Grazing A Mule | Teen Ink

Grazing A Mule

By Miguel Suarez BRONZE, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Miguel Suarez BRONZE, Hoffman Estates, Illinois

The sun's rays warmed my skin. It was dawn and the sun's colors of reds, oranges, blues, and greens filled the sky. Dew sat on the purple grass and as I tripped trying to grab a horse shoe, I felt that my hands were soaked. It was a bit chilly and I needed a coat to keep warm. I reflected upon what had happened the night before. I knew that what I did was not good. You see, that is what this sport does to you. You are forced to say the most cruelest and coldest things that any human being could imagine. Hitler, in my case, was a moral man, yet here I was alive and well, while 11 million had died and their memory meant nothing to me.
    The weather was so lovely, I could feel life again. It was a sunny morning, but yet one could see fog around the plantation. The evergreen trees gave the aroma of Christmas. The mansion with its colonial build was watching over the lands. I loved these lands, the horses were grazing and the cows were as well. The chickens were ready to give me their eggs. Jebediah came to me, "masta I have tended to the chillen. "
    "Thank you boy, now go git me ma morin paper" From the East came the mules with their rampage and desire to destroy. I remember it like it was yesterday....
    The vermin, well, they began to cry. The boys, so many of them were so young, some even forced into the faction because of the tactics that the guerillas used. They began to weep, what a pathetic sight it was. With their crying they made up for what the sky could not do and was forced to watch. The cloudless day continued on and General Malachi, stood there in front of them with his hands behind his back:"Do not cry for you deserve it not. Y'all did not even hinder a tear nor a motion of sympathy for the villages erased from the face of this earth. Do not come here and tell us that y'all are reformed, for I know each every one of yous sons of the same mother. You disgusting collection of specimens, how dare you contaminate the soil with your acidic tears that burn the ground in which y'all stand on. What I know is this, and hear me, you are condemned not by me, but by the people that you so supposedly served. Look at yourselves now, once a feared group of parasites, now the vermins y'all really are. It's 'bout time that this nation be relived of  you worthless sacks of nothing." He stood there as the men with their hands in chains tried in vain to hug one another. They pleaded out loud, all one thousand of them, some even on their knees to be spared. General Malachi must have considered it for he let them beg for ten minutes as he stood erect in front of the firing squad of only 24. One of the advisers brought him a small white table and a small white chair. He then brought him his afternoon tea accompanied by bread and butter. He sat down and had his tea, butter, and bread. General Malachi sat there as a whole set of 1000 men were in front of him and the majestic capitol. He sat there and ate for those ten minutes. It was then, after he finished snacking, that he rose up from his small white chair and with a flick if his hand gave the command to fire. General Malachi could not even finish his flick when the first of the men dropped dead. 24 butchers opened fire on 1000 on those men and boys. A great wind blew from the West that left the cherry blossom trees bare. The great swarm of blossoms engulfed the square and with hurricane winds and encircled the 1000 men, until the bullets shredded each and every petal out of existence.  They dropped like dominos, row after row of them fell like cattle. They were given no time to think, but one must remember that it would take each person to take down about 42 people. There was such a surge of blood on such a concentrated spot that it saturated the square to where the white capitol was stained red. It splattered all over the square and unto the capitol only missing the small white ensemble that had served General Malachi. The firing squad was covered with the same blood that was the capitol, including General Malachi. This did not stop the firing squad, they continued on. They did not stop, they did not even quiver, they continued on. Now, although these were men that were denied food and proper water, they did not go down easily. They fell, but at the same time no matter how many bullets were fired they would not go down.  After about an hour the firing squad had exhausted all of its bullets. All the men were now on the ground. The prisoners, the ones that were left, laid on ground. Many were screaming in pain while others just lay quite and motionless in order not to be perceived by the 24 men under the command of the general. The butchers took out their machetes and began to finish their job.  Since there were so many this process took quite some time. One by one they were butchered and one by one they were forgotten. All, but one, was not spared. He hid under about four bodies and almost asphyxiated under the immense weight, but Sanosuke made it alright. After about 8 hours of non stop work the 24 men and General Malachi took then on their jeeps and left the area for the others to do the job of cleaning up. Sanosuke got up once he heard nothing more then the gentle breeze. The sun was beginning to set and Sanosuke stood up to view the 999 men that lay there, motionless. He saw around and there was a deathly silence one that was more powerful that whatever sound can be created. The bare trees surrounded the square a the blood red sky began to wither more and more away. Sanosuke tried to take it and absorb it all, but it was impossible, in fact he was brought to his knees. He began to sob for all he knew lay there, motionless. The square was now more dry and his screams echoed for miles away for the birds heard them and transmitted them until every bird had been told and screamed the same melancholy cry that Sanosuke had. Sanosuke made a run for it. He ran mile after mile. He was barefoot and his feet were no longer connections of his flesh, but two callus blocks of skin that served as his running shoes.

Sanosuke came to stopped after he was met with two groups of men. Sanosuke stopped and said, “Men I need your help”

“Boy, who do you think you are?” responded one of the men.

“Men, please I have run and run for years now. I feel like I am just going in circles, the same routine, no change, no mercy. I survived it all, but I have no where to go.

One of the men looked at Sanosuke’s feet and knew that he was not lying. The same men was leading a group of fifty-thousand or so. He looked at Sanosuke down from his horse.

“You must be some crazy son of gun, because, boy, I have never seen anything like you before.”

Sanosuke asked, “Where are y’all headin?”

“To reclaim the Holy Lands from the infidels”

Sanosuke asked the same question to the other group of a thousand or so.

“We are on the search of El Dorado.”

Sanosuke wanted to join either group on their respected expeditions, but was turned away with a laugh. So, Sanosuke ran even more. As Sanosuke ran, he ran through many fires that blazed the pink forest. The warmth of the fires was comforting, but his lungs thought otherwise. Sanosuke collapsed and blacked out. Sanosuke was saved by the fairies of the North. Sanosuke was told that the only way to repay the fairies for their help was by charming the queen of the South and making her his wife.
TO BE CONTINUED...

I hope people get the bigger picture.