The Unexpected Journey | Teen Ink

The Unexpected Journey

It was a rainy evening and I was walking in the dark alone. I was almost fifteen and lived in Alabama but I was very far away from my house. I was in a neighborhood that was known for kidnappers. I am terrified of kidnappers. My breath bounced off the walls and then back to me. Nothing was around. Except for one thing; my fear.

Why was I alone in a dark alley at night, you ask? It was because of my dog. He had ran away. While I was looking, I was stapling signs to everything I could. This was what it read: Lost Dog! Black lab with brown spots. Contact us at 5543231. Then there was a huge picture of my precious dog. He was fairly cute, with a huge brown spot on the side of his face. He is the kind of dog who is loyal and likes to play fetch, not the type to run away. When I found out that he left, I could not believe it!

Days past, but still nothing. People started ripping the posters off the walls. No one had the desire to look, except for me. I was determined to find my dog no matter where the adventure took me. I was even willing to come face to face with danger. All I wanted was my dog back. So off I went, through woods and across bridges. I went into caves and even climbed trees to try and spot him. I asked almost everyone I passed, but it wasn’t very many people because I was in the middle of nowhere.

I checked in one last street corner, then started to give up. I had been looking for hours. I didn’t like the fact that I would never see my dog again, but there was nothing else I could do. I decided to get some food in a small barbeque restaurant. As I walked in, there was only one woman eating some ribs. I asked one last time if she had seen my dog. All the sudden, she put down her napkin and stood up. She approached me with a stern look on her face covered with sauce and said,”I might be able to help you find your dog.” I knew that it was terribly wrong, but I went with her. I would do anything it took to get my dog back.

After what seemed like an hour, we approached a white trailer. It was right in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by woods. As we approached, looking out the window was my dog! I started running up to the trailer. “ Hold on, wait for me!” said the woman. She continued, “I have to get something out of the trunk.” I stood there as it started to drizzle. I didn‘t care about anything other than holding my dog in my arms. The woman slowly came back and then something strange happened. The last thing I saw was my dog whining in the window. Then all I could see was pure darkness. Had I fainted? I didn’t remember anything else that night.

When I woke up birds were chirping and the sun was shining, and I noticed something strange. There were ten other dogs around me. I was scared to death now and I could feel my heart beating faster than ever. I had found my dog but also the town dog kidnapper. Soon I heard a car door slam. It was the strange woman. Within a few seconds, she was right in front of me and she had another dog. She said, “You saw your dog now get lost kid.” Then I replied, “Not without my dog.” She walked away and came back a few minutes later with my dog in her hands. I was screaming with joy in my head that he was alive! But then the woman locked him in a cage and put the key on a shelf that I could not reach. Then she left again and slammed the door on the way out. I jumped and jumped, but I could not reach the key. I threw my shoe, but that only made me shoeless on one foot. I finally had a great idea. I would hop on the cage, jump over to the sofa, and fling myself off the mini trampoline she had in her living room. I tried it and it didn’t work. But tried again and again until I finally grabbed the key. I unlocked the cage and ran out the door, hugging my dog. I also forgot to close the door and as I looked back, all the other dogs were running out. That was the first day I really felt thankful. As we passed multiple forests and highways, I started to think of how my life was before this. I never had to work for anything, everything was given to me. Now my life is going to be a lot different. I finally recognized the sign that said, Welcome To Greenville and I knew I was home.