Schmidt the Raccoon | Teen Ink

Schmidt the Raccoon

By Will Friedrich BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Will Friedrich BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

One time, in a far away place, there was a raccoon. He was no ordinary raccoon, he was an albino raccoon. His name was Schmidt. He lived in the magical forest. Everything that lived in the magical forest was magical in some way. Schmidt was magical because he was the worlds most awesome bandit. These are the stories of Schmidt, the bandit raccoon.

Yawning, Schmidt awoke in a burrow on the east side of the forest. This was no ordinary burrow. This was his lair and stache. This was his home base and house. The burrow was small, but only because of the things inside. Taking a look around, you could see toys, trash, food, and tools. In the open area of his lair, he only had his bed, which was only a tupperware container with some cloth inside. He crawled out of the bed and out of his burrow. His burrow was under a large magic tree. The magic trees shed glitter instead of leaves, so he was always camouflaged from the world. Schmidt started wandering through the forest, trying to wake up. The cool morning breeze swept through the leaves, sending a rush of chill down his spine. He was alert.
Schmidt then hustled and ran to a new area of the woods. Climbing up a tree, he started scoping out the land for anything to take. Out of the corner of his vision, he noticed a dumpster. Those were like gold mines. He scurried along the ground like a racecar. He approached it and hopped inside. He started digging, and immediately found great treasures. He found a copy of “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”, a green blanket, a picnic basket with fresh food in it, and three bandanas. He wrapped one bandana around his head, and folded the book, food, and blanket into another. He grabbed it all and ran back to his burrow. He emptied the bandana onto the pile, threw the picnic basket onto the pile, grabbed a magic stick, and left. He now ran back to the dumpster. He had two bandanas and a stick. Once again, the dumpster was a gold mine. This time, it was literal. He found a small gold ring, a knife, a whistle, and a small metal box.
Schmidt was going to wrap everything into his bandana and make a bindle, but the box puzzled him. The box had a rusted latch and was closed shut. It wouldn’t budge. He badly wanted to know what was inside. He banged and smashed it against the dumpster. He tried wedging a rock into it. No luck. In frustration, he threw it against the dumpster wall. Suddenly, it started shaking. Oh no. Schmidt knew this was bad. He grabbed his new belongings and wrapped them up. The box was still shaking. He tried to run. Suddenly, the box opened violently and an eagle appeared. Running was no use. The eagle flew above Schmidt. It dropped down and snatched him up. It soared back to the box and dived towards it. The eagle shoved Schmidt, along with his belongings, back into the box. It then soared in as well, with the box closing behind it.
Inside the box was a whole new world. It was much larger than it seemed to be. They both fell down, down, down into the black abyss. Schmidt landed with a thump, but no pain. The eagle soared and landed perfectly onto the ground. The only light was coming from a distant door. The Eagle spoke. “Schmidt!” he said in a commanding voice,”You have been summoned out of your world. I will take you to a new one. You must complete our mission. Good luck.” At this, the eagle snatched up Schmidt, opened the door, and threw him through it. In an instant, Schmidt was flying through the air. He was flying very high, above the clouds. He passed through the clouds and saw a large city with humongous buildings everywhere. He was directly above the largest building of them all. It was all black glass, with two white spears pointing off the top. He was about to land on it. Somehow, he was still holding on to his bindle He used it to cushion his fall. Amazingly, it fully cushioned him, and nothing broke.
Now he was in a predicament. How was he to get down? He was on top of this gigantic thing, unable to get down. So, Schmidt started looking for a ledge or balcony to get down from. Amazingly, on one side, there were two glass boxes. There were also some strange creatures inside. They looked like hairless, skinny, big headed bears that stood on two legs. They had odd cloths wrapped around them. So, Schmidt jumped onto the glass. Immediately, the creatures inside freaked out. He ignored them because they were not able to get to him. He opened his pack and thought about what to use to get down the rest of the way. He did have an extra bandana. Alas, Schmidt realized he could glide down with the bandana on his body, like the squirrels do. He laid out the bandana, repacked his bindle, and put it between his teeth. Then he grabbed a corner of the bandana in each claw, and jumped. It worked! He was gliding on the wind, soaring through the sky. He saw more creatures down below. Schmidt realized that this place was infested with them. Then, on his way down, he saw a bird. “At least there are other animals,” Schmidt thought to himself. He finished gliding and landed on a grass field.

Suddenly, he blacked out. In a matter of seconds, he was dreaming. In his dream, he was inside the hole with the eagle. The eagle started talking. “Schmidt, you are probably very confused as to where you are. You are in an alternate dimension. In this dimension, there are people, humans. Those are the hairless things with clothes. There are no magical beings in this dimension. The humans have eradicated magic. Your mission is to get all the raccoons in this area out and back into your dimension, where they will be safe. Other species are being taken to this realm to save their kind. You have 24 hours to find as many raccoons as you can. Goodbye.” And with that, the eagle flew away, and Schmidt woke up. It was sunrise, and he was still lying in that field. He ran to the nearest open alley. He did some checking around, and sure enough, behind a box were three raccoon children. Thier momma was gone. He asked them, “Where’s your momma?” They responded, “Getting food.” So, Schmidt waited for their momma. While he was waiting, he explained to the three young coons his mission. By the time their mom was back, he had socialized and committed the children to his plan. They were gung ho. Their mother was also easily persuaded. Her name was Judie. The kids were named Jack, Billy, and Reginald. To motivate the kids, Schmidt ripped a bandana into three strips, and they wore them wrapped around their heads. “ Do any of you know where any other raccoons are?” he asked them. Judie answered, “No, we have not ever seen others. This city is humongous, it feels like we are alone sometimes.” “Well, where I come from everyone is safe, there are no humans, and we are magic,” Schmidt said. “We shall sleep here and in the morning at sunrise, we will go.” So, the animals slept on a pile of trash.

The morning came early. Schmidt woke up just in time. The sun was soon to come over the horizon. “Everyone, get up!” Schmidt said as he jostled them out of sleep. They were ready! The group hurried to the street. Yesterday night, there had been no cars. Now, they were zooming past fairly often. They decided to run for it. Dodging a sedan, they made across to the other side. They were on the field that Schmidt landed on. The sun came out, and immediately, the box that Schmidt came in was there. They ran towards it, and as soon as they got within 10 yards, it opened and sucked them in. They fell into the abyss, and this time directly through the open door. In a flash of light, they were outside of Schmidt’s burrow.

Judie and the kids were panting and looking around. Eventually, they calmed down. “How can we repay you?” asked Judie. “You don’t need to. I am just glad that I was able to experience that,” Schmidt replied. Then, the family walked away, and they would visit every once in a while. They got their magic as time went on. Schmidt lived happily ever after. The end.