Specs | Teen Ink

Specs

By Hetaku66 BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida
Hetaku66 BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida

“Craaaaaaap! Where are my glasses!?” Mark groaned loudly out of annoyance, running a hand through his choppy black hair. How long has it been now? Four, five hours since he first lost his glasses?The American has searched high and low for those lenses that help him see.For anyone who wears glasses, you know how hard it is to function properly without them helping you guide your way through life.

“Maybe… Maybe I can call someone for help…” The blinded man muttered to himself. He quickly grabbed his phone off of his very cluttered desk and dialed his best friend’s number that he knew by heart. “C’mon… Answer...”

“Hello~? This is Ken--.” The bearded man named Kenny said as he picked up his phone, pausing his video game and leaning back in his arm chair. He wasn’t able to finish his sentence because of Mark, who was screaming bloody murder into the microphone.

“I lost my glasses!” Mark cried into the phone, whining quite loudly as he paced his room back and forth in an nervous state. With everything he threw on the floor from searching so much was easily stepped over or avoided as he walked in circles.

“Hmm...” Ken hummed from his side of the line, stroking his beard in a comedic fashion. “Did ya check your kitchen?” As he said that, the black haired man went off to hunt down those spectacles. He opened every cabinet, looked under the sink, every pocket and nook and cranny of the fridge was checked. The only thing that was worth his time finding was the sandwich he made a few days ago. Gross…

“Nothing here, Kenny, nothing here…” He let out another whine of despair, making the other man on the line yell at him so he’d stop that inane noise.

“Look in the atti--”

“You know I’m scared of the attic!”

A long pause.

“Go and check the basem--”

“NOPE.” Mark was a frightened little man baby when it came to going into basements and attics due to his horrible addiction to horror Indie games.

“Fine… What about in your car?” Kenny asked, using his free hand to rub his temple. All that whining gave him a headache. Mark gave a nod as if the other could see him and went out to his car. But before that, he easily snatched his car keys out from under his pile of paperwork from his job. There was so much junk lying around his house.

About twenty minutes of searching every nook and cranny led to nothing except a few pieces of old gum, french fries, and some napkins were found.

“Nothing again...” Mark could hear Kenny groan on the other line, frowning as he realized how annoyed the other must be with all this commotion. “I’ll find them eventually… I’ll call you back when I do...”

Kenny let out a softer sigh this time, saying alright before hanging up. “Hopefully he’ll find them...”

Mark made his way slowly back to his room, eyes down at his dirty carpet. He really has to clean up the place. Before he got to his room, though, he had the sudden urge to use the bathroom. The American walked in the, using the facilities in a matter of seconds. After flushing, he got to the sink and washed his hands, the sound of the toilet running in the bathroom. Being somewhat narcissistic, he looked into the mirror and smiled at his reflection. But he noticed something.

A pair of glasses resting on his nose.
“Aren’t I smart...” HE muttered to himself, adjusting the specs with his wet hands. “Ken’ll never believe this.”

Inspired by a prompt generator that I found online.