Chapter 1 of Destiny: Mysteries | Teen Ink

Chapter 1 of Destiny: Mysteries

By BenEllenSeries BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
BenEllenSeries BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Forgive your enemies but never forget their names - J.F.K

Chapter 1 - Weird Occurrences

I thought, I 14 year old Ben Rollins Ellen was better off knowing who my parents were: to not be an orphan, to not be a kid in the shadows, to not be an unknown face, to discover all the mysteries in my life. I thought that my life had been one that had seized to exist to many individuals, to me everything in my life changed when it happened. The day that happened, I became a person, I became me.

It was a cold December day at Denver Junior High, a free school for poor families and orphans such as myself. The usual was happening, I had: 5th grade level math (even though I was in 8th grade), then “newly learners” language arts, after that physical education; the class that didn’t bore me to tears, afterwards I would have Social Studies (a class that also bored me to tears), then finally art; a class that I could express myself in.

Once all the turmoil was finished I would have lunch at 1:30 P.M. By now I was starved and couldn’t wait to eat my food even if it was horse kabob. Though as always I was the last in line to receive food. I waited for about 10 minutes, then I was in the front of the line and ready to get my food. I walk up to the food counter. “What would you like kid?” Ms.Phoenix the only lunch lady at my school asked. “Is there any Pizza left?” I questioned “No, theres just rotten yogurt and Sloppy Joe’s.” Ms.Phoenix answered with her grouchy voice “Okay, I’ll take Sloppy Joe’s.” I answered.
Knowing how terrible the Sloppy Joe’s tasted from my school I decided to eat “it”. I would unwillingly refuse the Sloppy Joe’s if I was a normal kids, though I’m homeless, an orphan, and desperate. I couldn’t pass off this since there was no food I could find in an unknown city. So, I grabbed my lunch and went off. I found a table where I could be alone, one that has no people.

I started to eat my lunch; I couldn’t help but to feel sick. Every bite caused me disgust and turmoil. Though I thought I was capable to eat it all. By the time I was done with the Sloppy Joe’s, my stomach felt like a tsunami had been going through and causing distress. I couldn’t handle the pain, and I threw up. The whole lunch room was then filled with laughter and disgust. I was to embarrassed to remain in the lunchroom, so I ran out with tears in my eyes and a feeling of failure.

I keep running until I couldn’t hear the sorrowing laughter behind me. I then hid under a flight of stairs filled with spiders and cobwebs. “I can’t believe I did that” I yelled out making my self feel down “I’m such an idiot!” At that moment I got struck in the head with a 10 inch by 10 inch plank of wood and was knocked out.

I woke up at the same spot, under the stairs. I couldn’t see a thing, it was pitch black. I climbed out of the stairs and found that it was night and I was trapped in the school. I couldn’t believe that no one came looking for me, but what do you expect from a free school. I stood up and found that this was a better place to stay for the night instead of a cruddy street in an unknown city. I looked up in the sky and noticed the elegant stars glaring in my eyes. I yawned louder then a hyena laughing after hearing the funniest joke ever told. I walked up from under the same flight of stairs I had been perched under; I walked slowly and carefully being aware that there may be security guards at my school at night. I approached the top of the stairs with deep fear that there would be someone waiting right around the corner of the end of the stairs waiting to catch me and send me to a Juvenile Detention Center. With the fear in my thoughts I keep walking with my heart beating faster then a cheetah feet pouncing when they’re running 70 miles an hour. I turned the corner and saw a very surprising thing, nothing. I found that I was the only person in the school and that I was free to do as I please.

I keep walking and after a few minutes I started hearing someone saying my name in a creepy voice. “Ben...Ben...Ben!” The voice blurted out “Ben...Ben...Ben!” The voice continued “Ben you may not know what you are capable of, you may think of yourself as: ignorant, non-existing, an unknown face, and many other sad, but not true things you consider traits about you.” The voice continued on. “You are destined for great things Charlie; though you may not know it, but you are the key to solving many mysterious in this world, including you own.” He explained “do you mean?” “Yes, who your parents are and why they gave you up for adoption.” I was so happy to find out that I could finally solve the mysteries in my life and discover my destiny.

After talking to a man (who I couldn’t see) about my destiny, I felt like I had gone crazy, though it couldn’t have been a figment of my imagination since it all seemed so real and I could picture it clearly. I decided to rest for the night under the same stairs I had been under while I was knocked out earlier that day.

I woke up the next morning at about 7:00 A.M, 30 minutes before school starts. I washed myself with water from a sink. I then went up stairs to the teachers lounge to find some food, all I could find was Diet Coke and Starbucks Coffee brand banana bread. I took a Diet Coke and 2 banana breads. I walked to a table and started eating my banana bread and sipping my diet Coke. It took me about 5 minutes to finish my “breakfast.” I then left the teachers lounge and went back under the stairs I had slept under last night.

I then realized that mysteries were meant to be keep mysteries and to not be uncovered. I realized that if my parents really wanted to be with me then they would have never given me up for one, and second if they really care about me they would’ve been looking for me earlier.

The days pasted and my life stayed the same. I found that my life is perfect just the way it is and that every mystery is meant to be keep. I decided that if life was not supposed to be perfect. If so, then we would not be human. I decided that if my parents were looking for me the day would come when they would find me, and that day would come soon.

The next day a mysterious man walked up to me and handed me a letter. “Wait what’s this?” I questioned, he didn’t reply and just walked down an alley. I looked into the alley and all I saw was darkness. I opened the letter and was surprise to see a form of cursive that I had never seen before though I had never learned cursive before since that was not one of my “prime focuses.” I started to read the letter although it was difficult.

Dear Benjamin Ellen,

I have found that you have decided to not discover the mysteries in your life. It is to be awareness that you are trying to avoid the truth about your life, thats not a good idea. It’s best to find out the truth about your life, then you would know who you are in life. From my awareness it seems that you feel like your an unknown face in this world. Though us in the Society know who you are and your background. We know your birth name, who your parents are and why you need to discover your mysteries. Choice your destiny, know everything about your life or suffer everyday wondering what would have happened if you choice the other path. It’s your choice. To let you know Ben we here in the Society now everything about you.

Yours truly,

Archibald England IV

“Who is Archibald England? And how do I know him?” I asked myself. How could he even contact me if I don’t know him? Anyways, the whole letter just seemed weird to me. Then again I do have a weird life. I got up from the cold hard concrete and started back to my trash bags otherwise known as “home.”

When I got back, I started thinking about the letter and this so called “Archibald England.” Did this have something to do with the voice I had heard earlier at school? Or was it just some random guy playing a prank? So many questions, so little answers. My last thoughts before drifting off to sleep was the fact the writer of the letter claimed to know who my parents were.

The next day at school I wondered about all the mysteries I have been reminded of in the past few days. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep during math class. All I heard was

“Ben, you are The Controller of All Life and the only one who can stop the...”

I was then woken up by my teacher who then yelled out “Ben Ellen, please escort yourself down to the principle office!”

“Yes, ma’m.” I answered feeling scared.

On the way to the principles office I couldn’t stop thinking about what the voice meant by “The Controller of All Life.” “Life is everything, right?” I questioned myself along the way. “Possibly it could mean that I can control life or something like that.” I sounded crazy bickering on about what “The Controller of All Life” means.

When I arrived to the principle’s office I was drenched with fear and sweat. When I walked in the principal was giving me a dark glare almost as if he was a tiger about to pounce on his pray. “ Come in Ben” he renounced. “Look I’ll just say it plain and simple, we have footage of you sleeping in the school a few nights ago.” “But...the Sloppy Joe’s and the...” “Enough Ben!” “Don’t make any more excuses.” “Two weeks of detention after school, everyday now leave my office at once!” “Yes, Mr. Lynch.” I walked out the principals office with the urge to smack him upside the head.

The rest of my day was oddly normal, it wasn’t until I got “home” that the voices continued on.

“Ben don’t give up on faith.”

“Never give up on life.”
“Lastly, don’t ever give up on finding out the mysteries in your life.” I just stood still as if I was in the middle of a sci-fi horror film waiting to be killed.

“Who are you!”, I yelled at the top of my lungs.

“Just don’t forget it Ben, promise me you won’t forget what I have told you.”

“What the hell is going on with my life?” I thought. The voices started to subside away.

The next morning, I woke up to an odd buzzing noise. I thought It was just a bus or a car but then it grew louder by the second. I quickly stood up and was surprised to see a huge bee-hive. Only it was green. “This must be a dream so I started back to my sleeping bag but then a huge beam of light shot out of the center of the “bee-hive”. I thought I was going crazy like a man would after several days without water. The bee-hive light started to fade out, but it was then followed by voices.

“Ben, you are different then anyone else at your school,” The voice renounced.

“What do you mean?” I questioned.

“I mean that you are destined for great thing,” The voice continued.

“Yeah, yeah. I already got told all of this by a man named Archibald and a strange man I’ve never meet before,” I answered back with the feeling that I was in a prank TV show.

“Ben, your parents have thought you were dead for the past 14 years, at least thats what they were told by the mind benders,” The voice announced.

“The mind benders? Seriously, who ever is in charge of this prank show can come out now,” I answered back.

“Ben, this is not a prank show, this is your future,” The strange voice continued.

“Yeah right, I’m going asleep,” I answered with the feeling of deep anger.

I then crawled back over to my sleeping bag with anger deeper than Zeus’ might. I closed my eyed and feel asleep. I dreamed of a man and a woman fighting dragons and trolls. I’m sure it would’ve been a weird occurrence a few days ago, but what has been going on with my life is defiantly weirder then any of my dreams.

This is the first Chapter from the book I'm writing Destiny: Mysteries.

on Feb. 16 2012 at 6:34 pm

COMMENT PLZ!!!!!