Just a Hike | Teen Ink

Just a Hike

By Ashlie.Fox.Munson GOLD, Snohomish, Washington
Ashlie.Fox.Munson GOLD, Snohomish, Washington

"Why are you trying so hard to fit in? When you were born to stand out." - Ian Wallace

As the sun beats down on the Water Lilly's petals I sneak a glance at Matthew. He has propped himself up on his elbows, and his head is tilted back so he can soak up the sun. His legs are stretched out and crossed at the ankles. His eyes at closed and I catches me off guard when he asks,"Are you staring at my devilishly good looking face, or are you day dreaming Valentine?"

"Well wouldn't you like to know." I tease.

"I would actually. If I can't get my girlfriend just to stare at me longingly than I'm doing something wrong." He opens his eyes and gives me a broad smile. He raises one eyebrow and asks,"Am I?"

"You have nothing to worry about Matthew. From what I see you are a child of the devil and an angel. You got the devils looks and the angel's heart." I give him a wink

"How poetic," he says sarcastically, then adds," and very true."

"I just can't keep my eyes off you, honey." His smiles are infectious.

I look into his blue and brown eyes. There something that's keeping them alert. All week he has been acting strange. Running out in the middle of the night, and bringing back watermelon. He's been avoiding me, and acting nervous. Then out of the blue he wants to go camping.

"What are you thinking about?" His deep voice pulls me back to reality.

I have no reason to lie to his so I tell him the truth, mostly,"I was think about how weird you were this week and that we should go swimming."

He gets up and offers me his hand. I take it out of affection not need. His touch is soft but also rough.

"Valentine Margaret Prestilani," my heart skips a few beats as he gets down on one knee,"do you think you'll be able to handle the devils son as your husband?"

I feel tears welling up. "I think I can handle him. Why do you ask?" There's a hitch in the lash word, and I have to take a deep breath.

"Well he would like to know if you would become his beautiful wife?" I can't hold my tears back anymore. I have fallen in love with this man, but I have to do what I need to.

"No." This set him back. I see a glint of something shiny in the tree line. I grab the 9mm from the holster tucked in my pants at the small of my back. Why do we have to do this.

I hear the click of rifles all around me. I see Matthew pull out a revolver. He doesn't point it at me, but at the woods. Back to back.

"I mean, not yet, give me a minute."