he heard a strange sound.

With a racing heart, Darik grabbed his sword that was strapped to the saddle.

“Who’s there?” Darik yelled into the darkness from where he heard the noise.

From his position Darik could see a dark shadow coming toward him. It was coming closer and closer. Then, looking to the side  he saw another figure coming towards him. It was the same figure but now there was two of them! Looking around Darik noticed there were at least ten of the same figures coming toward him!  When one of them stepped toward Darik and reached for him, he hit the figure on the head with his fist. Another one reached for Darik’s throat but Darik ducked away and struck him with his sword.

After fighting off all of the mysterious figures Darik wiped the sweat from his forehead and decided to take a look at who these mysteries were. Taking off the hood of one of the figures he struck, he came face to face with his own self. But there was something else to that face. Something strong and terrifying. Fear. It struck Prince Darik. He was fighting his own fear and he had won. The fear of becoming the king. With a determination he never knew he had, Prince Darik decided to go back and do what was right.