Howling Moon | Teen Ink

Howling Moon

August 27, 2013
By TayHarper SILVER, San Diego, California
TayHarper SILVER, San Diego, California
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Shoot For the Moon, If you miss you'll still be with the Stars.


Logan sat in the back of the 2010 Toyota Tundra Champagne color truck staring out the window while his mind ran wild with thoughts. His mother Arie sat in the passenger seat blabbing a bunch of nothing while Jykub (Logans father) drove and give his wife the occasional “Uh huh, yeah,” or shake of the head to show he was “paying attention”. Logan was upset, borderline furious but definitely heartbroken .His mother somehow convinced his father to move from their previous home to this new place called Moon City. Logan looked down at the wolf pendant on his necklace. He had always been fascinated with wolves. He rubbed his thumb against it and the memory of Kayla arose.








***


8 Hours Before



“Your Leaving!!!” Kayla yelled with a shocked look on her face.





“Did the bag and the truck full of stuff give me away?” Logan said sarcastically.


“But why?”











“Mom and Dad said it's time for us to leave.”







“You can’t leave....you just can’t.” Kayla said as she began to cry. Logan dropped his bags and wrapped his arms around her. He wanted to say he was sorry and if it was his choice he would stay but he knew that wouldn’t soothe her pain. Instead he kept his mouth shut and held onto her as long as he could because he knew this may have been the last time.

“Promise me something...” she said in between sobs still in his arms. She felt safe there and she didn’t want that safety to go to someone else.








“Anything love.”











“Promise you’ll come and see me. Promise that one day you come back for me..” There was a brief pause. Logan knew that would be nearly impossible but he knew he had to try.


“I promise.” Kayla pulled away and took off her necklace. It had a wolf pendant on it. The wolf looked as if it was howling at moon. She handed it to him.
“I’m not taking your necklace love.”

“Its to help you keep your promise that way you’ll always remember me.” She said. Logan took the necklace and put it on.
“Sorry I didn’t get you anything but this should do.” Logan said before kissing her.


***



“Logan, hey Logan!” His mother called him.
“What?” Logan said still angry and now even more because she awoke him from his daydream. His mother looked at him surprised at his tone of voice.


“Watch how you speak to me, what’s your problem?”
“You mean besides the fact that you two are dragging me along on this little road trip and making me leave everything behind? Everything just peachy.” He said with bitterness in his voice, it almost sounded demonic.




“Aren’t you happy to see Eliijah?”








“Eliijahn? No i'm not happy to see my judgemental, conceded, idiotic brother. That’s another thing, how come Eliijahn can live wherever he wants but I’m stuck with you two!” Logan said. Logan’s twin brother Eliijahn was also 17 but left at the start of the school year. Logan and Eliijah were attached at birth and the doctors were forced to separate them leaving a barely visible scar starting from his hairline passing down through his eyebrow (that had slit design in it to so it would look normal) and stopping at the top of his cheek. His scar was on the right side of his face, Eliijah’s was on the left side. Logan brushed some of his hair out of his eyes, his long black hair got a little tangled in his rings-he had on his thumb and pinkie-when he did this.



“Your brother left for school. And it just so happens they have dorms there,” Jykub said as he pulled up to a stoplight,” you’ll be going there too, BTW.”






“Whatever.” Logan sighed. He hated when his father tried to be funny by using what he calls “Teen talk”. His brother Eliijah was a very smart and very manipulative, he can get anything he wants and all he has to do is talk. That was the thing about him and his brother, they shared a gift in sweet talking. He pulled out his Iphone and his earphones. He placed the earphones in his ear and plugged it into his phone. After scrolling through his phone he found the song Careless Whisper -The Seether Cover. He placed his head against the window and fell asleep.

***


Logan dreams always seemed to be like memories to him. But this dream was like nothing he’s ever been in before. He stood in a black jean jacket, pants, boots and shirt in the cold wilderness as it snowed around him.
“Logan.” A feminine voice whispered but almost seemed to scream at the same time. It was a soft memorizing voice that echoed throughout this snowy world. It called him. He began to walk, he had no idea where but he let his feet guide him.
“Logan, ” the soft voice grew louder,” over here.” He looked to his left. There was a huge cave, dim and dark. Yet his body walked into the cave with no fear. He couldn’t see anything.

“Who are you, where are you.” Logan said. His voice sounded different, deeper, colder, angryer. As if he wasn’t himself.

“I am a friend. You are of the Lyken throne and you will rise and become one of us.” She said. The cave then light up in a blinding light. Once his eyes adjusted he looked upon the girl. She was, beautiful. Her hair color was dark, not black but almost burnt brown, she had more curves than a racetrack and her eyes where a attracting hazel. Her lips look soft and very kissable. On her neck was the same wolf pendant necklace Logan had. She wore a red shirt, a black biker chick leather jacket, blue pants and black heels.









“Lyken,” Logan said after admiring her,” as in werewolf?” She smiled a seductive smile. The girl then walked over to him and without a word kissed him. Logan, shocked, kissed back. But then she pulled away and gripped his jacket. Logan looked into her eyes and they went from hazel to pure white, then her dog teeth got sharp and she bit into his neck.
Logan opened his eyes. He put his hand to his neck, it was smooth and clean cut. Logan-for some reason-expected to feel a scar or some sort of mark to prove his dream was real. There was nothing. The car had come to a stop and the U-Haul in front of them did also. Logan quickly opened the door and jumped out of the truck planting his feet firmly on the ground. His legs felt different, as if this were his first time walking. The long car ride has caused them to fall asleep. He used the truck to support his weight, his arms even felt different. He looked up at the house and noticed it looked big, it was a tannish color, wide, one of those houses that Logan dreamed of living in, and now the dream is a nightmare.
A few long hours later and they were almost all settled in. Logan sat in his new room. The movers had put all the boxes with his name on it in his room. There was no bed, but there was a desk with a flat screen TV above it. When the movers brought the stuff in they piled it all in the corner of the room. Logan took one of the boxes and set it on the desk. He opened it and the first thing that was there was a picture of him and Kyra. The wounds seemed to be re-opened, he remembered this picture, the memory seemed to take him back.


***



“Logan are we almost there?” Kyra asked.
“Just up a ways.” He responded. They had gone hiking. Logan had gotten lost out here when he was seven and he remembered how beautiful the sunset was and wanted to take Kyra. His friends Nathan and Jack had set up a candle light dinner for them 15 minutes prior. Kyra had stopped now to catch her breath. Logan not wanting to wait went back and picked her up. He carried her in his arms. She wasn’t heavy and if she had been there was no way he would tell her that. They were about 15 yards off when she said








“Logan is that... no you didnt!” With a smile he set her down. Jack and Nathan were standing on both sides of the table-guitar in hand-and they were playing the tune to Careless Whisper. Logan and Kyra shared another passionate kiss.
Logan would never forget that day, and how could he. That was something special....something special he had to leave behind. Anger filled him so quick he hadn’t even realized he flung the box off the desk. He pulled the phone out of his pocket. He scrolled down to where he saw Kyras name. He was going to call her instead he hit the delete button. After this he couldn’t move, couldn’t breathe, couldn’t think. He was never going to see her again and there was nothing he could do about it.


“Logan.” His mother called him. Sighing he set phone on the desk and made his way down stairs. He thought he heard his mother’s voice come from the kitchen so that’s where he went. Alas there she stood sorting her knifes, forks and spoons in a drawer.


“Yeah?” he said dully.










“Me and your father are going to go see your brother at that school. Do you want to come?”


“Why would I want to go up there?”









“Well,” She said closing the drawer,” seeing as you’ll be going there you should get a feel for the place.”

“Oh no, no, no. no, no, no. You might have been able to convince dad to come on this little adventure but there is no way I'm going to that school.” He said as he turned and started back up the stairs.






“Its not a choice,” His father said as he came down the steps,” You have one more year left and then you can make that choice. Now go and get your coat, they say its supposed to be cold tonight.” Logan didn't argue but began to storm up the stairs. His father caught hold of his wrist.
“Son, there will be other girls.”
“But thats just it,” Logan said as he shook from his father,” I don’t want other girls.”











***

“Did it get done Skylar?”
“Yes, his Lyken blood has been activated through the fade. But his blood was erratic, I’m not sure when he’ll change..”
“Thats fine, we’ll keep him under close surveillance. Was their any problems?”
“No Eliijah, there were no problems.” Sasha said trying to walk out of the room.
“Knowing my brother,” Eliijahn began,” he didn't just willing let you bite him, even if you were in the Fade. So, what exactly happened.” Skylar knew he would ask that. She didn't want to tell Eliijahn that she kissed him but she didn't have a choice. Eliijanh was the one that was going to have to report back to the superior not her. She also knew Eliijahn loved her but she didn't know how she felt about him. Sighing, she knew she was going to have to come out with it.
“I...I kissed him.”

***

“Are you sure this is the place?”
“Thats what the directions say honey.”
“Well then lets go.“ Father said before he go out of the car. I had this overwhelming fury in my stomach and head. Usually when i'm angry or pissed off the anger forms into a headache. I was extremely upset with my father and mother but the headache was so intense that I decided to try and calm down. We arrived at the school around 7:50. It was dark out, cold and crisp. The school looked more like a college than a normal high school. I knew it had dorms for sure but i didn't know how big it was. My mother took my father arm as we walked across the parking lot. I followed closely behind them, ignoring their conversation. We walked into what looked like the main building and mom and dad were almost immediately greeted by some guy. He had a mohawk, he was about 6’3, green eyes, he was wearing a white v neck, blue pants and chucks.
“Hello,” he said,” are you Mr. and Mrs. Udaya?”
“We are.” my father said.
“Hi my name is Ace Hollinger, Eliijahn said you would be here and asked me to give you a tour of the campus until he can show up.”
“Thh typical,” I said as all three of them looked my way,” what is he too good to show his face now?”
“He’s...preoccupied with a little student control problem. He is the 12 grade lead by the way. You must be his twin brother Logan Udaya. He speaks highly of you.” I chuckled.
“I believe that as much as I believe your real name is Ace.” He smiled.
“Its Anthony,” he said as he extended his hand. I extended mine and shook. Their was a look on his face when we let go.
“What?”
“You have quite the grip their.”
“Sorry, I don’t know my own strength.” He nodded and returned to my parents. The look he had was weird, like I damn near broke his hand but I barely even put any pressure on it. Wimp....whatever, he started to take us through the campus. As we walked through the main hall I noticed the inside of the build looked like a museum. The floors where a pinkish newly polished tile, the walls were white, the ceiling was high and the place was packed with students and parents. It looked like I wasn't the only new one going to this school. There were some windows , lots of different pictures of important people on the wall, couches, rugs, and other places to sit for parents I assumed. Anthony, lead us away from the main hall and back outside, we headed around the main hall building on a lit stone pathway. While we walked mom and dad asked this guy a series of questions. I sort of felt sorry for this guy, having to answer a million question when he wasn't even the one who was supposed to be here.
“What’s that?” mother asked pointing off into the distance. Their were building that looked like hotels.
“Thats the girls dormitory, the male are in the back of the school. Each is guarded by court squads but we will get to that later.” As we walked we walked by a big open part of the campus with a huge fountain, park style benches, grass and things of that nature. Anthony explained that this was where most of the day class students study, while the some of the night class students study here but most study in the main hall.
“What’s the difference between night and day classes?” I asked.
“Oh hey, I forgot you were back their,” Anthony said and for some reason that irritated me beyond belief,” Day students have...different requirements than Night students. Theres a series of test that we all go through which classifies us as different.”
“Well Logan over here,” father started,” will be attending your school tomorrow. How would he go about finding out which class he’s in?”
“When you meet with Eliijah he will tell you but for now lets carry on.” Anthony said. We continued the walk. He showed us the food court, the building for administration and the rest of the campus. It . We met back in the main hall. My mother and father thanked ‘Ace’ and have him a handshake. He in turn welcomed them, he gave me a sly smile and walked away.
“Well,” mom said,” he was nice.”
“Yeah and the campus is lovely, it could-” my father began and I stopped listening. This time i didn't stop listening because I didn't care what they had to say, in fact it was a completely different reason altogether. After that Anthony guy walked away I tracked his movements. After he was done with us he walked over to another group of people. It was Anthony, these twin brothers, a random guy and...well the girl i saw from my daydream the other day. The one the bite me in the neck but not right before she kissed me. She was wear almost the same exact thing. This had to be some sort of coincidence or something. She looked over and we caught eyes. She was leaning against a table, she had this look about her. I could shake it or fathom it. Her hazle eyes and burned into my soul and all that kept playing in my mind was the kiss. Her gentle lips against mine.I tried to pull away from here but couldn't, finally she looked away and it was like I could breath again.
“Eliijah!” mom said as she broke my thoughts. This time i was actually pretty grateful she did. She hugged my brother and he hugged back. His bangs almost covering his blue eyes. Me and him were about the same size and width. After mom let got it was dad’s turn.
“How it going son?”
“Rather well, I take it Ace gave you the full tour.”
“That he did.” father said. It was then that Eliijahn turned to me. He looked me in the eye with a certain intensity and i returned it.
“How are you doing little brother?”
“Little brother? We’re the same age and took a breath of this world at the same time.”
“Yeah but when it comes to I.Q”
“You do not want to test me right now Eliijah.”
“Oh did I strike a nerve?”
“Alright you two that’s enough.” mother said before it got out of hand. I clenched my jaw, I hadn’t even seen this guy for more than 3 minutes and he was already insulting me. If mom want here this would have been a more physical matter.
“Hey is that the Ogun’s?” Dad said point off to the other side of the room.
“Dad,” Eliijah said making him retract his arm,” don’t point. The Ogun’s are something of royalty here.”
“Royalty? They were farmers back in Colorado.”
“Nevermind that,” mother said interrupting,” what is this test that Logan has to do to be admitted into this school?”
My brother pulled out a golden envelope out of his black blazer. He tried to hand it to me. For a moment I just looked at it and then father tried to take it.

“No. This is for Logan’s eyes only. If anyone else looks at the documents in this folder he won’t be able to be admitted. They take it very serious here.”

“So what am I supposed to do?” I asked feeling how thick the envelope was. It was one of those things we’re you realize you going to have to read way more than you want to.

“There are questions in the packet that you will answer truthfully or to the best of your ability. Fill it out tonight, turn it in tomorrow morning and then you’ll get your schedule and shown to where you will be staying.” He said. I nodded in understanding. I looked up to see the girl still staring at me. She made a motion with her head, almost signaling me to go outside. I stared at her for a second and then returned to the conversation. Father was in the middle of saying something to Elijah. While we were on the walk earlier I had snagged the keys from his pocket. No use in asking, so I turned and started to walk away.

“Where are you going?” mother said.

“To go get some fresh air and sit in the car.” I said as I walked outside. I could hear dad patting his side to check for his keys and then giving up when he realized I must have taken them. I smiled to myself, I was getting faster when it came to pickpocketing. Stealth was now my friend rather than an enemy. Before, when me and Eliijah were young-about 7 or 8- dad would teach us a lot of cool things. Dad was ex military so he taught us hand to hand combat, how to use a gun, how to disable a gun, fix up cars, basically everything he was supposed to. He doesn't do it so much anymore, i think because of mom but whatever, i practice on my own anyway. I walked outside and then followed the stone pathway once more. I'm not sure why I followed the pathway but it was almost as if I was supposed to. Once I reached the open part of the campus I walked over to the fountain. In the fountain it had one of those lights that changed color every ten seconds. Anyway, I looked down into the water and the moonlight was bright enough to where I was able to see my own reflection. I listened to the sound of the night, it called to me in an almost longing way.

“You know where I come from, when people stare at you its taken as a challenge.” A voice said. A sweet, soft, flowing voice. It was too familiar. I turned around to face the girl in my dreams. There she stood with her hands in her pockets, calm and ever so cool looking. I didn't know what to say, sorry for staring you just look like the girl that kissed and bit me in my dreams? Probably would label me as a freak and I didn't need that at a new school. Instead of saying something witty or creative i just stood there staring... again...

“What,” she said,” wolf got your tongue?” I gave a small laugh and a smile. To my surprise i got a smile back.

“What’s your name?” I was finally able to say. She walked closer to me and looked into the pond. Her burnt brown hair neatly set on her jacket. “What,” I said making a joke,” you don’t have a name?”

“Its Skylar. Skylar Yohan.”

“Im-”

“Logan Udaya, twin brother to Eliijah Udaya.” I shook my head and turned away.

“Thh, seems like thats all I'm going to be known for here huh?” I said with a sigh. When I sighed the heat from my breath turned into fog.

“Unless you make something of yourself then yes.” She said. I thought for a second about her comment, I don’t have to prove anything to anybody. This chick must think I’m just some normal guy.

“It takes two to stare.”

“What?” She said off guard.

“You said, were you come from staring is a sign of a challenge. You were staring at me just as much as I was at you.”

“It’s advice. I don’t take offence to it, but the guys here...they will take your head off in an instant.”

“Thanks for the advice but I know how to take care of myself.”

“Sure you do.”

“I know how to fight.” I said getting irritated.
“Oh really,” she said looking me up and down for a moment,” show me.”
“Show you?”
“Thats what I said.” This girl was crazy. She wanted me to fight her?
“I dont fight girls.”
“Fine, I’ll make the first move.”
“Wha-” was all I had time to say before she was in my face. She swung with a right and i was barely able to duck it. She came with the left and i deflected it away from me. She came with a roundhouse kick, i ducked and wrapped around her. I held her from behind, almost if i was hugging her but I was trying to restrain her.
“Do you always swing when you first meet a guy? Must be really hard to find a date.” I said jokingly. She raised her left foot and tried to stomp on my foot. I moved out of the way but lost my grip on her. She wiggle out of my hold and I felt the bluntness of her elbow to the side of my temple. I was rocked, before i could regain my composure her right hand met my jaw. She had the force of a man in her punches. She threw another punch, I blocked it and caught hold of her arm. I swept my legs under hers causing her to fall to the floor. I pinned her down.
“Do you yield?” I asked still holding her down.
“You’ll need more than defense to survive here. But for now I yield.” She said. It was then that i realized how this looked. I was on top of her, pinning her arms to the ground. Her eye looked into mine. This girl was surreal.
“Why did you call me out here?”
“I need to see how strong you are. To make sure my future leader is’nt a weakling. To see if you’re starting transition.”
“Transition? Leader? What are you talking about?” There was a force that tackled me to the floor and off of Skylar.
“Ace no!” Skylars voice said. That guy Ace had his forearm in my throat. He weighed a ton. I couldn't get him off of me. What the hell was his problem.
“Why were you attacking her!” Ace said. I tried to tell him that it was her that was attacking me but I couldn't breath. I looked into his eyes, they were a bright amber. I noticed his teeth were abnormal sharp. What was this guy?
“Enough!” my brothers voice rang out. In an instant, air started to return to my lungs. I coughed a harsh cough.
“Eliijahn,” Ace said,” I was just pro-”
“Enough Ace. Take Skylar to her room and return to your dorm.”
“Eliijah I-” Skylar started.
“Now.” my brother said with an evil tone. Both Ace and Skylar stood still for a second and then disappeared like they were never their. What the hell was going on here? I let out another cough. My brother stood over me with a look of disapprovement.
“What are you looking at?” I said willing myself back up to my feet.
“You just cant stay out of trouble can you. You think you can just come here and sturr thing up?”
“Look, I-”
“Save it,” he said and then something weird happened,” you will forget what happened here. You going to go home and all you're going to remember was the information Ace gave you and to fill out the forms in the envelope. When you wake up tomorrow, you’ll forget about Skylar and avoid her as much as you can.” I stared at him for a second, and then all I saw was black.


***


To be continued