An Earnest Attempt | Teen Ink

An Earnest Attempt

By SkyeOfLights GOLD, Spartanburg, South Carolina
SkyeOfLights GOLD, Spartanburg, South Carolina

“Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some underculture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals.”

To get to the other sector of the city was nearly impossible. This great endeavor could leave Jordyn either dead or free. She wanted to venture to the part of the city where you could learn to fight, unlike her sector where she learned the ways of the pacifists.

Jordyn wanted to be a warrior. She didn't have the eloquent and calming voice of her sector's people. Instead, hers was prosaic and rough. Meant for giving orders in the heat of battle.

Treading carefully, she made her way through the city, hiding behind every building and poplar she could find. Getting past the cameras was easy, but the men at every corner were a different story. She needed to be very quiet and careful on this long trek.

By the third hour of her journey, she was prodding heavily. That's when she slipped.

She was hiding behind a car when her hand slipped and hit the handle of the car and set off the alarm. Instantly, men swarmed around her and she felt the resignation envelop her. She knew she was going to die. She knew she didn't make it. As she was injected with poison and began to slip away, she regretted nothing, only praised herself for her earnest efforts, in her attempt to be who she really was and not what others told her to be.

My English teacher told us we needed to write a short story using 10 of our vocabulary words. He said it only had to be a paragraph, which is why this is so short. It's about finding, and pursuing your true self.