The Gift | Teen Ink

The Gift

By Chase47 BRONZE, Ocala, Florida
Chase47 BRONZE, Ocala, Florida

My only regret is that I have but one life to lose for my country.

“It is forbidden!” The weary old man proclaimed, but yet again my curiosity got the best of me. As I failed to listen, I plunged into the heart of the cave not knowing what I had gotten myself into. As soon as I stepped in, the entrance collapsed trapping me in the “Forbidden” cave.

I must have walked for hours and bumped into every wall in the cave but I still did not find any evidence of the “Gift”. As I traveled deeper and deeper into the dreaded cave, I began to feel a hunger starting in my stomach. I soon took out my backpack and began to search for food. I then realized the rats had chewed a hole in my backpack and eaten my food. As I sat there in pitch black darkness, I began to list out my problems. I had no food, no water, no way of exiting , no sight, and overall I had no idea if this “Gift” even exists. I began to wonder, was the old man right?

Here and there I thought I heard voices, only to be misled and then run into a wall. As much as I hated to admit it I was beginning to go insane. I haven’t had any decent water or cooked food in two days. The only food I have eaten was a raw mouse I caught while trying to catch some bugs. The only water I have gotten is some water that drips off the stalactites sometimes when it rains. I miss my family, my pets, my home, and I have started to cherish the little things on which I took for granted before I became trapped in this cave.

Here I am, five days after I was trapped. I have started hallucinating. I’m not sure how I can still write correctly. I have not caught any other food, and the stalactites have stopped dripping so as I lay here on the cold dark floor I want to let everyone in my life know I appreciate everything they have done and I am thankful for it all. This may be the last time I write my thoughts so knowing this; I want everyone to know to stay away from this cave!

To this day nobody has ever set foot in that cave and nobody has ever seen this “Gift.” I now ask that we lower our heads in silence to show respect for John Edward Jones who died in this cave.