The Double Storm Night | Teen Ink

The Double Storm Night

The Double Storm Night

CRASH! Outside the thunder cracked as the storm started up again. We were all inside though, and didn’t pay it a lot of attention, we were having too much fun. I could still taste the juicy tenderloin and the creamy milk. The dining table was still cluttered with half eaten chicken and steak. Messy plates littered the counter and empty glasses were crammed into any open space between the plates. Dishes would be quite the chore tommorow. Inside the family room our family’s were all gathered. We were chatting the night away and watching the Cubs game. The room was crowded and the younger you were, the farther away you were from the chairs.
Another flash of lightning lit up the room and some of the parents began to worry.They forced the husbands to change the channel to check the weather, the news was alarming.
“Tornado warning are widespread and you should move to a near cellar as funnel clouds are being sighted.” The weather man reported.
Suddenly the whole atmosphere changed, everyone began a frantic scurry home to prepare for the storm. In about three short minutes the only people left in the house was my parents, my sister and I. My mother told us to grab some pajamas and head to the basement. We did that and I grabbed two random books for some entertainment if we had to stay in the cellar awhile. I realized that our dogs had beaten us down here a long time ago, and they were huddled in the corner. I sat down in one of the sleeping bags laid down in the corner of the basement. It was not comfortable because of the jagged stone floor but I was surprisingly tired and soon fell asleep.
I woke up very confused at what was happening. I remembered that I was in our basement, but it felt different. I felt like I was outside, my sister, Constance was getting up to. That was when I noticed the faraway echo of the tornado siren, and the absence of my parents. I frantically began scanning the room for them. I did not see them so I went to the door to the cellar because it looked like it had been opened. I was blasted by the gust of rain wind and I could smell a faint scent of burning wood. I saw where my parents where, they were frantically trying to put out the small flames that littered the cellar’s door. Apparently a huge lightning strike had blasted the door and part of the porch. The whole house might’ve been set ablaze had the rain not been so consistent. My Mom yelled to me to get back in the basement with my sister, but she came running through the door just then. We were all about to head for cover but there was a loud creaking sound, followed by hundreds of brittle cracking sounds; something was collapsing. For some reason I ran under a table and closed my eyes, bracing myself for impact. The noise was unexplainable as the world literally collapsed around me. I stayed still for about a minute and then decided to look around. I swam through the wreckage, navigating through split wood, crumpled bricks, and dry plaster. I called out, hoping to hear someone else, but I could hardly hear myself over the howling of the wind. I looked outside of the cellar to see where my family was and saw what I feared the most; a funnel cloud descending into a field right next to our house.
I yelled into the cellar “Tornado, tornado!”
There was still no reply so I did not know what I should do. Should I stay here in the unprotected cellar or should I head outside to the barn’s basement. I called out one more time to make sure no one was hurt, but I didn’t think they would have been able to hear me anyway as the wind was deafening. I made a mad dash for the barn. I looked back at the tornado, it was destructive, thick and a deep grey so it almost blended in with the dark night sky. It plowed through the field and the trees in it, uprooting them like they were sticks stuck in the ground. It was closer than I realized an already dust and debris from the tornado were already flinging at me . It became harder to see and breathe. I stumbled around and then lost my footing, I plunged into the wood pile. Pain wracked my whole body and every movement was a struggle. I crawled out and tried to get on my feet, when a sharp pain filled my right leg, it felt like it was broken. I desperately made an attempt to reach the barn door, but it was no use my right leg was dead. I felt like I should be crying or yelling for help, but everything seemed useless to me. Turning to look at my murderer, I realized the beauty in this tornado, it was really a wonder, how simple wind was enough to tear the landscape apart. A sudden thick lightning strike blasted the street, completing the beauty of the image, the most beautiful and destructive image I have ever seen. Wood from the house started to fling around wildly, I shielded my face, although I felt it was prolonging the inevitable.
“ I’ll just close my eyes and hope for the best.” I thought to myself.
I did and I forgot about the fear of death and the clinging to life, I don’t know how it happened, but it felt surprisingly slow. Then I felt nothing. It was a welcome nothing as I couldn’t feel anything for awhile, except the warm touch of my father and mother laying a bandage over my leg.