Off Course.... | Teen Ink

Off Course....

By Lola... BRONZE, East Haven, Connecticut
Lola... BRONZE, East Haven, Connecticut

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
― Marilyn Monroe

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun, then you can with a kind word alone."
- Al Capone

The plane is out of control smoke firing out of the engines
Genevieve and Jean Pierre look at each other. “Genevieve we have to jump!”
“What are you crazy?!” exclaimed Genevieve
“No, we need to go now,” screams Jean Pierre.
Genevieve closes her eyes takes a long deep breath and jumps for her life, Jean Pierre right behind her. She can hardly see where they are going; thoughts are rushing through Genevieve’s head,
“What was the last thing I said to family? Did I really do all I wanted in life? I am not ready to die!” Genevieve smacks down in the middle of a foreign land.
Genevieve looks around and realizes they are in a forest in the middle of nowhere, no civilization near that she can see.
“Ahhhh! Squeals Jean Pierre as his body slams Genevieve back down to the earth. They lay there for a moment trying to get over the pain they just endured, and then they slowly get up rubbing the back of their heads
“Are you ok,” asks Jean Pierre
“Uhhh I’m ok” Genevieve says in an out of breath tone.
“Where do you think we are Jean Pierre?” asks Genevieve
“I don’t know,” say Jean Pierre still rubbing the back of his head, “by the looks of things we are in a forest,” says Jean Pierre
“Well, thank you captain f***ing Obvious!” explodes Genevieve
“Well, you did ask me where you thought we were.”
“True, but I meant where in the world you thought we were “
“Well, next time say what you mean,” Jean Pierre mutters under his breath.
Out of the corner of his eye he sees Genevieve start crying into her knees. He goes over to try and comfort her.
“What’s wrong,” Jean Pierre asks in his kindest word.
With her red puffy eyes she looks up at him, “I was supposed to get married in a week to my fiancé Remy,” she says while still crying into her knees
“Well then why were you on your way to France,” asks a curious Jean Pierre.
“Well, I was on my way there because after our honeymoon we were supposed to move to Paris. I was coming here to check out our flat and how it was coming along, they only have about two weeks left before we move in. I just wanted to make sure everything was how it was supposed to be.”
Jean Pierre looked at her and wiped a little bit of dirt off her face from when they fell “It’s ok, I will figure out a way to get you to your flat so that you can go home and get married to what’s his name.,” – he whispered softly into her ear
Genevieve giggled, his slight scruffy beard tickled her ear delightfully as she wiped her eyes and said, “well, we need to figure out where the h*ll we are first in order to figure out how to get out of here.”
“Genevieve, I learned somewhere that when you are lost you are just supposed to stay put and someone will find you” said Jean Pierre
“Do you see anyone anywhere?” snarked Genevieve
Jean Pierre looks around, “no”, he says slightly let down
“Exactly! Now either help me get out of here like you said or I will go alone.” Genevieve stomps off to find her way through the dense forest of the foreign area trying to figure out where she is.
“Hey! Wait up, I don’t want you to be alone,” Jean Pierre yells while chasing after her.
*****
“We have been walking for hours and we haven’t seen any sign of people anywhere” – complains Jean Pierre
“Really? We only have been walking for about 15 minutes so man up and let’s go. We’re losing day light here” – laughs Genevieve
“Ok I was just messin’ with you back there. I am not complaining, I just wanted to see you smile since this day really hasn’t gone as you planned,” Jean Pierre smiles with a small wink in his right eye
“Come on let’s go!” Genevieve states with a slight tremor in her voice, she thinks to herself “could I really be falling for this guy? We have only known each other for about 10 hours. Is this really possible that I could be falling for him?! NO! I can’t I have Remy at home waiting for my safe return. We are soon to be married and we will have a wonderful life together.” Genevieve sheds a tear as she marches on in her “adventure” to find someone to help them.
“Hey look over there what’s that?” Jean Pierre says with a twinge of excitement in his voice. Genevieve looks over to where he is pointing she stares long and hard at what he is pointing at and all she sees are some trees.
“What?!” says Genevieve looking with hawk eyes. “I don’t see anything, what is it?” She looks vigorously for what he is pointing to, hoping it’s a sign of civilization, somewhere.
“Look right there! Do you see it?” Jean Pierre says in whisper.
“No, what?” – As she clenches her teeth in dismay.
“It’s a red squirrel, isn’t it magnificent?” he says with amazement in his voice.
“Are you freaking kidding me? We are lost in a forest, in the middle of nowhere and you want to point out stupid squirrels to me! Really? Next time you want to play search and find, find a freaking place where we could get help!”
Genevieve stares at Jean Pierre for a moment with a glaring aggravation on her face. But, on the inside, she can’t help but melt in his crystal blue eyes and sweaty, tan skin, and that smile with those pearly whites glowing in the dark forest moon light.
Genevieve pulls back to reality and realizes that the sun has now fallen, in the dense woods. It is pitch black and the only thing you can see are the things lit up by the moons small rays of light and what the diamond filled sky illuminates. She looks at Jean Pierre and says, “I think we need to settle in for the night.”
“What, right here?” Jean Pierre complains.
“Yeah, sorry we didn’t build any shelter earlier so this is all we’ve got.”
“Uhhh, ok. This will do I am so tired,” responds Jean Pierre. They both flop down and stare up at the stars, looking for some comfort somewhere within.
Jean Pierre looks over at Genevieve and says, “Hey, Genevieve, are you still awake?”
“Yes, why?” she says in disgust.
“Did you say your fiancés name way Remy?”, He asks with a snicker.
“Yes. Again, why,” she asks with exaggeration
“Well, I was just thinking isn’t that the rats name in that Disney movie Ratatouille?”
“Yes, and your point? Please, hurry. I am extremely tired,” she yawns.
“Uhhh,” Jean Pierre lets out a big deep breath. “Never mind,” he says with a smile lighting up his face as he looks at the night time stars.
“Well, It sounds like you were going somewhere with that comment,” she laughs.
“No, I wasn’t. It was just a connection I made,” Jean Pierre laughs.
“Yeah, ok,” she says sarcastically.
“Good night, Genevieve.”
“Good night, Jean Pierre.”
*****
“The sun has risen and a new day has begun,” says Genevieve, with a slight smile facing down at Jean Pierre wiping the hair out of his face. Jean Pierre wakes up with a shocking look on his face not expecting Genevieve to wake him up.
“She could have left me here but she didn’t hmmmm very interesting.... ” he thought to himself
“Good morning, Genevieve,” he says with a yawn wiping his eyes trying to adjust to the bright sunlight in the sky.
“Good morning, Jean Pierre” she says with her most delightful voice possible.
“You know, this morning when I got up, I was thinking we got lost because our plane went down, yes” she says with her best impersonation of an investigator
“Oui, this is true,” Jean Pierre says holding his head on his left hand lying on his side still lying in the dirt facing her.
“Well...” says Genevieve still looking at Jean Pierre with her head slightly cocked to the left
“Well, what?” he says looking at her scowling his eye brows.
“Well,” she says, “you were flying the plane supposedly taking me to my destination which was France yes...” she questions him
“Yes, again, this is true” he says still just lying there in the dirt with a smirk on his face
“Well then you should know where we are based on how close to Paris we really were you should know exactly where we are and YOU should be able to call for help on your two way radio in the cockpit! Shouldn’t you!” she says shouting while beginning to get up off the ground.
“Well, I have a confession to make.....” he says in hesitation
“What!” she asks grabbing the front of his shirt so tight a button falls off
“Ok! I will tell you but you promise you won’t get pissed at me.” He says very calmly trying to back away from Genevieve, as she walks closer.
Jean Pierre takes a deep breath and says “you were my FIRST alone passenger” he says in hesitation
“What does that me?” Genevieve says grabbing his shirt even tighter as she walks closer to him.
“Well yes, I should know where we are and in my defense I have taken this flight a thousand times before but only on......” Jean Pierre takes another deep breath as Genevieve cuts him off.
“Only on what,” Genevieve yells ready to just push him into the ground with all her might
“Only on a flight simulator....” he says in a whisper looking up at her with a plea in his eyes she lets go of his shirt.
“Are you kidding me!” she whispers aggressively in his ear, to give him that scare factor that she loves so much.
“No, Genevieve. I am very sorry I have had all my training ,all my hours logged and my mentor even signed off on me and I passed all the tests with flying colors that I needed to,” he says in a sympathetic voice.
“GET LOST!” she screams with tears rolling down her face pointing her finger to the right dictating him in which direction to walk.
Jean Pierre looks at her, “I promise I can get us out of here just give me a shot I swear , please, Genevieve I am the only other person who knows you’re out here please let me help you, please” He says in a stern voice.
“Fine! Only because you are now my last hope to get out of here and possibly make it back in hope to get to my wedding on time” – she says with her back turned to him in a harsh tone still shedding tears under her long hair.
“Thank you for letting me help you and I am sorry I should have told you from the start” ,says ,Jean Pierre in a stern but sincere voice, still covered in dirt from when Genevieve pushed him down.
“Yeah, whatever” Genevieve says walking away. “Come on you want to help me get out of here it’s your last shot! Start leading the way mister” as she put her hand out showing him to take the lead position.
“Ok, follow me” Jean Pierre says with a smiling looking over his left shoulder to see if Genevieve was following him.
Knowing what he was doing Genevieve just said “yeah I’m here just get to going and find us somewhere to get help”
“Ok, can do”, Jean Pierre says with a smile now facing forward, with a spring in his step he marches forward acting like he actually knows where he is going.
*****
“Ok, it’s my turn to complain,” says Genevieve with an aggravated tone
“Ok, let’s hear it,” says Jean Pierre
“How long have we been walking,” Genevieve asks complaining
“Two and a half hours why,” asks Jean Pierre still looking forward
“Can we take a rest I haven’t seen anything or anybody that can help us.”
“Ok, sure, it’s your call,” Jean Pierre says while sitting down on a big rock.
“Great, then let’s sit down. I think we are going in the wrong direction,” Genevieve complains looking down at the ground, letting her hair cover her face.
“Well, there really is no wrong direction when you’re lost,” says Jean Pierre playing in the mud with a stick.
“Please can we just go another way,” pleads, Genevieve
“Come on, I could have really creamed you back there when you told me about where we were...” she says with a plea and a giggle still looking down not making eye contact with Jean Pierre.
“Fine, what way would you like to go,” asks, Jean Pierre still looking down and playing in the mud with his stick that he found.
“Let’s just go north. I think I can smell a fire,” says an excited, Genevieve.
“This means we are close to a neighborhood. Maybe we could ask where we are,” says Jeanne Pierre, now looking up from what he was doing in the mud.
“Ok, let’s, go” says Genevieve hoping up on her feet ready to go now that she is rested.
“Ok, well, I just want the record to show I don’t really agree with switching paths. But, I don’t mind as long as I am with you,” He says looking down at the ground, wondering how Genevieve would take what he just said.
Genevieve looks back and jumps at him for a kiss. “I have felt the same way since we got lost! I am so happy you said that,” Genevieve says with the biggest smile on her face since the excursion began.
Jean Pierre laughs and they exchange a smooch on the lips “Wait” he whispers in concern.
“What’s wrong? You said it first not me,” Genevieve says while still trying to kiss Jean Pierre.
“What about Remy? I don’t want to mess up what you guys have,” Jean Pierre says trying to slow down Genevieve.
“Come on, it’s just us. He will never find out,” she says in a risqué voice.
“Come on, if you can’t be rational, I’ll have to be. Then it won’t be fun for either of us,” Jean Pierre yells, gently pushing Genevieve off of his waist.
“Genevieve, you are supposed to get married in five days. And then you and, Remy will have a great honeymoon and you will move to France and enjoy your life together like it’s supposed to be,” he says with a heavy sigh.
“But ,Jean Pierre it’s just us in the woods, who knows when we will either be rescued or we will find someone to help us and figure out where we are,” Genevieve says still hanging on his waist with her arms around his neck.
“Come on get down,” he says in a stern tone.
“Let’s just find our way out of here so that you can go check out your flat and then you can get home to where ever you live and get MARRIED to Remy just like you wanted this whole time,” Jean Pierre says in a neutral tone.
“Maybe that’s not what I want,” Genevieve starts to slightly cry. “I want US!”
She says hugging Jean Pierre while swaying about in the woods
“You only want me at the moment because you had lost hope about getting found or finding someone who could help us. Trust me, I want you. But, not this way,” Jean Pierre says putting his arm between himself and Genevieve to represent separation that this could just not happen, at least not this way.
“If you really want me....” Genevieve cuts him off.
“I do,” Genevieve says, still crying.
“If you really want me....when we get help and I get you back to New York, where we left from, and you talk things over with Remy, then we can see how this might work. But right now I can’t ruin your marriage and everything you could have with Remy.”
Wiping her eyes she says, “You won’t ruin my marriage. We aren’t even married yet,” Genevieve says with a smile. Her mascara and sweat runs down her face from crying.
“I already said that when we get back to New York, and you talk to Remy and figure things out with him and everything, then we can give US a shot. But for now let’s just try to stay safe and figure out where we are,” Jean Pierre squats down to look Genevieve in the eyes he helps her up, and walks away. Genevieve follows.
*****
An hour later, Genevieve’s still whimpering on about what happened previously. She lets out a big sigh of boredom and confusion.
“Genevieve, look,” Jean Pierre says with excitement
“What, another red squirrel,” Genevieve asks with sarcasm, still looking at the ground as she walks along.
“No! Look,” Jean Pierre says, pointing his finger to the land beyond.
“What?” Genevieve still seems not to really care.
“A house,” yells Jean Pierre, with an excitement in his voice. He looks over at Genevieve to see how she would react.
“A house,” Genevieve squeals. She hugs Jean Pierre and he just smiles trying to not have a repeat of what happened earlier that morning.
They both take off running at top speed. They make their way toward the house in the far distance with the smoke billowing out of the chimney.
Again, they both look at each other and realize that that was the fire they smelled in the distance. They both take off running as fast as their tired legs could carry them toward the front door of the house. They take a deep breath trying to catch their faded breaths they slum over before they knock at the door breathing heavy Genevieve stands up and gracefully walks towards the door and knocks. An older gentleman answers the door.
“Hello Sir,” Genevieve says with the biggest smile that she could possibly have.
“My friend and I have been lost for two days. Our plane malfunctioned and landed here. Could you tell us where we are,” Genevieve asks with hand gestures in case he didn’t speak English.
“Well, luckily for you, I do speak English,” says the old man chuckling in his whisky ridden voice.
“I am sorry to hear your plane crash landed. Where were you headed,” he says with a friendly smile
“Oh, it’s ok that our plane crashed. Well, not really,” Genevieve laughs nervously, still trying to catch her breath.
“But, anyway, we were on our way to France, Paris to be exact. Could you please sir , tell us where we are,” she says with a slight smile, aggravated that the guy still has not told her where they are.
“Oh, sure. You are about 20 minutes outside Romprey France and if its Paris you are looking for, you are about three and a half hours away from your destination,” he says with a smile while still looking at Genevieve up and down.

“Are you kidding me? We have been in France this whole time?” She grabs Jean Pierre from a few feet away to give him a huge hug.
“Well thank you VERY, much sir. Now, one more question is their anyway we could rent a car from someone or find a way to get to Paris?” - Genevieve shrugs of her shoulders while looking back at Jean Pierre.
“Sure, I am sorry for you being lost all this time. This is not how one should enjoy France. So here, take my truck. It’s all gassed up and ready to go. You youngsters have a good time.” He throws the keys to Genevieve who hands them right over to Jean Pierre. They run for the truck after grabbing their scuzzy luggage. Threw it in the bed of the pick-up truck and were on their way to see Paris in all its glory, but, not before stopping in a local hotel to shower and change their clothes (you can’t see Paris covered in mud, and sweat!)
Genevieve looks over at Jean Pierre as he drives down the road and gives him just one single kiss on the cheek, thanking him for helping her through her break downs and keeping his promise to help her get to her flat to check everything out.
Though they were off the beaten path, they managed to have an ok time. Genevieve got to see her flat in time and when she returned to New York, she got married to, Remy just like she planned she had no doubts that he was the right man for her.
Genevieve and, Remy took a nice honeymoon in Florida and then picked up, and moved to their Parisian flat like they always wanted. Jean Pierre, on the other hand, got better training and did a few more flights with his mentor before he started to do passenger planes again. But, now, when he has a layover in France he always has an open door with the welcome mat down.
Genevieve, and, Jean Pierre are still really good friends. Remy still does not know about their escapades in the woods. Let’s just keep that between us. Ok?
They all lived happily ever after.
(Kind of)
The End

My English assignment for the end of the year was to create a fictional story. My teacher said he didn't care what it was about as long as it was school appropriate

Lola... BRONZE said...
Lola... BRONZE, East Haven, Connecticut

― Marilyn Monroe

- Al Capone

Hey so glad you liked the article when did you read this in school?

ca, congratulations on getting your story put on teenink. ! I LOVE the character's name and I remember reading this in school! :)

DanielM SILVER said...
DanielM SILVER, Kent, Washington

"I would rather hated million times for what i did then loved a million times for what i didn't do." - Daniel Moto
" I've sought out to be the best i could posibly be but when i hit a roadblock in life what did i do, i had two choices either stay at the roadblock or i take this roadblock and make of it and go around it and achieve my goal. So, what will it be?"- Daniel Mathia

"People take love like its a four letter word or just a phrase that you tell people or your friends all the time. But in reality love is much bigger than a merely phrase or 4 letter word. Instead love is a genuine promise or covenant to that special person."-Daniel Mathia

“Why change yourself when you were made perfect and wonderfully by the creator of everything?” – Daniel Mathia

“If live is not hurtin then were really not living in.” – B. Reith

I really liked your storyline and your ending was good. Only suggestion is that you should write in paragraph or indent you're paragraph cause it was hard to read for me a little bit. Other than that great job