They're Alive? | Teen Ink

They're Alive?

By Kara Pyykkonen BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
Kara Pyykkonen BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

A Clever Title

“5...4…3…” the automated voice said. “And done with two seconds to spare!” I proudly share with my teammates. I was probably the only kid in my group that could disarm a fully loaded bomb. Hi my name is Casey and you’re probably wondering why a sixteen year old girl can disarm a bomb in less than a minute. That’s because I’m in the CIA, only for kids. I’ve been training here ever since I was eight years old. I lost my parents when I was younger when they went on a mission and never came back, so from that day forward I vowed that I would join the CIA and look for them. I still have hope that they are still alive. Anyways, this place is like my second home. I live, breath, and love training. Everyone here is like family. I’ve also made a few friends along the way. My best friend Lucy is the second best in my group. She also lost her parents when she was young so we share a special bond.

Today I am meeting with the head spy, Commander Walters. I am not sure what exactly he wants to talk about all I got was a very vague message saying “Meet in my office at noon.-CW”. So at five to noon I headed on down to his office. I’ve only been there twice. Once when I went to accept the award for my parents in honor of their bravery. The second time was when I got accepted into the CIA. All that I could remember of his office was that it was large and had very few personal items in it. Like I said, I haven’t been in there for a while. I arrive at his office a minute early and knock softly on his door. I stood there motionlessly for a minute until I knock again but this time the door opens by itself. I creep inside slowly. Is this some kind of test? I mentally start preparing myself for all the possible things that could happen and rethink all of the tips my instructors taught me. I keep looking around the dark, crowded room, searching for any signs of danger but I still don't see any. I glance up at the dark screen that hangs up above Commander Walters’ desk and all of a sudden it comes to life. Up on the screen I see Commander Walters tied up and sitting unconscious. And there next to him was our number one most wanted, Jackson Hawthorne. He is a tall, shady guy who has robbed multiple banks and murdered innocent people. Jackson had this wild look in his eye and scars up and down his pale face. He looked sick and weak. “Greetings Casey,” Jackson said with a grin on his face. “I’ve been watching you very closely for the past few months. You are becoming quite the agent, just like your parents.”
“What do you know about my parents?” I screamed at him.
“Just that they may not be dead after all.” What!? That's impossible, but what if it isn't? This could easily be a trap. “Where are you? What do you want with Commander Walters? And what do you want with me?”
“Ah, I thought you would never ask. Since you are becoming such a good little agent, you’re kind of a threat to me and that just simply won’t do. So I have a deal for you. Come and give yourself up for me and you can have your commander and your parents back.”
“Fine I’ll do it. Just tell me where you are and I’ll be there.” I said this without even thinking about what I just agreed to. It’s worth it though. This is what I’ve been trained to do. And as the good agent I’ve been brought up as, I always have a better plan.
“Um, excuse me? Don’t mean to interrupt your train of thought but you kind of need to know where I am. I will send you my coordinates and you can take it from there. And don’t do anything stupid, wouldn’t want your commander to suffer. Or even worse, your parents.” And that's when the screen went black.

It’s about one-thirty and my bags are packed and ready to go. The only person that knows where I am going is Lucy. I need someone to take my place when I don’t return. Tears start to stream down my face and I wipe them away quickly. No tears. I stand in my empty room for a few minutes taking it all in. All I can think about is that this is my last time in my room, in the CIA. And with that I open my bedroom door and click the lights off for the very last time.

The sun is setting by the time I reach the location where Jackson said he was. There was nothing unusual about the building. It looked like your basic vacation home, two stories, pool and a nice view overlooking the deep blue ocean. Which made it a perfect place for a hideout. I grabbed my bag full of my equipment and started scaling the wall. Halfway up my arms started to quiver but I kept pushing through the pain. Just think in a little bit I could be reunited with my parents once again. I finally reached the roof top and at that point I was covered in sweat. I took in my surroundings and noticed a decent size skylight that I could easily slip through. What happened next I couldn’t tell you because everything went black.

I woke up about a half hour later tied up. I was in a dimly lit room and I could tell that I was not alone. I could hear footsteps pacing around me and pausing every few seconds. Feeling dizzy and slightly nauseous I tried to see who it was. I couldn't quite make out the face but she looked so familiar. She was tall and slender, and her hair was short and dark. “Hello Casey, long time no see.” the mysterious stranger said in a mischievous voice. The voice sounded like one I already knew.
“Lucy? Wait what are you doing here? Did you follow me here? I thought I told you to stay behind so you can take my place!” I started tugging frantically at the ropes that were tied tightly around my hands and feet.
“Oh you did.”
“So why didn’t you listen?”
“Because Casey, I don't like you. I never did and I never will. Being your ‘best friend’ was all part of plan.” Lucy said manically.
“What plan? Lucy what are you talking about? Seriously tell me why you are here.”
“It’s all part of Jackson’s plan.” I stared back at her in disbelief. “Wait. so you’re the one whose been keeping an eye on me1? How could you? Why would you do this to me?
“I’ve always been second compared to you. And quite frankly I’m getting sick of it. So I contacted Jackson and we worked out a plan that we would both benefit from.”
And at that very moment the man of the hour walked in as if he heard his cue. Jackson was even scarier in person. His scars looked deeper and his skin even paler. I cringed at the sight of him. And behind him three people followed closely behind. One of them was Commander Walters and the other two were my parents.

I sat there in awe for what seemed like forever. They looked sick and at the moment I knew what I had to do. I broke through the ropes that I had loosened while Lucy was going on talking about how she betrayed me. I leapt towards Lucy first taking all my anger out on her, knocking her out cold within seconds. Next I went for Jackson. He wasn’t as easy to take down as Lucy was. We battled it out for a good twenty minutes. Punch after punch, double twist side kick, the whole shebang. And then I took the first blow. He hit me right in the jaw which just added fuel to my anger. I punched back at him twice as hard as he hit me. And with that he was out. I then proceeded to tie both him and Lucy up against the chair that once held me captive. Lucy stirred a little bit when I had finished tying her so I slipped her some sleeping syrup to keep her down a little bit longer. My parents and Commander Walters were still standing there too sick to react so I grabbed them and got out of there but not before I hit the self destruct button. We had about fifteen minutes before the place would come crumbling down, I had to act quickly as to how we were going to get out of there. We started walking around the lair searching for any type of transportation. Think Casey, think! And right as I saw thought of it, I saw it. A large, brand new, shiny I might add, blue submarine. I loaded Commander Walters and my parents in and then proceeded to check my watch. Thirty seconds left, I quickly started the engine and raced out the lair. I made it a good hundred feet before I saw the house blown to pieces.

“And so I would gladly like to award this medal to miss Casey Shay for her act of bravery and ruthlessness.” Commander Walters announced to the whole CIA. I smiled and stood up and went to receive my award. He gave me a strong handshake and then a quick hug. I then returned to my seat right in between my parents. After being in the hospital for a month it was nice to have them all to myself. And for the first time in a long time, my life felt complete.