Jade and the lost sea of Chondria | Teen Ink

Jade and the lost sea of Chondria

November 22, 2011
By Shariccie BRONZE, Harford, Maryland
Shariccie BRONZE, Harford, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

"Mama, Mama, my scales are starting to grow in!" She wailed. Jades mother, Teresa, swam over to her daughter. Jade jumped up and down in excitement. She couldn't believe she was starting to develop her scales. Her mom always knew she was a late bloomer but she would have never thought she would start growing her scales this soon.

"Oh My Goodness, that's wonderful baby!" She leaned over and gave her a kiss on her forehead. "Your father would have been so proud..." Tears filled in her mother’s eyes as she remembered the day his life was taken away from her. She wiped them quickly and placed her hands in her pants pocket. Jades father died three months before she was born.
Her mother would tell her great stories and adventures he had as a mermaid. But most importantly she would never forget to tell Jade how much her father has loved her and how he always made sure that she had everything she needed to make her happy. Teresa laughed at the memories she had when she was carrying Jade.

























*****
He swam over and handed her a plate of fried scallops, rye seaweed and a piece of pumpernickel bread. "Here you go a nice warm breakfast for you and the baby." He
smiled as he sat the plate down on the coffee table next to her.

“Thank you sweetheart." She kissed him lightly on the cheek, as her rubbed her stomach in circular motions. He laid his hand on her stomach and looked up at her in amazement. "She's kicking!" He smiled. "She's going to be just like her Mama!” He laughed and gave her a quick kiss on her cheek.

"Teresa, you don't know how much I'm longing for her to come in this world! I'm going to teach her how to fish, find sea glass shells when she starts diving school, and I'm even going to teach her how to read the book of Sea life!”

He grabbed the big fat book off the shelf and placed it on his lap with excitement. Flipping through the pages, Teresa placed her hand gently on his shoulder.


"Honey, I think you’re a bit overwhelmed about the baby.” She laughed then gently pulled the book from him and placed it under the coffee table. She then sat down and cuddled under his arms. "You’re going to be a wonderful father. Liah is going to be so happy to have a father like you in her life.” He turned towards her in complete curiosity.


"Liah? I thought we voted on Katherine?”
“Katherine?” She questioned. “She’s a mermaid not a princess. Hmm, maybe we should try something else” She replied thoughtfully. He wrapped his arms around her fins and then immediately jumped out of his chair. “I got it! What about Jade? Meaning Precious and Delicate.” She pondered a little bit and cocked her head slightly to the side as he waited for an answer.
A smile spread across her face. “I like the sound of that. Jade…” She smiled again as she got up and kissed him on the nose.

“Jade it is…” She repeated. He rubbed her stomach in circular motions and knelt down by Teresa side. “Hey Jade, Daddy’s here. Were going to take good care of you. Were going to have so much fun! You’re going to have your first walk, first talk, your first swim… my little one…your going to like it with us… we love you so much… mommy and daddy are here to take care of you.”


Teresa was pleased with her husband and the steps he took to complete his way as a new father. Teresa snapped back into reality and wiped the last fresh tears that trickled down her face.

She laughed at how silly she looked as she turned her attention to Jade as she rubbed her scales back and forth in amazement.

The incident years ago made it seem like she never let her baby girl go. Her husband was caught in a fishing net and the incident hasn’t been mentioned since.

Shaking off that thought; Jades mother swam over to her daughter in amusement.

"Sweetie, I hope you know all this sudden...change... doesn't just happen over time." Jades mother warned as she sat Jade down on the red satin couch they had in their living room.

"Well... yeah, I guess... I mean how long could it take?" Jade laughed as she bounced up and down on the couch.

"Well, sweetheart, it took me about six or seven-

"Days?" Jade squealed with excitement.

"No honey," Her mother patiently replied.

"Weeks?!" Jade screamed again as she swirled her body in repeated motions.

"NO Jade, it usually takes six to seven years to develop around your age."

Jade immediately stopped bouncing in all the tension and stared at her mom in shock.

"But-" She whined.

"Just think of it as.... a maturing process, sweetie it will all work out just fine." She warmed Jade into a hug.

"Now, I guess I can give this to you now, eh?"
Carefully, she tied a rhinestone necklace around her neck, and then clipped on some sort of gem following with it.

"Mom? What is it?" Jade replied in awe.

"It was meant for you Dad to give this to you, but...you know." Her mom trialed off.
She smiled weakly as she turned her attention from Jade to the necklace.

She told Jade the one greatest adventure as he traveled out to sea just to find marvelous treasures hidden underneath.

"Underneath where?" Jade asked.
.

"I don't know," Jades mother laughed.

"Some things your father just wouldn't tell me."

She continued as she took a sip of her mint coffee.

Jade thought for a second and then placed her hands delicately in her lap.

"Mama?"

"Hmm," She sipped her coffee once more.

"I want to be just like Dad when I grow up."

Jades mother laughed.

"I know you do sweet pea."

She took another sip of coffee, letting it warm her cold hands in the freezing water.


The author's comments:
This article originally has been posted as a novel/book as the first chapter, but teen ink has not accepted my work. So I decided to submit it as a written article first and then (if viewers like it) submit it as a novel.