One Shot | Teen Ink

One Shot

January 16, 2012
By TrevorK BRONZE, Springboro, Ohio
TrevorK BRONZE, Springboro, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Shuffling through the crunch of leaves the rain begins to fall. I need to stay hidden thought Jack. A patrol of Vietcong soldiers walked by. If it was not for the grass and Jack's gillie suit, he would have been spotted. He moved forward hoping no one would see him.

His job was to find the Vietnamese General and take him out. Jack was a United States Marin Sniper. All his training had been for this moment and he was just 100 yards from his shooting point. He was tired, hungry, and thirsty. This mission had taken four days so far and it was going to take one more day to get away. It was getting boring just inching toward his target. It was very windy today. He had to take that into account when making his shot. He had tried to keep one thing out of his mind…if he missed his first shot then he was going to die because he chose to do this mission solo. People told him it was a suicide mission, but he didn't care. Only 50 more yards. He decided to take his shot after taking 25 more yards. Total, he was 1025 yards away. He took out his M40A3 sniper rifle. The wind had died down so there was only a slight breeze. He was using heavier rounds so they were more likely to drop. He found his target, settled his breathing, aimed a little above the heart. BOOM! He fired his shot and one shot only.


The author's comments:
I hope people are wondering about the ending and choose what ending they think happened.