No Place Is Safe | Teen Ink

No Place Is Safe

August 6, 2014
By CountryGurl2680 SILVER, Auburndale, Florida
CountryGurl2680 SILVER, Auburndale, Florida
5 articles 3 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
" I may not NEED you but i WANT you really badly "


“Dixie!!!”My mother screams as she opens the dirty garage door so she could drive me to school. “It looks like you're not going to school today.”

As I walked outside I see all my neighbors which live two miles away, charging at my house as if they were a mob of insane and crazy people. But there was something wrong with them; they looked bloody, angry, and dirty. As I ran to my mother, my father came running out of the house with terror on his face just screaming that there had been a takeover due to a chemical explosion and to get inside. As we got inside he locks the front door of our two story farm house.


Once we got inside, I’m still immensely confused. While everyone is talking I run upstairs to get my boots on. Then I hear my parents screaming as if they were in pain. Running downstairs I see that the people from outside made their way in. They were attacking my parents by biting them and dare I say it... they were eating them like a pair of wild animals.


Looking over to my mom she screams out “Run Dixie they'll get you, go get your fathers hunting rifle and find your brother!!”


I scurry upstairs to my parents’ bedroom looking for the key to my fathers locked gun safe. Opening the safe I see his ammo and guns. Still hearing my parents screams I run down. I must of taken to long because I was too late both my parents were drenched in blood lying on the floor motionless. The mob had seen me and they started running towards me. While in shock and standing in the middle of the wooden staircase. I started aiming and firing at those running to me. Looking down I see my father flinching as if he was having a seizure running down the stairs to see what was wrong my father jumps at me and tries to attack me like those crazy raged neighbors did. He gave me no choice but to take care of him like I did to the others. Thank goodness I didn't have to do it to my mother to because the mob dislocated her head from her body.


I have no idea what to do. Wait a minute my mom had said something. Oh no my brother! I have to find him. Not knowing where I put my cell phone I ran upstairs again to the narrow but long hallway between my bedroom and the guest bathroom which was on the immediate right of the top of the staircase and my brothers room which was right next to mine. Grabbed the really dusty wall phone and dialed his number.


I had gotten 3 rings before he picked up. “Hey Drake you wouldn't believe what happened?!?” I stuttered as he cut me off “I know Dixie; I know there are zombies everywhere.” “Where are you? Are you safe? Is mom and dad ok? Have you been bit? What it your status right now?” before I could answer anything he just kept asking all these questions. So I started to tell him everything. “I’m not ok, mom and dad are dead because they were attacked right in front of me I had to open fire at the neighbors but I was too late for them and ended up having to open fire on them too!” at this point I’m crying so hard I can't even see the dust covered numbers on the wall phone. “ Wow okay Dixie don’t worry I’m going to find you but you have to stay inside and away from everyone, collect all the firepower you can, anything that you would need for survival and food, go to my old room and lock the door and window.” He orders me as I try to wipe the tears from my eyes. “Dixie you have to be strong, I’m sorry that you had to do what you've done but there isn't anything you can do now, I WILL find you and protect you but you have to fight ok can you do that cowgirl? Can you do this for me?” Drake always called me cowgirl it was his nickname for me and I like it a lot better than being called little sister. After he got done rambling about if I can stay strong I blew up and yelled “When are you coming home to get me, I'm terrified and don't have much as protection, there is blood everywhere from the attack on our parents” “I'm scared to do anything” “the farmhouse is getting packed with those outraged people, and I can't get anything” I screamed. “Oh no!!”


“Drake!! There coming up the stairs what do I do, they are going to get me Drake please hurry come get me please!” I hollered into the phone as I watch the sluggish zombie creeps stumble up the stairs while stretching the wall phone's cord. “Holy crap, ok calm down stay calm they sense everything and will start running faster. Do you have your phone? If not don't worry go to my old room like I said before and lock the door and windows, forget about escaping and finding fire power and food. In my closet I kept a collection of weaponry such as pocket knives that mom and dad never knew about and if the creepers break in get them in the head, nowhere else but the head it will kill them instantly” he ordered once more.

“Stay away from the door and window, block the window with my old tall to the wall book shelf and pill everything else in front of the door. Then go in the closet and stay there.” “I love you cowgirl and I promise you that I will get you.” he stuttered. I think someone was attacking him because the sound of the phone was shaky. “If more than two days pass find any way possible to get food”


As I hung up the phone I run to the left side of the staircase before the creepers came up and ran to my parents’ room. On my dad's bedside was a bottle of brisk sweet tea thank goodness it was full. And then I checked my mom’s bedside for a drink or snack from the night before and there was nothing. After scavenging through the room for supplies I ran back in the hallway. But I was too late. The creepers had made it up. I had to think. What was there to do instead of shooting and wasting ammo?


I had to shoot. So while running to a door that was about 25 feet away I just started shooting at the creepers. It worked! I got to my brothers room and locked the three locks that were there.


Never did I understand why Drake had three locks on his door. He always kept the world locked out. Never let my parents or even I understand his ways. In his room there was his twin sized bed, an old wooden writing desk, his wall tall book shelf, and one single window. So like drake ordered me to do I put the wall tall book shelf in front of the window which took a long while.


All of a sudden all I heard was a horrible moan. Coming from everywhere. I walked over to the window and look out the tiny crack between the wall tall book shelf and the window.

The creepers were everywhere! After that I started hearing them outside my door. Then I ran to the window once more and just watched them hit the wall and climb over each other trying to get in.


“In my closet I kept a collection of weaponry such as pocket knives that mom and dad never knew about” I remembered my brother saying something about weapons. I go to the walk in closet and search for a box or bag and it was empty. Nothing was there. All I saw was a bunch of dust bunnies. Which means I have no way of protection besides my father’s hunting rifle and I don’t even know how many rounds are left in it?


I'm just going to go in the closet and shut the door. Not knowing when the creepers will intrude into the room is the worst feeling ever.


Just about 8 hours or so later, I heard a loud bang outside. Running over to the window I see a huddle of people running towards the house and they were not creepers! I hope it’s my brother coming to get me outa here.


It is!! It is my brother. So I started jumping up and down shouting with joy. Then the creepers at the bedroom door started to hit the door and get in the room. I guess the jumping startled them? I have no clue but I do know that while they were breaking in my brother was still outside trying to get in as well.


Running over to the window again I shouted out that the creepers are intruding into the room any seconded now. Watching my brother scurry around I try to move the wall tall book shelf away from the door and maybe I could jump down from the two story window to the freshly cut green grass.


With a possibility of getting hurt, which I could care less about. My brother yelled up at the window telling me just to jump already. Finally getting the courage to jump from the window I did so. I didn’t land it well at all I fell on my butt and it did not feel so good it felt like I broke a bone. Once I got the strength to get up and get on the move many more creepers came running after me. I turned around and started to running to Drake. The creepers came after us so we turned around and started running into the woods where we were finally able to reach my brothers underground safe house. When my brother and his surviving friends opened the door they made. I saw two shotguns they were already loaded and there was a pile of about 20 rounds sitting next to the weapons. Everyone started shooting because more creepers broke into the safe house.

After they shot and killed about 10 creepers. It left us with only about 15 rounds left. We started to get worried until Drake found a whole box full of ammo that he hid for a rainy day, well I guess today it’s a rainy day but instead of water its creeper blood. We fully loaded all the guns there was available. Still we only had about 62 rounds. When we thought it was safe, my brother said to consider taking a nap when 7 more creepers invaded us so we shot and killed every creep that came in sight. By the end of the night we were left with one gun and 3 rounds left. We were finally able to secure our location after we put bombs all over the city area that we were in.

We locked ourselves in the gun safe and pulled the trigger to the bomb and next thing I know is that I’m waking up 4 days later and we were the only ones still alive. Just me and my brother in the middle of nowhere. But wait? It’s not the city and where did all the people go?
As I shake my brother to wake him up I’m freaking out. There is no ammo what so ever to be seen and I don't hear any creepers. It’s like we are in a whole other world. There are humans that are happy and cheery walking around. My brother wakes up wondering why I’m bugging him. He tells me to go back to taking a nap. So was all this just a dream?


The author's comments:
This was a school project i had to do and thought it would be neat to share it,hope you enjoy.