A strange Visit | Teen Ink

A strange Visit

November 17, 2011
By sofi11 BRONZE, Sj, Arizona
sofi11 BRONZE, Sj, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Scene 1
He grinned at me from across the table. “I promised myself I’d never hire you.”
“And why is that?” Peter asked me. I didn’t return his smile. I didn’t and never much cared for him, and I liked him even less when he was sitting across the table from my desk. He had come in search of me.

“I always figured you wouldn’t be the type of man who mixes business with his personal live, and I promised myself the day we were introduced that you and I were going to be the best of friends.” He took a breath and studied me for a second with his narrowed eyes. He stopped gazing at me for a second and starred at the floor and said.
“You shouldn’t make promises you can’t keep, not even to yourself.” I laughed not put off by his manner. But he was that kind of man who refused to believe that a woman might not find him attractive, might not be flattered by his attentions; might, in fact, prefer her own company to his. Insults rolled off his oblivious shoulders because he simply refused to believe a woman might mean them. I meant them. That’s what my sister loved in him his confidence. I think she married him, because she was so in love with his confidence.
“You and I would have had a great time.” Pete said.
Only if he was lying on the floor and I was kicking him hard enough for him to cry, I thought. “What do you want?” I asked.
“I want you to find my wife,” he said. “She’s been missing for two days, and I can’t go to the police.”

I leaned back in my chair, almost unable to breathe. I knew why he had come to me. He knew I was able to find Lilly without help and in less time than any one else would. He knew my darkest secret. It was in the past and now I was a famous lawyer working in my own firm; but she was my sister. I had to help him.
“And why exactly can’t you tell the police she is missing?”
Peter gave me a weak smile. He cleared his throat. His gaze darted away from mine, as he was terrified I would kill him right then, “I hired mumble mumble . . .” He spoke indistinctly.
I didn’t catch it, and the part of it I did catch, I didn’t believe. “One more time,” I told him. “And this time, tell me so I can hear you.”
He still didn’t meet my eyes. In fact, he was staring at the ceiling in search of something or someone who could safe him. Looking in to space and with a regretful look he said.” I hired these guys to kill her.” Yeah, that was what I thought he said at first, but I could still not believe it. I knew he was a jerk but I never expected him to hate my sister in that way or to commit an action these serious against her. Desperately I yelled at him. “And you want me to find the body?”
He shook his head. “She’s still alive.


The author's comments:
It is a Scene I wrote for my english class.