Mist-erious Superhero

I get snickers in the hallway. People don’t give me the time of day, but I’m all right with that. If I were popular, I wouldn’t want to talk to me either. Someone shouts, “Hey Ned! Did you hear? Mist has struck again!”

I roll my eyes. Fools. “Mist” doesn’t exist.

People push past me and crowd around the guy’s phone, watching the news report.

“The mayor’s daughter was kidnapped this morning.”

I cannot believe that these high school freaks actually listen to the news during their free time- and they think that I’m weird.

“The kidnapper was found by his car on route 112, hands and feet bound by ice…”

What a waste of my time. I am not a model citizen, so why act like one?

“Mayor Sheldington’s daughter was later found at her house, sleeping in bed. Thanks to Mist.”

I leave the barren walls, graffiti strewn lockers, and guarded hallways of what everyone else calls “school”.
I stop by the bank on my way home. My hands get chilled. Ignoring the frost forming on my fingers, I give the bank manager a handshake- thanking him for his time- and leave.

The news headline that next day reads: “Mist Has Struck At The Bank! Get The Chilling Scoop About The Apprehended Bank Robbers!”

Fools. Mist doesn’t exist.

ShadowRealms said...
Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:07 am:
I felt like this artice was a bit confusing at first, but then was cleared up. I liked how the main character was a nerd, yet still felt suppierior to the fellow students. All in all, a good job. But I do wish there was a bit more to it. Who is the Mist, why does everyone but the main character believe in his existance? 

alex_gold replied...
Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:08 am :
Well this was a piece that I submitted into a contest and the max word count was 250, so sorry for the short length! Also I was hoping the story would be a little confusing becaue that was atmosphere that I was going for! So thanks for that! :) Your comment has really helped me out thank you so much! Oh! and by the way, if you read the story again and read into the words a little bit more, you will find out who Mist is!

ShadowRealms replied...
Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:51 pm :
I am guessing the Mist is a superhero, and if confusion was the air you were going for, you NAILED it! I'm glad my comments helped and I was lucky to read this story!