_John_ | Teen Ink

_John_

By Tabitha1233 PLATINUM, Tucson, Arizona
Tabitha1233 PLATINUM, Tucson, Arizona

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

“If you leave now, then don’t ever come back!” I screamed at my father as he walked out and slammed the front door. Empty and hurt, that’s how I felt. As tears ran down my face, I slid down the wall, and held my knees, as I wept uncontrollably. This was the last time, the last time he would ever hurt me, and I would make sure of that.
I’m Emily Dawson, but you can call me Emma. I am 17 years old, and on my own. I work full time to support myself and my younger brother John. John and I are very close, even though he is only 13. Since our mother died a year ago things have been pretty tough! My father has been in and out of my life ever since I can remember. John and I would cry, even beg him not to go, but he would leave, and then beg us to forgive him when he came back. This time, I was going to make sure he didn’t come back. I wouldn’t let him hurt us again, this was the last straw.
Since I graduated high school I’ve been working, paying the bills, buying food, and helping my John with his homework. I’m only seven-teen, I should be hanging out with friends, going to college and starting my life. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, I love John; he’s the reason I keep going. I used to be a very trusting person, but my dad has changed that. The only person that I am truly close to is John. I am so thankful that I have him.
“Emma, where’s my backpack?” John asked as we were rushing out the door. “In your room I think, hurry up and grab it, we’re gonna be late!” “Ok, be right back.” He said as he ran up the stairs to his room. I was halfway out the door when I heard a scream, John’s scream. “John! John!” I ran up the stairs yelling. I busted through the door to his room and saw John lying lifelessly on the floor. “NO! John!” I saw blood running from his chest; it looked as if he had been shot. I tried to find a pulse, a heartbeat, any sign of life; I got nothing. I picked his head up and knelt beside him and cried.