Deathbell | Teen Ink

Deathbell

October 4, 2014
By blue-moon SILVER, Palm Desert, California
blue-moon SILVER, Palm Desert, California
8 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If Life is art, Then what is Death?"


 The sound of piercing howls split the air. Four wolves ran through the forest, towards the howls.
“Lila go into the clearing on the right side, Shay, go on the left. Axel and I will go in the front. Whatever happens, please protect yourselves! These aren’t any normal wolves we are dealing with!” One of the wolves, the one leading the other three, barked quickly. The wolf on the right, Lila, nodded her gray and white head as she ran quickly to the left. Shay, a black wolf, ran to the left.
        “Luna are you sure this is a good plan?” Axel, a strange dark red-ginger coated wolf, mumbled.
Luna shook her head. “It isn’t the greatest plan, Axel, but it’s the only one I got. I’m sure we’ll be fine.”. Luna burst in speed as another howl broke the silence of the forest. Her white pelt seemed to fly by like a bolt of lightning, as she broke through the treeline into the clearing. Axel quickly followed, growling. Two pure black wolves stood in the middle of the clearing, howling. As they spotted Luna and Axel, their bright purple eyes gleamed. One of the wolves snarled, showing pointed white teeth. Axel stared at the wolves in pure shock, then glanced at Luna.
“W-what are they?!?” He said fear showing in his bright green eyes.
“They’re wolves axel. Dangerous ones, called Laban.”. Luna snarled at the two pure black wolves as she spoke, her light blue eyes seemed to burn like a fire.
         Shay burst out of the treeline on the left side and Lila burst out on the right. Each snarled in unison, waiting for Luna’s signal. Luna began circling the Laban, showing her dagger like teeth. Axel followed, slowly circling them counter-clockwise. Lila followed Axel, and Shay followed Luna. Then, out of no where, Axel ran forward, biting one of the Laban’s forelegs. The Laban yelped and snarled, trying to bite one of Axel’s ears. Axel dodged and bit the Laban’s throat, black blood splattering the ground. Luna leapt at the other Laban, pushing it to the ground.
       “Never come back here again.” She snarled biting into the Laban’s throat. The Laban yowled before becoming limp. Luna bit down deeper, making sure the Laban was dead. Black blood covered the ground and burned the inside of her mouth. She let go of the Laban’s throat and stepped back, turning into human form. She brushed her white hair out of her face before spitting out the black blood. Axel switched forms, running his fingers through his wavy red hair.
       “Axel, why did you attack before my signal?” Luna growled walking towards the younger boy.
       “He was distracted so I thought it would be the perfect time to attack…” He kicked some dirt at the dead Laban. “At least I killed it, right?” He chuckled, then glanced at Luna, seeing her still scowling. He gulped “I-I Just-”
       “Stop.” Luna interrupted. “I did say to protect yourselves, and you did. Good job.” She sighed. Axel smiled and looked down at his brown Van’s. “Let’s head back.” Luna announced, switching back into wolf form before running into the forest. Axel switched forms and followed, Shay and Lila ran behind him.

***

      Luna shut her car door, Lila doing the same. Lila pushed her long black hair off of her shoulder, and blinked her hazel eyes at Luna. Luna sighed and made her way towards the school doors, not saying a word to Lila.
“Luna,” Lila began, sighing “Why are you so angry? Axel didn't know to wait for your signal, it was his first time killing Laban.” Luna growled looking at Lila. “I can’t believe that you are still mad at him.”
       “I’m not mad at him Lila.”
       Lila stopped. “You’re not?”. Luna looked at Lila smiling.
       “No I’m not.” She smirked, walking up the steps towards the two large doors of their high school. Lila cocked her head, then slowly followed confused. Luna walked through the hallway, towards her first class. Lila wandered off towards her first class, waving goodbye. Luna waved and opened her Humanities class door. She walked inside and looked at her teacher, then at the other kids that were already there. Stop Staring she growled, as she walked towards her desk, and sat down next to another person from her pack. Justin.
       “Hi Luna.” Justin said smiling at the Alpha.
       “Hello, Justin.” Luna said, a blank expression on her face as she returned the greeting to the Omega. Justin looked down at his desk and mumbled something to himself before working on the homework that was due today. Luna pulled out her binder from her bag, then got out the homework. She sighed as she scribbled her name on the paper before passing it forward. Justin rapidly scribbled on his paper, trying to finish his homework. Luna growled and snatched Justin’s homework and passed it forward.
       “Hey- Wait I’m not done!” he growled at the human who Luna passed his homework to. His grey eyes burned with hate and anger, and he looked at Luna and snarled. “Thanks a lot.” he mumbled, as he snapped his pencil in half. He needs anger management. Besides, he was supposed to be finished with his homework last night. Dumb Omega.

       The lunch bell rang and Luna got up from her seat in Math class. Of course, almost all of her classes had been boring. She walked out of Math and strode down the hallway, her long blond-white hair flowing behind her. She opened her locker and put away her binders, growling as she grabbed her lunch.
       “Hey, Princess.” A familiar voice broke the silence of the hallway. Luna quickly turned around, blinking at the handsome dark-brown haired boy. He smiled, his snakebite piercings shining from the lights.
       “Shay.” Luna mumbled staring into his dark blue eyes. He smiled again. Luna closed her locker and walked quickly away. Stop it Luna. He isn’t an Alpha. He isn’t an Alpha.
       “Hey Luna wait up!” Shay ran quickly over to Luna. “Come on, just cause I’m an Subordinate doesn’t mean you can’t talk to me!”.
       Luna turned and looked at him. “Shay.” She began, then sighed. “Never mind. Just come on. The rest of the pack are waiting.”. Luna quickly strode towards the cafeteria, Shay at her heels. She pushed open the double doors, not holding the doors for Shay. She walked over to her Pack’s lunch table, and sat at the end of the table.
      “Luna!” Axel exclaimed smiling at Luna. “We’ve missed you.” He joked smiling. Luna glanced at her other pack mates as Shay sat down. Lila smiled at her, so did Axel, Justin stared down at the table, eating his sandwich and Korin, her little sister, was reading a book. Luna cocked her head.
       “Where’s Helena, and Hayden?” Luna said, and a few confused glances went around the table. Justin looked up at the sound of Hayden’s name, and then quickly looked back down awkwardly. Hayden and Helena were both Beta’s, the one’s who help with decision making of the pack. Justin was best friend’s with Hayden, even though they were very far apart in rank.
       “I think Castiel isn’t here either.” Korin said, her light green eyes sparkling. Luna’s breath caught in her throat as she heard Castiel’s name. The other Alpha. How could I forget about him? Luna thought, her mind whirling. Almost instantly she heard the soft yet rough voice of Castiel.
       “I’m here.” He mumbled sitting next to Luna. Luna squirmed away from him towards Axel, who awkwardly smiled at Castiel. Luna sighed.
       “Alright. I’ve got some news.” She mumbled, ignoring the fact that Hayden and Helena weren’t there to hear the news. “More Labans have been showing up in the Dark Forest… I believe that the Deathbell are trying to take over the forest.” The slam of a fist on the table spooked Luna, and Castiel snarled.
       “The Deathbell are not our problem! It’s the rival packs we need to worry about! Laban are easy to kill!” Castiel rose his voice to a yell, though it was quiet enough to only be heard by the packmates. Luna growled at the interruption, and returned to what she was saying.
       “As I was saying, the Deathbell are a threat to us. What would Sol and Terra think of us if we lost the forest to the Deathbell?” Luna growled, before sighing. “The Laban may be easy to kill, but that doesn’t mean that we will not face any other creatures in that forest. For all we know they might send a Shadow. And we know that Shadow’s are very dangerous.” Luna slammed her hands on the table, and snarled. “This is not some child’s play! We must do something about it!” She snarled, and Castiel growled. The other packmates growled in approval.
       “We don’t have to risk our lives for some dumb forest, Luna.”
       Luna turned and stared at Castiel, who sat with his arms crossed. Luna stared at him, anger flaring deep in her stomach. “Excuse me?” She replied, her eyes narrowing. “This is our territory I am talking about. You just want to give it up after all we’ve done to get it?” Her voice broke as she spoke. “If you think we should give it up, then you’re more than a traitor. You must be a Deathbell if you think that.”. Castiel got up from the table, and kicked it, his blue eyes full of anger.
       “If you think that then I’ll just leave.” He shouted, walking away from the table. Luna quickly looked down and heard the doors to the cafeteria slam. Luna sighed and picked at her lunch, her appetite gone. Before she knew it the bell rang and she had to go to her next class.

       Luna shoved her books into her locker before leaving. She left the school and walked along the sidewalk towards her car. She didn’t care if Castiel left. It was her decision what the pack does. Not his. She waited next to her car for Lila, who she had to drive home.
       “Hey Luna!” Lila’s sweet sounding voice came from beside Luna. Luna sighed and turned to face the younger girl. “I’m ready to go!” She giggled a smile on her face.
       “Why are you so happy?” Luna joked walking over to the drivers side, before getting in the car. Lila giggled, her black hair covering her face as she got in the car. “I just am!” She smiled, as she put on her seatbelt. “Who are you and what have you done with Lila?” Luna questioned, trying to act serious.
       “Ok, Ok Luna I’ll tell you…” Lila whispered, waiting for Luna to start the car. Luna turned the key, and music blasted from the radio. Before she could turn it down, Lila whispered something that she could only make out as “Shay….and…..”. Luna quickly turned down the radion and barked “What? I couldn’t hear you”.
       “That’s too bad.” Lila giggled before turning the music up again. Luna sighed, before giggling as she heard Lila begin to sing. SHe then turned the car around, and drove to Lila’s house.

**The Next Day**

      Luna awoke to her alarm clock beeping. She turned it off and walked into the kitchen, seeing Axel and Helena waiting for her. Helena sighed and walked over to Luna, her blue hair covering her right eye. “Luna. Go get ready. We’re going on patrol of the forest, remember?” Helena whined, her strange yellow eyes glowing. Luna quickly ran down the hallway and got dressed into a pair of jeans and a white shirt. She walked back into the kitchen, and pointed to the front door. “Lets go.”

       The cold morning air blew through the three wolves fur. They ran through the cold and dim forest, frost biting at their paws. “This way!” Luna howled turning sharply to the right. The three wolves were trying to catch a deer, after their patrol. Axel moved swiftly towards the deer from the side, biting its hamstring. The deer faltered as blood splattered the ground and collapsed. Helena bit its throat as it fell, killing the deer with a sharp bite, her golden and white fur sparkling with frost. “Helena!” Luna screamed as the large deer fell on top of the Beta. Luna heard Helena whimper and yowl, as she was slowly being crushed. Axel grabbed the deer’s leg with his teeth, sharply pulling it to the side. Luna helped him, and slowly they pulled the dead deer off of Helena. Helena gasped and yowled again in pain as she turned from human to wolf several times. “Calm down Helena. You’re going to be fine.” Luna switched into human form as she spoke, and calmly picked up Helena. The thin girl turned human and stayed in that form as she passed out, blood dripping out of a cut on her cheek. Axel whimpered and turned into human form, walking up to Luna.
       “I hope she’ll be ok” He whined as he looked at Helena.
“She’ll be fine, Axel.” I hope

       Luna sat at the Lunch table, her mind whirling. Helena had to go to the hospital, and was suffering from a few broken ribs. How could some dumb deer do that to the best hunter in the pack? Luna had no clue, but she kept thinking up theories, hoping that none of them were correct. Maybe the Deer was a Oakling… no.. oaklings are usually the leaders of the group.. and Deathbell’s usually don’t spawn them.. She sighed at the thought of the Deathbell’s being responsible for this. Her train of thought was broke as someone sat next to her and wrapped their arms around her in a hug.
       “I’m sure Helena will be fine.” Axel murmured, his green eyes full of grief. Luna gasped at the embrace from the younger boy and hugged him back hesitantly. She then pulled away from him and he slid away to the left. “Sorry..” He muttered staring down at his bagged lunch. Luna sighed and looked over at Castiel who stared angrily at Axel. Hayden, who had just been ditching school yesterday, murmured something to Justin while quickly glancing at Castiel and then at Axel. Lila sat next to Shay, a bright smile on her face. Luna glanced around then acknowledged the fact that the pack was quite small. She was the oldest of the pack, she was made Alpha. She was also born into the role of being the Moon packs leader, as her name in latin means moon. She sighed and looked at the other lunch tables, seeing the Sun and Earth packs. She whined as she thought I wonder what would happen if the packs joined together to stop the Deathbell..