_John_

“If you leave now, then don’t ever come back!” I screamed at my father as he walked out and slammed the front door. Empty and hurt, that’s how I felt. As tears ran down my face, I slid down the wall, and held my knees, as I wept uncontrollably. This was the last time, the last time he would ever hurt me, and I would make sure of that.
I’m Emily Dawson, but you can call me Emma. I am 17 years old, and on my own. I work full time to support myself and my younger brother John. John and I are very close, even though he is only 13. Since our mother died a year ago things have been pretty tough! My father has been in and out of my life ever since I can remember. John and I would cry, even beg him not to go, but he would leave, and then beg us to forgive him when he came back. This time, I was going to make sure he didn’t come back. I wouldn’t let him hurt us again, this was the last straw.
Since I graduated high school I’ve been working, paying the bills, buying food, and helping my John with his homework. I’m only seven-teen, I should be hanging out with friends, going to college and starting my life. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, I love John; he’s the reason I keep going. I used to be a very trusting person, but my dad has changed that. The only person that I am truly close to is John. I am so thankful that I have him.
“Emma, where’s my backpack?” John asked as we were rushing out the door. “In your room I think, hurry up and grab it, we’re gonna be late!” “Ok, be right back.” He said as he ran up the stairs to his room. I was halfway out the door when I heard a scream, John’s scream. “John! John!” I ran up the stairs yelling. I busted through the door to his room and saw John lying lifelessly on the floor. “NO! John!” I saw blood running from his chest; it looked as if he had been shot. I tried to find a pulse, a heartbeat, any sign of life; I got nothing. I picked his head up and knelt beside him and cried.