Survival | Teen Ink

Survival

November 10, 2013
By Noah Hanselman BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
Noah Hanselman BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Survival

Frustrated by it, I angrily struck the wolf with the stick in my hand. It’s eyes grew dark and heavy, and it attacked me. The wolf went for my neck, growling and thrashing. I batted it away with my fist. I took out my sword and slashed. It whimpered when I hit it, but I didn’t hesitate. Survival was priority. It lunged again, but I quickly dodged to the left and slashed at it once more. The wolf grew weak, losing more and more blood. Terrified by the wolf’s suffering, I closed my eyes and swiftly ended the animal’s life.
I never remembered being born. I just appeared in a forest. I didn’t remember much of my past, but I must have been a very skilled person because I began gathering materials like I knew what I was doing. I found rocks, some sticks, and made a makeshift axe. There was soon a clearing from where I had cut down the trees around me. I still had no idea where I was, but I saw the sun getting lower and didn’t want to particularly find out what would come out once the dark came.
Like magic, I began constructing a shelter. It wasn’t anything special. There were no windows, and the only opening to the outside was a feeble door. There was no floor, and I had no bed, or any type of comforter. By the time I was done, it was almost pitch black. Afraid of dangers of the outside, I didn’t hesitate, and quickly got inside. I layed on the soft, wet grass in the corner of the shelter, thinking about what I was to do the next day. I would have to traverse the unknown, and the unknown terrified me. Well at least I know one thing about me, I don’t like things I don’t know about. I drifted into an uncomfortable sleep.


Peeling my face from the keyboard, I figured I should start going to my bed when I realize I’m drifting off. I quit out of Minecraft, turned off the computer, and found my bed on the other side of the room.
“Let’s hope I don’t have that weird of a dream this time,” I think to myself.