Mutts | Teen Ink

Mutts

September 29, 2012
By IssaK BRONZE, Farmington, Utah
IssaK BRONZE, Farmington, Utah
3 articles 1 photo 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be ."


Purebloods, mutts. What’s the difference? They are deadly, violent, and hungry. Hungry, for human, for blood, for me.

It started inside me… Growing and growing… Pushing out the human in me and filling me with monster.
The smell of blood burned in my nostrils, pulling me toward it. My victim was close… It was hurt and slow, dying quickly.
I tried to fight the monster, drowning it in my human thoughts. It was too strong; I roared his name with my last thought.
“MANSON!” And I was gone. My eyes burned red, my teeth stretched and sharpened. My breath came out hot and raspy, smoking in front of me. I charged.
My legs stretched out in front of me, seeming longer and more agile.
I snarled, hearing another monster after my prey. The blood-scent still burned in my nose, but I could smell him too. He was more cautious than me; I could tell he was a new one, a mutt. His sent of human still clung to him, but it couldn’t mask the monster's smell of musky woods, pine, and hunger.
I could see his shadow now, dodging in and out of trees, breath floating in front of him.
I ran slower, to watch him, to see what he would do. He stopped, and turned toward me. His eyes, a deep glowing red, were the only thing I could see. He turned away and ran, disappearing behind the trees.
I tried to follow him, but he was gone. I stopped and took a deep breath; the blood was gone from the air. I growled deep in my throat, another monster had stolen my prey. As I stood there, searching for a new prey to stalk, I heard him. His breath was raspy, and was coming from above me.
I turned around just in time to see his blood red eyes, then he had pinned me to the ground.

Everything around me is alive. The trees, the plants, and the animals. It is all so bright and full of color it is hard to look away.
Everything inside me is dying. My bones are crushed, I am cut and bleeding, and my vision is beginning to flicker out. Before my eyes die, I see him. A black silhouette against the sun.
His teeth sink into my wrists and arms, as I began to change. The only thing I can hear now is what he said to me.
“If you ever need me, my name is Manson. I’m here to help you.” Then he was gone. My body throat burned, and I shivered as I change.
My eyes went black, and my new life starts from here.

I struggled against his hand. It burned my skin, wrapped around my throat. I try to scream, he clutched my throat harder. My legs were flying, trying to reach his head, but I wasn’t strong enough...
“Are you ready to die MUTT?” His voice is deep and rich with hunger.
My eyes grew wide with shock. A Pureblood. Not a mutt. My nose burned with the scent of mutt on him… I screamed again, this time my voice was heard.
“MANSON!” I try to struggle; this monster has lost all humanity. He is eating his own kind, to stifle his thirst. I saw his teeth flash in the moonlight as his lip pulled into a cruel sneer.
“That mutt can’t save you now!” His breath was hot on my face, and I could smell mutt blood.
“He… will…” I choked. His laugh echoed out into the empty air, shivers racked my body as I changed back to my human form. I could feel my blood begin to pulse through my veins again, and I know this Pureblood could smell it.
He showed his fangs, making me try to scream again.
“MA…” But he clutched my throat to such an extent that I couldn’t breathe. My vision is beginning to blur, and my heart pounded in my ears, blocking out all other sounds.
I could see him laughing. I couldn’t stand the sight of his glowing eyes, and flashing teeth. I closed my eyes, welcoming my death. I felt a heavy weight, pressing harder and harder, breaking my ribs. I screamed.
Then the weight was gone, like a ghost it disappeared. My eyes flashed open, but I couldn’t see anything in this darkness with my human eyes.
I heard rustling coming from my right. I tried to turn my head but my ribs ached. I lay, groaning, in the darkness. I heard no sound, none of the rustling before. Just nothing.
I lay there for hours. Then I smelt it… the blood. My throat began to burn, and I tried not to twist from the agony of changing. As I lay there twitching, I heard breathing. Coming closer and closer.
The Pureblood was back. A tear trickled out of my eye, before it began to turn red.
I could see everything now. The trees and their high branches. The grass, with tiny diamonds of dew, and the two shadows.
I lay there watching them, they didn’t move, and didn’t breathe.
I could feel my ribs repositioning themselves with sharp snaps. I twitched each time a bone reconnected.
I sat up and could see the shadow's clearly now. One was the Pureblood, limp and dead in the other shadows arms. I jumped up ready to fight the other Pureblood that stood before me.
I growled a challenge to him.
As he turned toward me, he yanked his arm out of the chest of the dead Pureblood. Blood covered his arm, making my throat burn. I stayed far away, making sure he wasn’t going to attack.
But he just stood there watching me, slowly licked the blood off his fingers. He took one slow step towards me. I stepped back, growling a warning to him. He smiled and took another step. “Brooke. It’s okay it’s me. I told you I would come.” He held his hand out to me, still smiling. I was terrified. But I ran into his arms.
He embraced me and I said his name in a breath.
“Manson…”


The author's comments:
I've always wanted to create my own species of vampires. When I would be by myself and just thinking, ideas would come to me about this story. So finally I just decided to write it all down.