The Scorch Trials, a Must Read | Teen Ink

The Scorch Trials, a Must Read

May 2, 2014
By Nick Maurer BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Nick Maurer BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner is a sequel to the Maze Runner, and picks up right where the previous book left off. This book is thrilling and suspenseful as the group is faced with another challenge presented by WICKED. Only this time in a different scenario, and new obstacles will be faced. Their mission is to travel a hundred miles north until they reach the safe heaven. Where the Gladers believe they will be presented with a cure to the sun flare, which they all now possess.
When reading The Scorch Trials, the audience can be just as confused as the characters are in the book. The main character, Thomas, is always trying to find out solutions to the group’s problems, as well as answers to their questions. This book portrays low clarity in the beginning, but keeps reading and ride along the journey with the characters. The audience will begin to understand the complicated plot line and their mission at hand. Dashner, the author, is able to use unique and educated vocabulary to vividly describe “cranks” which can be compared to zombies. “Dashner perfectly captures Thomas’ confusion, his anger, his fear, his every emotion about being thrown into this hellish world”(Nikki). The author is also able to paint a picture of the hellish sun flare wasteland, with buildings scattered throughout that look like they have gone through a nuclear holocaust.
I would highly recommend this book to all my friends, peers, and teachers, because it is one of the few books I have ever enjoyed reading. The plot will keep the reader engaged with all of its unexpected surprises, making it impossible to put the book down. Some people think that this book “suffers middle series syndrome”(Amazon Customer), but I would beg to differ on this point. If the reader liked the Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials will definitely be an enjoyable read.