Escape | Teen Ink

Escape

By nerdyreader2 BRONZE, Rochester, Minnesota
nerdyreader2 BRONZE, Rochester, Minnesota

"It's over now the music of the night!" -Phantom of the Opera

I stared up at the ceiling while lying down on my back. The ceiling had a pattern made of black dots and white squares, making it look like someone had taken a pencil and stabbed it- honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. An ugly shade of brown paint was splattered on the left corner of the ceiling, matching the color of the walls. The ceiling was divided into squares by a plastic white line that was about as narrow as my pointer and middle fingers.

I was currently trapped in this hell-hole and was trying to figure out a plan of escape. They had brought me here a month ago. I had not been allowed to get a room until now because I was considered “dangerous”. At least according to them, I was “dangerous” because I rebelled and knew too much. So they took me, or whoever they are. No one knows their real identities because they keep their main figures disguised and sent messages through other people.

I quickly jumped on top of my “new” bed, an idea forming in my mind and pressed my hands against one of the squares. I figured that my slim and small figure would be able to fit through if I was able to remove a square. I pushed up against the square but it would not budge. I tested the other squares that I was able to reach but none of the others would move either.

I sighed and flopped back down onto the stiff bed, taking in my surroundings. The window, or what I assumed was a window, was only 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall, was not an option because it was way too small and was too high up on the far wall. There was no way that I could attempt breaking the ceiling because everything was bolted to the ground or to the desk.
There was a closet next to the desk that seemed to be connected to the wall. I rolled off of the bed and swung the metal closet door open. Inside were hangers that were unable to be removed from the metal bar that was attached to the sides of the closet. Gray t-shirts and matching sweatpants hung from the hangers. On the floor were gray flip-flops that were coated in dust.

I tugged on a hanger to see if it would bend, but the metal was too dense. I grumbled in frustration and kicked the side of the closet. It groaned, shaking the entire wall.

I heard the door swing open and a soldier came in. The soldier had dark black hair that was pulled back into a neat bun. She looked a little bit older than me but the way she held herself made me think that she was way older. Her dark brown eyes narrowed on me and then to my open closet that had thankfully stopped shaking. I also noticed that she wore a black t-shirt and green cargo pants instead of the gray uniform. On her t-shirt, she had a name tag that read MARGO.

“Where is your name card and why are you not wearing your uniform, soldier?” Margo demanded.

I stood up straighter and tried to not roll my eyes. “My name is Kris and I am not a dog. I refuse to wear a name tag. Also, I was about to change into the uniform but you barged in here before I could.”

I gestured to the open closet and the clothes that I was currently in. I wore jeans and a black t-shirt. They had confiscated my combat boots earlier because of the knife in the sole of my left boot and the shoelaces.

Margo marched up to me saying, “Not many people will put up with your attitude soldier. You better watch your mouth, Kris. You are already on prohibition for hiding a knife in your boot for a month.”

I glared at her and I held myself back from curtsying and saying, “Yes your highness.”

Margo leaned in towards me and whispered, “By the way, getting out through the closet won’t work.” And with that, she left, slamming the door.

I sighed once I heard the bell and quickly got changed into my uniform. I headed out of the room tapping the walls, ever so slightly as I made my way towards the dining hall. I was trying to feel the vibrations of the wall to see if there were any weak spots.

I entered the dining hall and was soon blinded by bright lights. I blinked my eyes a couple of times before taking in my surroundings. I noticed that everyone was either wearing gray, dark green, or black. Cafeteria style tables were set up and, of course, bolted to the ground. There was a stand of food but everything seemed to be molding or close to it.

I grabbed an apple off of the stand and started making my way to a table. I was about to turn left when I felt a cold hand on my shoulder, steering me right. I turned around to see Margo and she held a straight face. She sat us down at a table with three other people, two guys and one girl. The two guys seemed to be twins because of their blond hair, green eyes, and similar facial features. The girl had red hair that was pulled back into a bun and had brown eyes.

“Crew, this is Kris, the girl I was talking about earlier. Kris, this is the crew. That is James, Erik, and Amy.” Margo said.

Erik looked at me and grinned, “So, you’re the girl that pissed off Margo and hid a knife in her boot. Bravo.”

Margo rolled her eyes, “Shut up, Erik… I just wanted to let everyone know that they will be doing a checkup on everyone’s closet tonight. I also noticed that dust has started to collect at the top of your closets. Please clean that up. We want it to be spotless.”

The crew all wore mischievous smiles and shook their heads before leaving. Margo stood up and looked at me strange before taking off. I frowned and quickly left for my room.

I shut the door as soon as I got in a headed over to my closet. When I stood on the inside to reach the top, I felt a piece of paper in the palm of my hand. I gripped onto it and climbed back onto the floor.

The note read:

8:30, Room 706. Don’t be late.

-M

The piece of paper was small enough and I swallowed it, leaving behind no evidence that it was there earlier. I headed out of my room and looked at the clock at the end of the hall. It was only 8:00. Curfew was at 8:15 and I had to get to room 706 at 8:30.

I headed back to my room and started getting to work. I hid the extra clothes from my closet underneath the bed sheets, creating a human body shape. I took off my flip-flops and stored them under the bed, not wanting to walk down the halls with their loud noise.

I walked out of my room, leaving the door open as it was mandatory to have the door open during the night. I started walking down towards room 706 and noticed that it was in the captains’ wing. I passed other soldiers and nodded my head in respect, not wanting to seem suspicious.
I was halfway to the room when the lights went out. I cursed under my breath and kept moving. I felt a hand grab my arm. I turned to see a figure, of whom I assumed was a security guard.
“Soldier, where do you think you are going past curfew?” A gruff voice asked.
“I have a message to bring to Captain Margo, sir.” I replied smoothly.
He nodded, “You are dismissed.”
I saluted him before continuing to room 706. I finally made it to the room and quickly entered. I saw that the crew and Margo were all there sitting in a circle. Margo stood up and smirked, “Almost thought you weren’t coming. It’s 8:29.”
“Sorry, but I had to dust the top of my closet.” I replied, smirking. James snorted and Amy shoved her hand over his mouth.
“SHHH! Do you want them to hear you?!” She whispered angrily. He shrugged and removed her hand from his mouth.
“I brought some the stuff. Erik, were you able to get yours?” Margo said while opening a bag, revealing shoelaces, a box of matches, rope, and safety scissors. Erik nodded and his bag revealed a blanket, candles, dried fruit, and water.
“How did you get those? They would not give something up so easily.” I whispered.

Margo grinned before standing on the bed, holding the safety scissors. She kept jabbing it into the ceiling until it finally went through. She kept cutting the ceiling until she was able to remove the square. Margo tossed the square aside and climbed down the bed.

"Alright, The order will be Erik, Kris, Amy, James, and lastly me. Let's go!" Margo said.

Erik quickly went into the ceiling, carrying his bag. Once his feet left the bed, I climbed on top of it. I tried to pull myself through the ceiling but my arms were too short to get a good grip. I almost fell but hands grabbed mine and pulled me through. I now sat in the air vents and had to be careful to not hit my head against the top.

I looked up to see Erik and nodded, "Thank you."

He shrugged and helped the others up. Once everyone was up here, Margo placed the square back and sealed it using the candle wax and matches. I watched in fascination as the flame licked the candle wax that dribbled onto the ceiling.

"Okay, everybody follow Erik. We should be able to make our exit at the next left." Margo whispered.

I followed Erik in an army-crawl fashion. It had been about five minutes and there was no sign of a left turn. My arms and legs started to ache and it did not help that the vents were blasting ice cold air. I was about to ask how much longer but Erik quickly turned and disappeared. I looked to my left and noticed that the air vent went straight down and I was unable to see the bottom.

"What's taking so long, Kris? Are you scared of heights?" Margo asked.

I positioned myself to drop and replied sarcastically, "I am not afraid of heights but instead I have a fear of widths."

I heard a few snickers from behind me and grinned. I looked down once more and jumped. Air whipped through my ears as I fell, making my hair fly all over the place. My feet connected to hard metal before collapsing beneath me. I hissed in pain and rolled to the side, which was not a good idea. The floor tilted to the side and I rolled down the vents until I fell into something wet and cold.

I heard Erik laugh next to me. "You sure know how to make an exit, Kris."

I winked at him before getting up. I gasped at the setting before me. We were on the side of a mountain that shot into the sky, so high that it disappeared into the clouds. Snow covered the ground and crunched beneath my bare feet.

I turned around to see this giant brick facility that reminded me of a rundown boarding school. I noticed an open square in the side of the building and saw the rest of the crew tumble out from it.

I walked over to Margo, who was brushing herself off. "Why did you let me escape with you?" I asked.

She looked up at me and I saw a smile on her face, the first time I ever saw her smile. "You reminded me of myself when I first got here. I just didn't want you to go through what I had to. Also, I like your attitude."

"Um... Thanks, I guess," I replied, still slightly confused.

Amy ran up to us and dropped a pair of shoes at my feet. I recognized them as my old pair of black combat boots. I grinned and put them on. Amy smiled, "I deal with the clothes that they get rid of. Figured these were yours.... We should probably get going; I don't want to get captured again."

We nodded and headed off with Margo and the boys. It was strange that I hardly knew these people and yet I felt safe with them. I looked off into the distance and prepared to face my new adventure. I breathed in the cold air and smiled, something that had not happened in a long time.

I began writing this short story in English class. I was supposed to write about something that I saw in the classroom and I started writing about the ceiling. I then felt that I wanted to elaborate the story and what was once a small English assignment was now a short story.

Switterbee said...
on May. 31 2014 at 9:35 am
Excellent storyline! Love the descriptive flow of Escape. Definitely wanted to keep reading -- please post more nerdyreader2! 5 stars all the way for Escape! 

lolalipa said...
I could have kept on going.  Glued to the pages.  Where are the next chapters?  Write more. Well done.  Looking forward to more.